What's new

1950s: What Titles Did You Vote For? (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by OliverK
You are certainly correct about this but why sell the American customer something as new that is already released in the UK, Germany or even Sweden? Why not release it here, too and also release something that is really new? Now it seems more like they are offering releases where they only have to press the button at the replication line and adjust the artwork a little as after all the work has already been done elsewhere.
A question neither you or I can answer because we're ignorant of their internal marketing data and their studio politics which plays a part in every catalog release.

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael Robert Lionel Evans
I recently had to upgrade my Blu Ray player as it was multi-regional, but an early model and I could not download and install 'firmware updates' to it. Certain dvds just wouldn't play. I am in Australia so I'm not sure how costs go in the USA, but for $60 (inc shipping), I bought a new, multi-regional player which handles everything and which I will be able to upgrade when necessary. I thought it was money well spent as I am a serious collector who has realized that to collect catalog titles from most studios, one needs to be able to purchase internationally. I'd be interested to know the percentage of Walmart/Target customers who purchase Blu Ray titles such as the ones we are voting on. I would guess that it would be a very small percentage in comparison to the ones who purchase titles such as the 'Twilight' series (ie. Robert Pattinson, not Twilight Time), the Transformers series, the X-Men movies, modern rom-coms such as Bridesmaids etc. If Fox wanted to base their catalog Blu Ray choices on the purchasing preferences of Wal Mart customers they wouldn't have set up a Voting Section at a Forum such as this one.

lionel59 said:
I recently had to upgrade my Blu Ray player as it was multi-regional, but an early model and I could not download and install 'firmware updates' to it. Certain dvds just wouldn't play. I am in Australia so I'm not sure how costs go in the USA, but for $60 (inc shipping), I bought a new, multi-regional player which handles everything and which I will be able to upgrade when necessary. I thought it was money well spent as I am a serious collector who has realized that to collect catalog titles from most studios, one needs to be able to purchase internationally. I'd be interested to know the percentage of Walmart/Target customers who purchase Blu Ray titles such as the ones we are voting on. I would guess that it would be a very small percentage in comparison to the ones who purchase titles such as the 'Twilight' series (ie. Robert Pattinson, not Twilight Time), the Transformers series, the X-Men movies, modern rom-coms such as Bridesmaids etc. If Fox wanted to base their catalog Blu Ray choices on the purchasing preferences of Wal Mart customers they wouldn't have set up a Voting Section at a Forum such as this one.
When the Wal-Mart near me had the new releases of The Big Trail and The Barbarian & The Geisha, they seemed to sell pretty well. Sure, they're not going to sell anywhere near the numbers of the titles you mentioned, that's a given. Fox may use the HTF vote to judge public opinion in general. They're not going to set up a vote at Wal-Mart :). However, millions of shoppers go there everyday and they have a lot better chance selling Blu-rays to U.S consumers there, in other stores, and on Amazon US than having people order them from overseas. Maybe in Australia it's diffrerent.

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
John Hermes said:
The people on this forum might be interested in getting a multi-region player (as I have), but the average person picking up a title at Wal-Mart or Best Buy is not going to get that type of player and then order titles from Europe. If Fox wants to sell a lot of discs they're much better off releasing region A or region-free titles in the U.S.
Agreed. Not all of us are in a monetary state where we can justify upgrading a perfectly functional Blu-ray Player

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Would everyone who wants to see more classic 3-D films please write in INFERNO in the 1950s submit title section.

t1g3r5fan

Reviewer
Real Name
Mychal Bowden
Looks like it's going to come down to either Carmen Jones or Desk Set being the winner for this decade. Between the two, I've been voting for the former.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
t1g3r5fan said:
Looks like it's going to come down to either Carmen Jones or Desk Set being the winner for this decade. Between the two, I've been voting for the former.
When I voted two minutes ago, they were equal! This is real neck and neck racing!

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Lromero1396 said:
Especially since Desk Set has already been released in Germany. Come on Fox, make an effort for Carmen Jones, you don't have to do much for Desk Set!

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Two days left to vote, so if you want Carmen Jones to win make sure you pull everyone together to vote for it these last two days!

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
I'm hoping that "Desk Set", one of the brightest, breeziest comedies of the decade, can hang in there. I watch the Christmas sequence every year around the holidays. It's my favorite Tracy-Hepburn comedy, probably because of the presence of Joan Blondell.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Originally Posted by Rob_Ray
I'm hoping that "Desk Set", one of the brightest, breeziest comedies of the decade, can hang in there. I watch the Christmas sequence every year around the holidays. It's my favorite Tracy-Hepburn comedy, probably because of the presence of Joan Blondell.
Me too! Hahah! For some reason, I have great love for movies that incidentally take place around the holidays without being "about" Christmas per se (THE THIN MAN, MAN WHO CAME TO DINNER, and Deanna Durbin's LADY ON A TRAIN for example) and this one is one of my favorites. When I was little, I always wanted to work at that office and GO to that Chritstmas party!
Love this movie

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
Will Krupp said:
When I was little, I always wanted to work at that office and GO to that Chritstmas party! So did I. And I wanted to work along side Beaver's teacher, Miss Landers (Sue Randall). I love the brain teaser games Tracy gives Hepburn and how she aces them. So many wonderful moments in this gem, their only CinemaScope film together.

Pat McFadden

Auditioning
Real Name
Pat McFadden
I hope they eventually release both since they are so close in our poll, but I must choose, so it's DESK SET for me - endlessly quotable and watchable, and everyone I've shown it to becomes a fan. I'm from NY and I've worked in offices most of my life, and this movie gets it right. I imagine myself as Bunny Watson, but since my socks never match, I guess I'm a combination of the two.:rolleyes:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Yes, that brain-teaser sequence on the roof of the office building is my favorite moment in the film. Tracy fires questions; Hepburn responds all the while trying to eat lunch through shivering teeth. Masterful writing and acting. "Tough question"? "Tough roast beef."

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Originally Posted by MattH.
Yes, that brain-teaser sequence on the roof of the office building is my favorite moment in the film. Tracy fires questions; Hepburn responds all the while trying to eat lunch through shivering teeth. Masterful writing and acting.
"Tough question"?
"Tough roast beef."
I ALWAYS think of that every time I see a roast beef sandwich! That IS also my favorite moment in the "show."
(paraphrasing)
What do you find odd or remarkable about the following sentence: 'Able Was I Ere I Saw Elba'?
Beyond the fact I find it highly doubtful that Napoleon ever said it?

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
"Unless you mean because it's spelled the same way backward and forward. Is that what you meant? What do they call it? A palindrome. I know another: "Madam, I'm Adam."" "I doubt HE ever said THAT!"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks