1960's Horror & Sc-Fi not on DVD

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jay E, Jun 9, 2003.

1. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

There are so many horror & sci-fi films released in the 1960's that are not on DVD, that I decided to make a list of the ones I want to see most on DVD. I have a multi-region player so there are some films not on this list that I own that are not available in region 1 (ie: Conqueror Worm, Day of the Triffids). Is there anyone else who is dying to see some of these treats from the 60's, or any others, on DVD?

Brides of Dracula
    Burn, Witch, Burn
    Children of the Damned
    Crack in the World
    Curse of the Fly
    Curse of the Werewolf
    Damned, The
    Dr. Terror's House of Horrors
    Dracula Has Risen From the Grave
    Earth Dies Screaming, The
    Evil of Frankenstein
    Fearless Vampire Killers, The
    Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed
    Frozen Dead, The
    Gorgan, The
    Green Slime, The
    Hysteria
    Illustrated Man, The
    Innocents, The
    Invasion
    Island of Terror
    It
    Lost World, The
    Maniac
    Night of the Big Heat
    Nightmare
    One Million Years BC
    Panic in Year Zero
    Paranoic
    Power, The
    Projected Man, The
    Robinson Crusoe on Mars
    Scream of Fear (Taste of Fear)
    Skull, The
    Torture Chamber of Dr. Sadism
    Torture Garden
    Unearthly Stranger
    Village of the Damned

2. Jim Peavy

Jim Peavy Supporting Actor

I have a couple discs with a One Million Years BC trailer on them, so I believe this is coming.

Of the ones you listed, I'd be interested in these:

Brides of Dracula
    Crack in the World
    Curse of the Werewolf
    Dr. Terror's House of Horrors
    Evil of Frankenstein
    Fearless Vampire Killers, The
    Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed
    Frozen Dead, The
    Green Slime, The
    One Million Years BC
    Projected Man, The

I'd love a nice release of Les Yeux Sans Visage. Though technically not the 60's (1959), it really is, if you know what I mean.

3. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John
  4. Jim_K

Jim_K Executive Producer

um.... yeah. [​IMG] I grew up on a steady diet of these films & I'd love for these to get released on DVD.

You've got a very good list which I agree with. Without racking my brain too much (i've got a massive migraine) off the top of my head I'll add Hammer's Captain Clegg (an oversight if your one of the 20 people worldwide who's seen it) & the TOHO Kaiju films of that era (which I won't bother to list as there's a fat chance in hell we'll ever get the original Japanese Language versions).

5. Jim Peavy

Jim Peavy Supporting Actor

Oh gosh, yes. How could I forget? I'd love beautiful discs of (off the top of my head):

King Kong Escapes (both subbed and orig. dub)
    War of the Gargantuas
    The Magic Serpent
    Matango (Attack of the Mushroom People)
    Gorath
    Atragon
    Frankenstein Conquers the World (Frankenstein vs. Baragon)
    Mothra
    Latitude Zero
    The Human Vapor

All the Godzilla and Gamera films, of course.

Many of these are out in Japan (R2), but with no english subtitles. And the ones that have been relesed in R1 are dubbed (or even worse, dubbed and pan & scanned). Alas, I agree: don't hold your breath for the original Japanese Language versions released here anytime soon [​IMG] .

6. JeffMc

JeffMc Supporting Actor

jeffmc
    THE FROZEN DEAD is available on a budget disc from Catcom co-featured with THEY SAVED HITLER'S BRAIN. I've heard it's just a standard full-frame transfer, but decent for the price (app. $6) until a "remastered" version ever shows up.

7. Sean Campbell

Sean Campbell Second Unit

Robinson Crusoe on Mars... I remember watching it on tv when I was a kid and thinking it was the best thing ever. I'd certainly love to see it on disc. Other 60s movies that I want are The Valley of Gwangi ( which is coming soon I believe ) and all those great Toho movies [​IMG]

BTW, for those with multi region players, One Million Years BC is available in the British Isles.

8. Jae E

Jae E Agent

I'll add these to the list:

Phantom of the Opera (1962)
    The Curse of the Mummy's Tomb
    A Study in Terror
    The Chamber of Horrors (1966)
    Witchfinder General (The Conqueror Worm)
    The Two Faces of Dr. Jekyll
    Witchcraft (1964)
    Master of the World

9. Peter M Fitzgerald

Peter M Fitzgerald Screenwriter

Peter Fitzgerald
    This thread rocks my world! I want most of what has already been listed, and would also add:

HOUSE OF MYSTERY (1960-British)
    THE MAN IN THE BACK SEAT (1960-British)
    PLANETS AGAINST US (1961-Italian)
    GOKE, BODY SNATCHER FROM HELL (1968-Japanese)
    TERROR BENEATH THE SEA (1966-Japanese)
    GHOST OF THE HUNCHBACK (1965-Japanese)
    THE LIVING SKELETON (1968-Japanese)
    HAND OF DEATH (1961)
    COLOSSUS: THE FORBIN PROJECT (1969)
    THE NIGHT WALKER (1964)
    DARK INTRUDER (1965)
    WILD IN THE STREETS (1968)
    LONG HAIR OF DEATH (1964-Italian)
    THE DAY MARS INVADED EARTH (1962)

--and probably more that haven't sprung to mind as yet. Kudos to Jay for including the *excellent* highly underrated/underseen UNEARTHLY STRANGER (1963-British) in his initial listing. A must-see film for anyone who likes the QUATERMASS films, the X-FILES, THE OUTER LIMITS, THE AVENGERS (Steed & Mrs. Peel, I mean, not the Marvel comic; several AVENGERS folk collaborated on UNEARTHLY STRANGER, and that quality shows), or simply anyone who appreciates talent spinning cinematic gold out of nearly nothing.

10. Larry Fletcher

Larry Fletcher Stunt Coordinator

What about Yongary monster from the deep. I actually think MGM has the rights to this.

11. Mehdy

Mehdy Stunt Coordinator

The power produced by george pal is my number one 1960 scfi
    movie...great score...great acting...come on MGM...

12. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

Glad to see that there are other lovers of these films. Some good suggestions mentioned such as Witchcraft, The Night Walker, Hand of Death, War of the Gargantuas, The Human Vapor, Curse of the Mummy's Tomb....

I didn't add any of the Japanese films to my list as I really want the original Japanese versions and I doubt we'll ever see these in region 1. Destroy All Monsters is probably the one I want to see on DVD the most, it's a nostalgic highlight of my cinematic life.

Peter, I'm glad to see that you're also a big fan ofUnearthly Stranger. I could have sworn that I saw a rumor more than a year ago that MGM was going to put this out on DVD. I'm so upset that it never materialized. Also, Colossus:The Forbin Project was released in 1970 which is why it's not on my list. It's a great film however.

I would also have added The Sorcerers to my list, a really creepy film by Michael Reeves, but I already own it on DVD from R2-UK. I recommend this film to those who have multi-region players.

I haven't bought One Million Years BC yet from the UK because I could have sworn that I saw a rumor that Fox will be releasing this here in region 1. I'm still hoping that Fox will be releasing a decent line-up of horror films this Halloween, I wish they were as committed to Horror & Film Noir as they are to the War film.

Oh, and I forgot another film which I would like to see on DVD, The Shuttered Room.

13. TonyDale

TonyDale Second Unit

THE SHUTTERED ROOM!!! Carol Lynley and Oliver Reed, right? From a H. P. Lovecraft story? This IS the one with Dame Flora Robson doing the Bette Davis/Joan Crawford/Tallulah Bankhead end of career horror thing, isn't it? This one scared me when it was shown on tv!
    Fortunately, we do have WHATEVER HAPPENED TO BABY JANE? and DIE, DIE MY DARLING is on its way, but what about HUSH, HUSH SWEET CHARLOTTE? Fox could do a whole docu on Joan Crawford's divine deud with Bette Davis on this one, since Joan left this film almost as soon as shooting started.

14. Peter M Fitzgerald

Peter M Fitzgerald Screenwriter

Peter Fitzgerald
    Jay,

Funny you should mention the old rumor that UNEARTHLY STRANGER might have been in the works from MGM. Perhaps this is hubris on my part, but THE DIGITAL BITS listed that info in their "Rumor Mill" section, due mainly, I believe, to the fact that I specifically asked MGM about it and INVASION (1966), since both were distributed to American theaters and TV by AIP, when HTF hosted a chat with them a few years ago. The MGM rep said they'd "look into it", and someone at the BITS somehow construed that as some kind of "scoop". Odd that MGM would still retain the U.S. rights to the excellent BURN WITCH BURN (1962, a.k.a. NIGHT OF THE EAGLE), but not UNEARTHLY STRANGER, even though both were produced by the same small company, Independent Artists, and imported by AIP.

I have no idea who owns the film (or INVASION) now, although it's easy to imagine that one or both could belong to either Carlton or Canal+, as they seem to have a lock on many U.K. films not immediately aligned (or co-produced) with the major Hollywood studios.

You're right about COLOSSUS:THE FORBIN PROJECT being a 1970 release, although it *is* technically a 1960s sci-fi film, in that it was made and set for release in 1969, but was then put on the shelf by Universal for a year or so, before finally distributing it to theaters.

YONGARY (1967-South Korea) would be fun on DVD. MGM looks to have the rights to it these days, but judging from the old print released to tape & LD via Orion, and a newer print shown recently on the Encore Action channel, they may only have the rights to a pan & scan TV print, so a potential DVD release may not be in its OAR of 2.35:1, through no fault of MGM. I could be wrong, but when AIP imported YONGARY, it was just for TV distribution (like the color Gamera films from the 1960s), rather than theatrical play.

Ideally, I'd love for Toho to allow an American company to put out quality, un-cut Japanese versions of the Godzilla films, THE H-MAN, WAR OF THE GARGANTUAS, THE MYSTERIANS, et al, with english subtitles on DVD; but barring that miracle, I'd still like to have the english-dubbed versions I grew up watching available on DVD, except in their proper OAR.

Hopefully, one day, when all their classics are readily available in Region 3, Toho will wake up and allow us Yanks access to the good stuff, subtitled and in widescreen (like Daiei does today --hooray for Daiei!). While code-free players are an obvious reality, one would still think that region-coding would remain enough of a brick wall to most average Japanese consumers that it would prevent them from buying cheaper import Toho kaiju DVDs from America, when DVD editions of the same film are available in both R1 and R3. But then, I'm not clinically insane, thus not Toho upper-management material. [​IMG]

15. Derek M Germano

Derek M Germano Second Unit

Since we are rummaging around in the vault of 60's sci-fi- how about THE TIME TRAVELERS (I'm always looking to pad out my John Hoyt film library). [​IMG]

16. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

17. AlanBrom

AlanBrom Second Unit

I would purchase just about every title mentioned on this thread! Jay, DESTROY ALL MONSTERS is out on DVD from ADV, unless you mean the AIP version (with different dubbing) which we'll probably never see.

I'd also like to add Curtis Harrinton's QUEEN OF BLOOD, now owned by MGM, and the Paul Naschy werewolf film, EL MARCA DEL HOMBRE LOBO which was released here as FRANKENSTEIN'S BLOOY TERROR in the early 70's.

18. alan-g

alan-g Auditioning

I would love to have "Scream of Fear". I think Columbia hold the rights

Do you guys know these great ones

The man who could cheat death
    Chase a crooked shadow
    two faces of Dr Jekyll

19. AlanBrom

AlanBrom Second Unit

Scream of Fear, The Man Who Could Cheat Death, Two Faces of Dr. Jekyll--proof that so many Hammer films are not on DVD! I'd like to add an Italian horror classic, SLAUGHTER OF THE VAMPIRES, HORROR OF PARTY BEACH, THE CURSE OF THE LIVING CORPSE, and THE FLESH EATERS, all which I used to catch on TV late at night.

20. Mark_TS

Mark_TS Screenwriter

YES!
    CRACK IN THE WORLD
    ROBINSON CRUSOE ON MARS
    and maybe
    THE MONOLITH MONSTERS
    THE LAND UNKNOWN

I SUPPOSE AS A $9.99 DISC ($14.99 MSR)
    IRWIN ALLENS THE LOST WORLD(1960)
    would be OK.....

and yes im sure I also saw that ONE MILLION BC is coming-I thought it was going to be around August...

of course one can always dream that Alan Klein will get real and allow for a remastered EL TOPO out on DVD (I know a less than pristine, quasi legal version is out, FF in Japan)