What's new

1950's 3-D with Stereo Sound (1 Viewer)

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
For the World 3-D Film Expo in September, I'm compiling an accurate list of all the 3-D movies from the 1950's with interlocked stereo tracks. These would have all been three track magnetic full-coats, with the exception of the three Warnerphonic titles. Do you have additional titles to add to this list?

CONFIRMED STEREO
House of Wax - Warnerphonic 4-track,
The Stranger Wore a Gun,
Kiss Me Kate,
It Came from Outer Space,
The Charge at Feather River - Warnerphonic 4-track,
Fort Ti,
Inferno,
I the Jury,
Second Chance,
Miss Sadie Thompson,
Devil's Canyon,
Wings of the Hawk,
Those Redheads from Seattle,
The Command - Warnerphonic (3-D version was never released)

These titles are listed as stereo in some pre-release trade ads, as well as the studio-issued pressbooks. However, I can find no concrete evidence that any of them were actually released with stereo tracks. Have you?

The Maze,
Flight to Tangier,
Money from Home,
Cease Fire

Finally, these four Columbia titles list stereophonic sound in the pressbooks, but it's the same ad mat in every case, with the stereo sound/widescreen artwork. These are not even listed as stereo in the trade ads. I'm very skeptical that they really were available in that format.

Gun Fury,
The Nebraskan,
Jesse James vs. the Daltons,
Drums of Tahiti

I know that some other titles have been listed over the years as stereo in various articles and books (such as Hondo and Robot Monster,) but I can't confirm any of the information. I've researched this material from 1953/54 in original trade magazines, such as Boxoffice, Motion Picture Herald, Film Daily, Exhibitor, etc. I've also compiled play-dates from several major cities, including New York, Los Angeles and San Francisco. The sad news is that most of these original stereo tracks do not survive.

If you have any accurate information to add to this list, please let me know. I want the text for the show to be as complete as possible. Thank you very much!

Bob Furmanek
www.3dfilmfest.com

Joe_Pinney

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe Pinney
DAMN, I really wish I could be in L.A. in September! That looks like one of the most incredibly FUN film events to hit SoCal in YEARS!

Why does all the good stuff happen in one of the most expensive places to live?!? :angry:

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
I bought my 13 tickets and am spending 2 full days there.

It's a once in a life time chance and I'm taking it!!! :D

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
If anyone would know about Robot Monster, it would be Bill Warren, who frequently posts at Mobius (www.mhvf.net). I'd ask him about that one. He wrote a huge, huge invaluable tome on sci-fi movies of the 1950s, Keep Watching the Skies. Robot Monster gets extensive coverage in it, but I don't have the book at hand to check if he discusses the audio tracks there.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
There's a book titled 3-D Movies - A History and Filmography of Stereoscopic Cinema by R.M. Hayes published by McFarland. I don't have the book myself but I looked through it once and it seems to indicate which 3D films were in stereo. If only such a 3D event could be held in London!

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
So much has been written that's not accurate. ROBOT MONSTER was first exhibited in June, 1953 at the Hollywood Paramount. There is no mention whatsoever of stereophonic sound in the newspaper ads. I'm certain it would have been listed if it was in stereo, as all other films were at that time. It didn't get picked up for widespread distribution by Astor until November 1953. After that, I can't even find any 3-D playdates, let alone reference to stereo.

The only reference I could find was in one of the trades prior to the films June release. It mentioned they were planning the film for stereo, but I don't think that ever developed. (This film had a microscopic budget.) At some point, the film wound up on a list of stereo movies, and that information has been copied over and over again for years.

For this event, I wanted to compile an accurate list based on documented evidence and original research. If anybody can provide some proof, please let me know.

Douglas, the 3-D Movie book by Hayes, while a noble effort, is riddled with mistakes. He seems to base a lot of his "facts" on personal memory. I wouldn't utilize it as factual source material.

Bob

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
If a book of value were to be written on 3-D cinema, I would place my bets on Mr. Furmanek, and not on the Hayes opus.

RAH

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Thank you Robert, that's very kind of you. However, I learned an important lesson with my Abbott and Costello book. If you want it done properly, expect an incredible amount of work, perseverance and patience. And don't expect to be financially compensated for your efforts unless it becomes a best seller.

With the tremendous amount of inaccurate information concerning stereoscopic cinema (check out the recent Spy Kids press concerning the 1950's 3-D output) I would love the opportunity to set the record straight. However, I have this bad habit. I like to eat!

Bob

GregK

Screenwriter
Come on Bob. A decent meal is sooooo over rated these days. For that matter so is electricity and running water... :)

John*C

Stunt Coordinator
Their was a rash of them to come out and I enjoyed them all, expecially in the Big Theaters of yesteryear.

Paul Linfesty

Stunt Coordinator

Of course you're talking about the home video version, right? Because Jaws 3 was in 3-D theatrically, hence the title "Jaws 3-D." (I can't remember offhand if the movie had a Dolby Stereo soundtrack or not).

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
According to the IMDb, Jaws 3-D did have a Dolby Stereo track, and I distinctly remember the old VHS having a Stereo banner running diagonally in the lower right hand corner of the slipcase. I said this about the film in another forum, but it bears repeating: Jaws 3-D is what happens when you let the guy who designed the shark direct the movie.

SteveP

Second Unit
The current duel system 3-D print of KISS ME KATE is presented with stereophonic sound.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
JAWS 3-D was in stereo (the Dolby credit is on the one-sheet) and the video versions include the stereo surround track.

Needless to say, it was a 3-D movie as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks