What's new

1950's Soviet Sci-Fi on DVD? (1 Viewer)

Anton Ruzic

Stunt Coordinator
I know this is a longshot, but what are the chances that Soviet science-fiction/propaganda films such as "Nebo Zovyot" ("The Heavens Call") and "Meshte Nastreshu" ("A Vision Come True") will be released on DVD on the near future? Repeated e-mails (in Russian) to RUSCICO over the past year have gone unanswered, and the extreme, uh, boutique nature of the films in question make them virtually unknown in the West. It is worth noting, however, that Roger Corman used their often dazzling visual effects sequences in ghastly hack-jobs such as "Battle Beyond the Sun", "Queen of Blood", and "Voyage to the Prehistoric Planet". Needless to say, I would much rather see the originals.

Anton

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
These movies sound interesting. Can you give us some more information such as plot, etc.? That aside, maybe Anchor Bay would be interested in them? Sounds like these films would make for great dvds with maybe Corman's involvement or perhaps a historian's commentary.

Anton Ruzic

Stunt Coordinator
Steve,

* "Nebo Zovyot" was released in 1959 to celebrate the success of Sputnik. The plot details a manned race to Mars between the brave Soviets and the greedy/stupid/cowardly/imperialistic/etc Americans. Naturally the incompetant Yanks end up in deep doo-doo en route to Mars, thus forcing the heroic Soviets to call off their landing in an attempt to rescue them.

* "Meshte Nastreshu" has aliens from the planet "Centaurus" detecting radio-signals that turn out to music transmitted from Earth. The Centaurs send a spacecraft to our fair world on a peaceful contact mission but end up landing on Mars by accident(!!).

* A third movie of interest, "Planeta Bur" ("Planet of Storms"), is already available on VHS from Sinister Cinema.

As for Roger Corman, I would not let him within a lightyear of these DVD's, considering what happened the last time he got hold of the film cans.

Anton

Jonathan Smiles

Auditioning
About a year ago their was a Russian Movie sampler DVD on the cover of Screen International.

It had Battleship Potempkin, and other classics as well as things like Torperdo Bomber (Colour movie with B/W stock footage) and the Black Lagoon rip off Aqua Man.

Did not see any space related clips but there where lots of movies with Russian titles in the title listing.

Can't find the disc right now but will post the contact details when I find.

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
I've bought a few RUSCICO films from this site: Link Removed
I'd give them a call and ask about those other films. They answer the phone in Russian but do speak English if you ask.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I am very interested in seeing "Nebo Zovyot" after what I heard it's about. Can you tell me where I can get this title?

Anton Ruzic

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the URL, Hendrik, but none of the above films are listed in the RBCMP3.Com DVD/VHS database.

Anton

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks