What's new

1940s: What Titles Did You Vote For? (1 Viewer)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I'm wondering if it and some other Power films like Blood and Sand had already been chosen and thus needn't be voted on. I'm just guessing, but their absence seemed rather conspicuous when looking at some other films which were selected. On the other hand, the Power films that were part of the voting may have less problematic elements or there may be HD masters available already. Who knows?

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
MattH. said:
I'm wondering if it and some other Power films like Blood and Sand had already been chosen and thus needn't be voted on. I'm just guessing, but their absence seemed rather conspicuous when looking at some other films which were selected. On the other hand, the Power films that were part of the voting may have less problematic elements or there may be HD masters available already. Who knows?
Personally, I just hope that no moreof his films end up going to MOD ot Twilight Time. Blood and Sand, which is not up for voting, just ran on TCM and looked and sounded absolutely horrible. But The Black Swan, which is what I've been voting for lately, has been released on DVd and looks and sounds pretty good. Blood and Sand's OCN and all original dye-transfer Technicolor elements as far as I know have been lost or destroyed. So what we have is an Eastmancolor safety dupe created in the 1970s. Same story with almost all of Fox's Technicolor titles. Not sure about condition of elements for The Black Swan, Captain from Castille, etc. For the record, NO TITLE should be withheld from BD due to poor condition of the elements. If a title is abandoned for this reason, it may not recieve proper asset protection and may become lost forever in a worst-case scenario. Plus, it also would mean a lot of great films would be forgotten just because the elements weren't treated well, which is why this whole program is so important.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Just a heads up that we are in the final two weeks of voting. I was able to get a peek at some of the raw numbers (sorry I can't share) and in several decades the first and second place titles are less than 200 votes apart, so every vote counts at this stage. Make sure you vote daily for the film you want to win in each decade!

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
KellyVO said:
I had to go with Mother Wore Tights even if it's a long shot, it's my favorite Grable film and I always thought it deserved a DVD release.
Same here. Mother Wore Tights has been getting all my votes lately (Sorry My Gal Sal)

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Adam Gregorich said:
Just a heads up that we are in the final two weeks of voting. I was able to get a peek at some of the raw numbers (sorry I can't share) and in several decades the first and second place titles are less than 200 votes apart, so every vote counts at this stage. Make sure you vote daily for the film you want to win in each decade!
I'm sorry, but I disagree with this comment. If you plan to vote for something other than my choice, then forget to vote. :D

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
JoHud said:
Same here. Mother Wore Tights has been getting all my votes lately (Sorry My Gal Sal)
I've been voting consistently for Mother Wore Tights. It's not out even on DVD!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I voted for it a lot during the early weeks of voting (it's my favorite Grable picture), but after I saw it was going nowhere in the voting, I switched allegiance to favorite films that looked to have a better chance of getting a release.

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael Robert Lionel Evans
I thought the quality of BLOOD AND SAND in the Tyrone Power SD boxed -set was excellent. Maybe TCM are using an earlier , unrestored transfer.

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
lionel59 said:
I thought the quality of BLOOD AND SAND in the Tyrone Power SD boxed -set was excellent. Maybe TCM are using an earlier , unrestored transfer.
That must be it. Sadly, that's also been the case with a lot of films lately it seems.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Originally Posted by Lromero1396
That must be it. Sadly, that's also been the case with a lot of films lately it seems.
I caught a few minutes of their "HD" broadcast of SINGIN' IN THE RAIN over the weekend (in Boston via Comcast) and it looked DREADFUL! No excuse for that...

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I have (again) voted for Mother Wore Tights as it is one of the few Betty Grable films I haven't seen and it is not available on DVD. Presumably too few DVD sets were sold to make a second set viable. I am hoping that Fox will use the number of votes cast to determine the likely success of a Blu-ray release. I have again submitted Michael Shayne in the suggestion box as I am watching one of these films each day this week.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Originally Posted by Keith Cobby
I have (again) voted for Mother Wore Tights as it is one of the few Betty Grable films I haven't seen and it is not available on DVD. Presumably too few DVD sets were sold to make a second set viable.
I am hoping that Fox will use the number of votes cast to determine the likely success of a Blu-ray release.
I have again submitted Michael Shayne in the suggestion box as I am watching one of these films each day this week.
Okay, you've convinced me. I've given up on ever getting THAT NIGHT IN RIO above 3% so I'm going to switch over to Betty Grable. I DID manage to see MOTHER WORE TIGHTS on TV years ago but it's been awhile (and I've never disliked Grable in anything) but I really remember enjoying it.
I would love to see the last two Michael Shayne movies in some fasion. The last three (MAN WHO WOULDN'T DIE, JUST OFF BROADWAY and TIME TO KILL) are considered the best of the series and I have enjoyed all of those released so far.

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
Looks like The Ghost and Mrs. Muir will win this one hands down. I am quite pleased. :D

t1g3r5fan

Reviewer
Real Name
Mychal Bowden
With the victory for The Ghost and Mrs. Muir all but sewn up, I've been voting for The Black Swan and Captain from Castile, alternately.

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
t1g3r5fan said:
With the victory for The Ghost and Mrs. Muir all but sewn up, I've been voting for The Black Swan and Captain from Castile, alternately.
I have as well. Those are two titles that would be unacceptable for Fox to license to Twilight Time.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Black Swan is a great flick. I was pulling for Letter to Three wives, but it tied for 6th. I just want it out on Blu-ray regardless if Fox does it or gives it to Twilight Time.

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
Adam Gregorich said:
Black Swan is a great flick.  I was pulling for Letter to Three wives, but it tied for 6th.  I just want it out on Blu-ray regardless if Fox does it or gives it to Twilight Time.
Honestly, I think that TT would have a better sale with Kiss of Death than Letter to Three Wives. Plus, I'm not sure that any isolated music tracks have survived on ALTTW.

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
MattH. said:
I really don't think they could go wrong with any of the top vote getters.
I feel that TT should focus more on forgotten films than well- recognized classics. The whole deal with Leave Her to Heaven IMO is inexcusible since that title would have sold well as part of the Studio Classics series. Same thing with The Song of Bernadette. I prefer seeing TT put out stuff like The Rains of Ranchipur, Swamp Water, The Roots of Heaven, etc. Their original purpose was to release forgotten CinemaScope films from the '50s, but they've deviated from that A LOT.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
I've heard from a reliable source that those forgotten CinemaScope films from the '50s tanked big time. You won't see many more titiles like "The Rains of Ranchipur." I don't care who releases them, but I want Leave Her to Heaven and The Song of Bernadette. If it takes a Twilight Time to bring them out, then go it!. At least we'll get isolated music tracks and I hope that "Bernadette" will come with the original Overture that was found on the soundtrack release.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks