What's new

1960's Horror & Sc-Fi not on DVD (1 Viewer)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Well, The Monolith Monsters stars William Sylvester, who was in another film about a monolith.

I'd love to have all these minor gems on DVD, most of all Robinson Crusoe on Mars.

John Stell

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Stell
Some other 1960s odds and ends:

Cabinet of Caligari (1962)
Black Zoo (1963)
Diary of A Madman (1963)
Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Stopped Living and Became Mixed-up Zombies (1964)
Two On A Guillotine (1964)
Billy the Kid vs Dracula (1965)
Picture Mommy Dead (1966)
Games (1967)
Blood of Dracula’s Castle (1969)
Eye of the Cat (1969)
Ghastly Ones (1969)
Multiple Maniacs (1969)
Night of Bloody Horror (1969)
Nightmare in Wax (1969)
Psychopath, The (1965)

Mike Graham

Supporting Actor
Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed was one of the first older movies that I was looking for on disc back when I bought my first player a few years ago. Having watched it on late night cable years ago, this is by far one of the more interesting adaptations, mainly because it seems to take on these strange film-noir conventions (Peter Crushing's Frankenstein blackmails a young married couple, the police soon become suspicious, stolen bodies, etc). Here's hoping Warner can get this one out the door sometime next year.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I was watching a few of these films recently on VHS, so I thought a bump was in order. Some of these titles really cry out for a DVD release.:D

Derek M Germano

Second Unit
Come to think of it, we really need a 16:9 wide screen DVD release of THE DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS- hopefully someone will come up with a legitimate release of this title.

StevenFC

Second Unit
Crack in the World and Colossus:The Forbin Project. Bring 'em on brother. I love 'the earth is doomed' movies.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
ONIBABA is out now; a sterling-quality Criterion disc. FRANKENSTEIN MUST BE DESTROYED is coming at the end of this month, along with TASTE THE BLOOD OF DRACULA, both from Warner.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
I recently picked up 2 great euro-horror films from the 1960's Virgin of Nuremburg(Horror Castle), and Mill of the Stone Women. Both are presented in really nice anamorphic prints (especially Virgin) and are 2 of the best Euro horror films made in the 60's.

It's releases like this which really make me love DVDs!

Joseph Goodman

Stunt Coordinator
MGM actually does have 'scope 35mm elements for YONGARY, believe it or not.

WAR OF THE GARGANTUAS & FRANKENSTEIN CONQUERS THE WORLD are planned for sometime later this year by Classic Media, who's titles are usually distributed by Sony Music.

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
"CURSE OF THE UNDEAD"
"NOT OF THIS EARTH"-THE ORIGINAL with BEVERLY GARLAND
"BRIDES OF DRACULA"
"PHANTOM OF THE OPERA"-1962
"CURSE OF THE WEREWOLF"
"I WAS A TEENAGE WEREWOLF"
"I WAS A TENNAGE FRANKENSTEIN"
"ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS"
"BLOOD OF THE VAMPIRE"
"CABINET OF DR. CALGARI"-1962
"BLOOD OF DRACULA"
"BURN WITCH BURN"
"VILLAGE OF THE DAMNED"

"BLOOD AND ROSES"

Derek M Germano

Second Unit
As for BLOOD AND ROSES, let's hope that when Paramount finally gets around to it, they release the uncut European version.

JulianK

Supporting Actor
Alan,

Burn, Witch, Burn is available in the UK from Warner Home Video, under it's original title Night of the Eagle, in a box set with Zoltan Hound of Dracula (aka Devil's Dog) and a hideous pan-and-scan Masque of the Red Death. The set is called Horror Classics.

Village of the Damned is due in the US later this year, from MGM, along with Children of the Damned.

Attack of the Crab Monsters was briefly available, but was quickly deleted. Certainly Amazon had it listed at one point, but it may not have been entirely legit.

R-T-C Tim

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim Young
Wow, it is good to see that a fair number of these titles are now out on DVD, but there are still quite a few to go.

One more to cross off the list though is 'Chase a Crooked Shadow' (1958). It is coming out tomorrow in the UK from Optimum. No extras, but the print is good, and the film comes recommended to thriller fans - it is particularly reminiscent of the Hammer thrillers of the '60s.

I've taken a look at the new disc: Chase a Crooked Shadow

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Wow. This thread is a blast from the past.

the TOHO Kaiju films of that era (which I won't bother to list as there's a fat chance in hell we'll ever get the original Japanese Language versions).
Glad to see how off base my predictions were. :laugh:

Anyhow, I'm still waiting for Island of Lost Souls, Twins of Evil, Vampire Circus, The Gorgon, Burn Witch Burn, The Skull, Dr Terror's House of Horrors, Kongo, The Beast With Five Fingers, The Uninvited and uncut OSL versions of Destroy All Monsters, King Kong vs Godzilla, Rodan and Mothra.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks