What's new

1950s INVISIBLE MAN series coming to R1 DVD (1 Viewer)

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Dark Sky Films, a new "cult film" subsidiary of MPI Home Video, is apparently putting out THE INVISIBLE MAN, Vol. 1, containing the first 13 episodes (out of 26 total) of the 1958 half-hour filmed British series (which used to be rerun several years ago on the Sci-Fi Channel, in the wee hours of Saturday morning, along with SCIENCE FICTION THEATRE and TALES OF TOMORROW), in the near future, though no specific date is listed yet. Looks like this is a legit, licensed release, rather than an Alpha-style public domain collection.

You'll have to scroll down a bit after clicking on the link, as this page also features several movie DVDs (TERROR BENEATH THE SEA (1966)! Hooray!) in the works from this outfit:

http://www.darkskyfilms.com/FutureTitles.asp

I think I'm going to like this company. :)

Who knows, maybe they could license Roald Dahl's WAY OUT from the David Susskind estate...

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
This is pleasant news. I enjoyed the series, catching those late-night reruns on "Sci-Fi Channel" several years back. I liked the espionage/cold-war angle to many of the episodes. Hope the prints are a bit better than the ones aired, which were occasionally murky. Although come to think of it, if the prints are sharper, the 'strings' accompanying the Invisible Man's actions will stand out more! Oh, well. I'll grab this release, regardless, if it comes to pass.

Tom.W

Second Unit
Glad to hear this. I have the PAL release from a company called Prime. It contains 18 episodes. It has chapter points but otherwise no frills. Video and audio quality is good, so I hope Dark Sky Films does at least as well with separate releases for the entire series.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
MPI is rapidly becoming one of my favorite independent studios. I really wasn't aware of them before the released the Rathbone/Bruce Holmes series awhile back. I've since bought some of their other product and been pleased. Their customer service is also top notch. I've sent several e-mails on various topics and always get a personalized reply within 1 or 2 business days. That kind of attention to detail is what breeds customer loyalty.

They seem to be getting into classic TV in a big way with this and the upcoming Henning and Doris Day boxes. I wonder what other goodies they've got coming....

Steve

JeffT.

Deceased Member
Ah! This (welcome) news is so very cool amidst all the Summer heat!

There are 26 half hour black-and-white episodes plus an unaired alternate version of the pilot episode titled "The Cross Road Gallows" in the single season canon of THE INVISIBLE MAN (CBS 1958-59, 1960) tv series.

Tim Turner (uncredited) provided the voice of Dr. Peter Brady and (a pre-Dr. Who) Deborah Watling was featured as his niece Sally.

Here is a list of all 26 (thrill-packed, suspense-charged) episodes:

01. Secret Experiment
02. Crisis in the Desert
03. Behind the Mask
04. The Locked Room
05. Picnic With Death
06. Play to Kill
07. Shadow on the Screen
08. The Mink Coat
09. Blind Justice
10. Jailbreak
11. Bank Raid
12. Odds Against Death
13. Strange Partners
14. Point of Destruction
15. Death Cell
16. The Vanishing Evidence
17. The Prize
18. Flight into Darkness
19. The Decoy
20. The Gun Runners
21. The White Rabbit
22. Man in Disguise
23. Man in Power
24. The Rocket
25. Shadow Bomb
26. The Big Plot

Thanks for sharing this (important) news with the discussion forum here which just may have gone unannounced anywhere else!

And yes there are episodes where the (black) strings can clearly be seen! But what the heck! We'll all look for the strings together in these (presumably) newly restored digital transfers...and love every great moment of this classic 1950s tv treasure just the same!

Interestingly this U.K.-produced tv series and THE INVISIBLE MAN RETURNS (1940) with Vincent Price were my first exposures to H.G. Wells' Invisible Man (as a boy) and so I always thought that he was supposed to be a good guy...that was until I saw Claude Rains in THE INVISIBLE MAN (1933)!

Bring on THE INVISIBLE MAN (1950s) tv series to DVD!

Jeff T.

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor
I also have the PAL release that contains 18 episodes but I'm betting this one is done in better quality so I'll probably pick this up as well.

JeffT.

Deceased Member

Amidst all the usual (ruckus) clamour for the undistinguished this is one DVD release that shouldn't pass unnoticed without some (worthy) mention but coming out this Tuesday, March 28th, 2006 the MPI edition of H.G. WELLS' THE INVISIBLE MAN (CBS 1958-59, 1960) 2-disc set consisting of the first 13 episodes will finally make it onto retail store shelves.

Be there of be square!

Jeff T.

R-T-C Tim

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim Young
Just thought I'd post here, that the series is coming out on a special edition DVD here in the UK this Monday, including all new audio commentaries for two episodes (from the actresses who played Brady's sister and niece) as well as the previously unseen pilot episode.

I've had a sneak preview at Season 1 - fully reviewed here.

JeffT.

Deceased Member
Thank you for taking the time to mention this (very) interesting news!

It's too bad something similar couldn't have been done here as well but I'm just (immensely) grateful to have finally secured this long sought-after 1950s SF tv classic in a quality DVD release.

Perhaps it could also be similarily done in a re-release (in Region 1) later on in time.

Jeff T.

R-T-C Tim

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim Young
I've finally gotten around to watching season two, and I was rather disappointed by most of the episodes, but it really picked up towards the end, especially the Brain Clemens scripted duo.

Invisible Man: Season 2 Review.

The set includes an audio commentary from Brian Clemens for "Shadow Bomb", that is interesting, but probably not enough to tempt an upgrade.

JeffT.

Deceased Member
I really enjoyed this particular DVD release (the Region 1 edition) myself and it has long been a sought after television rarity. It's really too bad this SF-premised cum espionage and foreign intrigue tv series didn't progress beyond a single season as I think that the (generally) well-executed and imaginative stories hold up very well indeed...but then the mass viewing audience (in any era) is generally never all that astute and appreciative of those interesting efforts that transcend the usual relentless flow of uninspired mediocrity.

It is television properties like this that make the most fascinating and exciting acquisitions.

Other (now forgotten) titles in a similar vein that some (perhaps independent) company should release in quality DVD collections are SCIENCE FICTION THEATRE, MEN INTO SPACE and ROALD DAHL'S WAY OUT!

Thank you for all the invaluable online information on Network's Region 2 release.

Jeff T.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharel
Recent bookmarks