What's new

1950s: What Titles Did You Vote For? (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Noach Kowalski
Persianimmortal said:
To be honest, I felt the whole premise of allowing multiple votes for a person was flawed. What exactly is the point of letting someone vote every single day in a poll spanning over a month? So theoretically one person can cast up to 90 or so votes - 90 votes, but in reality, probably only one or two sales as a result. Where's the logic in that? I gave up voting after the first couple of weeks. If a handful of obsessive fans wanted to skew the vote, they could cast hundreds of votes for a single movie, and the result would be completely unrepresentative of what the majority of the audience wants to see. My message to Fox is that if you want to do your market research via shonky online polls, you get no sale from me.
Agreed. Great post.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I don't think the voting was market research as much as promotion although there was an element of research. I think allowing people to write in a title is where they are getting good info. Either way Home Theater Forum was happy to be a part of it, and I look forward to seeing all the winners out on Blu-ray later this year.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Persianimmortal said:
To be honest, I felt the whole premise of allowing multiple votes for a person was flawed. What exactly is the point of letting someone vote every single day in a poll spanning over a month? So theoretically one person can cast up to 90 or so votes - 90 votes, but in reality, probably only one or two sales as a result. Where's the logic in that? I gave up voting after the first couple of weeks. If a handful of obsessive fans wanted to skew the vote, they could cast hundreds of votes for a single movie, and the result would be completely unrepresentative of what the majority of the audience wants to see. My message to Fox is that if you want to do your market research via shonky online polls, you get no sale from me.
I didn't give up and voted just about every day. My picks except for NORTH TO ALASKA was in and stayed in the 3% to 6%. They were STEAMBOAT 'ROUND THE BEND, MOTHER WORE TIGHTS and THE INN OF THE SIX HAPPINESS. I still don't see the attraction to THE CALL OF THE WILD and really thought JESSE JAMES would be the winner and I could deal with that. I do wish there were more choices for the 30's group. I say count the votes as they are and if a vote is done again in the future find the loopholes.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Persianimmortal
To be honest, I felt the whole premise of allowing multiple votes for a person was flawed. What exactly is the point of letting someone vote every single day in a poll spanning over a month? So theoretically one person can cast up to 90 or so votes - 90 votes, but in reality, probably only one or two sales as a result. Where's the logic in that? I gave up voting after the first couple of weeks. If a handful of obsessive fans wanted to skew the vote, they could cast hundreds of votes for a single movie, and the result would be completely unrepresentative of what the majority of the audience wants to see.
My message to Fox is that if you want to do your market research via shonky online polls, you get no sale from me.
Hmmm, so if one of these films is one title you want to see on BD, you won't purchase it because you didn't like this Fox promotion? If so, then more power to you, but "don't cut off your nose to spite your face" is my motto.
Crawdaddy

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
Noach Kowalski said:
John Wayne fanboys took advantage of the corrupt voting system, beacuse, otherwise, i'm sure Two For the Road would have won. Shame on you guys.
Bitterness will not solve any problems here. I saw this voting heavily advertised on John Wayne Facebook pages and fan sites. Plus, The Duke has always had a huge appeal. And don't worry, I am certain Fox will release Two For the Road Soon.

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
Robert Crawford said:
Hmmm, so if one of these films is one title you want to see on BD, you won't purchase it because you didn't like this Fox promotion?  If so, then more power to you, but "don't cut off your nose to spite your face" is my motto. Crawdaddy
I agree! Not buying the releases would only discourage Fox from releasing classics on BD. I say we stop complaining and let Fox sort it out. Even though I'm not happy with all of the results, I am still going to be purchasing some of the winning titles. :)

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
Robert Crawford said:
Hmmm, so if one of these films is one title you want to see on BD, you won't purchase it because you didn't like this Fox promotion?  If so, then more power to you, but "don't cut off your nose to spite your face" is my motto.
Funny how we're always going on about sending studios a message with our buying habits, then the moment someone does want to do precisely that, people say it's silly. None of the titles that Fox placed in this promotion are "must haves" for me. I thought The Bravados would be good to have, but some of the films I really wanted, like The Man in the Gray Flannel Suit weren't even listed. Instead, what we really got were carefully selected titles Fox has already been planning to release at some point anyway, turned into a rather pointless and drawn out promotional exercise of dubious repute. For that, I'm perfectly happy to either forego buying the scraps they do throw us, or just wait until they're heavily discounted, so Fox gets as little in return for their efforts as possible. I'm not in a pleasant mood today, and frankly I'm not thrilled about this silly dog and pony show Fox put on for people who actually want catalog titles released.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by Lromero1396
Originally Posted by Noach Kowalski
John Wayne fanboys took advantage of the corrupt voting system, beacuse, otherwise, i'm sure Two For the Road would have won. Shame on you guys.
Bitterness will not solve any problems here. I saw this voting heavily advertised on John Wayne Facebook pages and fan sites. Plus, The Duke has always had a huge appeal. And don't worry, I am certain Fox will release Two For the Road Soon.
I expended most of my votes for the Duke.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Persianimmortal
Funny how we're always going on about sending studios a message with our buying habits, then the moment someone does want to do precisely that, people say it's silly.
None of the titles that Fox placed in this promotion are "must haves" for me. I thought The Bravados would be good to have, but some of the films I really wanted, like The Man in the Gray Flannel Suit weren't even listed. Instead, what we really got were carefully selected titles Fox has already been planning to release at some point anyway, turned into a rather pointless and drawn out promotional exercise of dubious repute.
For that, I'm perfectly happy to either forego buying the scraps they do throw us, or just wait until they're heavily discounted, so Fox gets as little in return for their efforts as possible. I'm not in a pleasant mood today, and frankly I'm not thrilled about this silly dog and pony show Fox put on for people who actually want catalog titles released.
What you do with your monies is your own business and I don't care whether you want to send a message to Fox. I just know that any studio can't please everybody. However, I'm looking forward to many of those titles so I guess I'm the lucky one here. Also, I'm upset with Fox regarding their MOD program and their lack of OAR releases which has affected my purchases of those products.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Robert Crawford said:
I just know that any studio can't please everybody.
Wait until they actually start announcing some of these titles. I'm sure there's many factors (beyond a poll) that figure into when a company releases a movie but the first time it varies even slightly from the results of the poll, there will be a handful of people saying "They're not even following the poll results, why did they even bother with it?! Fox are liars and they personally betrayed me!!!!!" Or if they do they follow the poll results and don't release a title that someone wants, it'll be "The poll was rigged! They shouldn't follow it anyway!!!!!!". Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
OliverK said:
I did not want to imply that Fox did skew the voting as there is no way for me to know and I think that this is not what happened. Somebody did something fishy though... What I dislike is that we have to vote for a title over here that people in Europe are getting without having to take part in any 1 1/2 month long polls.
Your second remark is an absolute understatement. It irritates me so badly the Europe always gets releases before we do!

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Robert Crawford said:
However, I'm looking forward to many of those titles so I guess I'm the lucky one here.
Yeah, same here. I already own most of these on DVD, so I'm not too particular which one of these end up winning, especially since the movies I was voting for had a pretty remote chance of winning.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
We will be making an announcement about the results on Tuesday. While its obvious that you can't please everyone, in this case most people will be pleased, I know I am . I would encourage people to take a wait and see attitude until then...

Timothy E

Reviewer
Real Name
Timothy Ewanyshyn
I have no inside information, but my guess would be that the top 2 or 3 from each decade could be confirmed as releases for later in 2013.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Lromero1396 said:
Your second remark is an absolute understatement. It irritates me so badly the Europe always gets releases before we do!
. . . . and your generalisation is a massive over-statement. It is not true that "Europe always gets releases before we do".

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Originally Posted by Adam Gregorich
We will be making an announcement about the results on Tuesday. While its obvious that you can't please everyone, in this case most people will be pleased, I know I am . I would encourage people to take a wait and see attitude until then...
Good enough for me! I'm officially excited again

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Adam Gregorich said:
We will be making an announcement about the results on Tuesday.  While its obvious that you can't please everyone, in this case most people will be pleased, I know I am ;) .  I would encourage people to take a wait and see attitude until then...
Fair enough, will wait until Tuesday then.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
With all the talk about Desk Set, I couldn't wait and so I watched the DVD this evening. Hadn't seen it in awhile, and had quite a few hearty laughs watching it again.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Adam Gregorich said:
I expended most of my votes for the Duke.
I voted for The Agony and the Ecstacy. I'll buy the Wayne titles, but I figured that those have such broad appeal that they will make it out anyway.

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
JoeDoakes said:
I voted for The Agony and the Ecstacy. I'll buy the Wayne titles, but I figured that those have such broad appeal that they will make it out anyway.
That's what I thought as well. The Wayne titles were sure to turn a profit, so why they were included in the voting is beyond me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks