What's new

1960’s Mustang owners? (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I was curious if any of you HTF members own Mustangs. I thought I’d just throw this out there in case any of you do.
I have a 1967 Mustang with the 200ci 6 cylinder and 3 speed. If you do own a 6 cylinder car, I was curious what you have done to the motor for more power.
FYI-My Dad bought this car new, I did a restoration, very little effort actually in 1986. The car has been a weekend pleasure car since then. Motor rebuilt at that time with minor cam added for low end punch, but stock intake resticts much performance tricks. Dual exhaust headers are sitting in the garage, but doubt it will help. Pertronix ignition installed and lower restriction exhaust installed with stock cast iron exhaust header still being used. Car is fun to drive and runs well, but still desire a little more power. Daily driver is a 2001 BMW 3 series, so I can get my speed kicks with that car.
Thanks, Nelson

JeffDemum

Stunt Coordinator
Well im affraid there isn't much you can do help with any power with that motor . I'm assuming this is a more of a show car than a just for fun car . If it isn't a show car then i would drop a 390 in it like the put in the 67 GTA Mustang that will give it a little kick i guarantee you . A guy in our mustang club has one and it will get up and go for being such a heavy car , it's a torque monster . I am on my 3rd mustang and im only 25 , no oldies yet . Im working on getting a GT 350 that needs a whole lot of TLC . My current mustang is a 99 GT i drag race it alot , i've some bolt-ons such as pullies , exhaust and other misc. stuff like that . I also have put 4.10 gears in mine which made a huge difference my best time so far is 13.28@102mph with a 1.78 60 ft time on drag radials . But if you want to checkout a mustang BB try www.corral.net and post in the forums i guarantee someone there will be able to help you out .

Ben Motley

Supporting Actor
Oof. I didn't even see that about the 200. Shoot, my Galaxie has a 390. Two barrel carb though.
frown.gif

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Jeff, Ben-
Thanks for your replies. I'll check out the corral site.
I have had two fast late model Mustangs before I went to the bimmer. I had a 1986 SVO Mustang which I really enjoyed and then I went to a 1994 Mustang Cobra which I also had a good time with. But they were kind of a waste cause I never really drove those cars very hard. I went with the BMW because it was time for me to get into a car that was a refined car and better suited for an older guy like me! It was my 40th birthday gift to me. It's a real blast to drive in the twisty mountain roads. It handles like crazy! I miss the Stangs a bit, but the 1967 Mustang is a really sentimental one for me. I'll keep that for long time!I learned to drive in it and my Dad bought it new, so I grew up in it.
I have considered actually swapping in new 5.0 or 4.6 and 5speed in it. But the purist side of me wants to keep it as built. And I like the idea of making a 6 cylinder car make as much power as a 8 cylinder car. It's been done by other car makers and the BMW I own certainly does it well with a 6 cylinder engine about the same size as the Mustang's! Actually, there's a Ford 6 cylinder engine built in the late 60's, early 70's with a head that accepts a more efficient intake and other carbs. But it would take some effort to get on imported to the US and then to rebuild it! I'll poke around the Corral site.
Any other thoughts that do not require any major surgury? Thanks.
Nelson

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I don't have any suggestions but I just wanted to mention that my first car, many years ago, was a '65 Mustang Coupe. It wasn't in the best of shape, but I really loved that car!
------------------
sgon.jpg

"Death's at the bottom of everything, Martins - leave death to the professionals!"
"Mind if use that line in my next western?"

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Not much to add here either but I had a '66 Mustang 2+2 Fastback with a 289 and the three speed auto.
I sure miss my 'Stang.
I also love the 3 series Bimmers. But I really want to get a 540i some day.
Parker

DonnyD

Screenwriter
I WAS the proud owner of a 67 Mustang, fastback with a 390, 750 dual line, factory headers, Borg-Warner 4 speed. It was told (back then) it was a limited release and became an option for order in 1968. What a horse and is still remembered in this small town....
This 'stang was never beat in the quarter mile. All muscle cars in the surrounding area tried many times. Until I had to bracket race a 1940 something with a 4 cylinder. He was almost to the finish when I took off.... beat me by a fender....
Anyway, back then I just didn't know what a gem I had, ended up abusing it and my driving record and had to sell it. If I ever get a retro-car, it will be one of these.
------------------

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Nice memories from all. I sure feel lucky that the car I got to drive in High School, my 1967 Mustang Coupe, is still sitting in my garage. While it's no tire burner, I sure still enjoy it and it's a good old friend!
Nelson

Brent Cantrell

Stunt Coordinator
I've got a 66 coupe, mildly worked 289 auto. Had it for 10 years this year. I'm gonna pull it down to the frame this winter, and redo the motor entirely. I've had it since 16! You might consider a 302 from one of the 80's/early 90's Thunderbirds, they fit nicely, and require little in the way of modification, and provide much clean power. Other than that, I wouldn't necessarily go with a big block unless I wanted to drag it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks