What's new

1940s: What Titles Did You Vote For? (1 Viewer)

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I voted for Call Of The Wild for the thirties film, The Ghost and Mrs Muir for the forties, The Tall Men for the fifties and How To Steal A Million from the sixties, i can't vote for Jesse James, its a good film but i remember it as the film which featured some very bad horse cruelty and brought about more involvement from the American Humane Association into feature film production, sure Call Of The Wild probably features real fur and i'm not into that either but as far as i am aware it doesn't have cruel stunts in it. I also love Inn Of The Sixth Happiness, Ingrid Bergman is superb in this and the music score is outstanding.
I would like to see The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes which i believe is a 1939 20th Century Fox release, from the forties i'd also like to see Belle Starr, Jane Eyre, Laura, Dragonwyck and My Darling Clementine, i'm a big Gene Tierney fan and also Jane Eyre has fantastic cinematography and atmosphere, note lots of female names in the titles i'd like to see from the forties.
In the fifties i'd also like The Gunfighter, great Gregory Peck film, The Desert Fox, Anne Of The Indies, ( i think that one was the inspiration for Cutthroat island which i love ) Niagara, the original Invaders From Mars, The Desert Rats, ( James Mason again playing Rommel ) Broken Lance, Heaven Knows Mr Allison, The Enemy Below.
Of course all the 50's musicals such as The King and I, Carousel and Oklahoma!
From the sixties i would also like a re-release of The Longest Day ( minus DNR ) and maybe another release of The Sound Of Music, this time with high frequencies intact, The Quiller Memorandum, a re-release of The Sand Pebbles since i think its out of print now, The Boston Strangler, 100 Rifles, just for Raquel Welch taking a shower under that train thingie, no really its a good western.
From the seventies i'd like The Mephisto Waltz, Emperor of the North Pole, The Seven-Ups, Dirty Mary Crazy Larry, The Duchess and the Dirtwater Fox, Silver Streak, The Driver, All That Jazz although i think that's maybe Columbia, unsure as its a co-production.
From the eighties i'd like to see Brubaker, Fort Apache: The Bronx, i love this film, Paul Newman in great form, I, The Jury, The Verdict, The Star Chamber, The Osterman Weekend, Silkwood, The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai, think that's now MGM so highly unlikely, Black Widow, Working Girl, The Fly II.
From the nineties i'll take Pacific Heights, a directors cut of Nightbreed, ( please include theatrical too ) Class Action, Toys, ( i loved it, everyone else didn't ) A Life Less Ordinary, Pushing Tin.
From 2000 onwards i'd like The Beach, a re-release of Wrong Turn this time with a good transfer, the release of the unrated cut of Die Hard 4.
A final request, please burn all original negatives of Meet The Spartans, Date Movie, Epic Movie, Disaster Movie and Vampires Suck and jail Jason Friedberg and Aaron Seltzer for crimes to humanity.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes is available on Blu-ray in the MPI Holmes set. Of course, Laura is coming the first week of February.

Greg_D_R

Stunt Coordinator
I have to admit, the only two movies in this whole lot, in all years, that even inspire a flicker of interest in me are the Tyrone Power swashbucklers.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by MattH.
The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes is available on Blu-ray in the MPI Holmes set. Of course, Laura is coming the first week of February.
Looking forward to Laura! Today I voted for the Black Swan

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I voted for That Night in Rio. I suggested Sleepers West because it is my favourite of the Michael Shayne films, and was restored for the DVD box set. I like films set on trains and it also stars two other favourites of mine, Mary Beth Hughes and Lynn Bari. We are still waiting for the other two LLoyd Nolan films in the series and I hope other posters give Fox a nudge.

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
I voted forA Letter to Three Wives. I can't believe that it's getting so neglected inthe voting. Heck, it's even being bested by The Blue Bird which can't even hold a candle to one of Joe Mankewicz' greatest. Letter to Three wives also needs a lot of work done to its audio since the DVD was plagued by buzzing, fluttering, and excessive crackles and pops. Plus, Letter to Three wives was nominated for 3 Oscars including Best Picture and it won Best Director and Best Writing, Screenplay For Mankewicz. How does The Blue Bird stack up against that?

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Lromero1396 said:
I voted forA Letter to Three Wives. I can't believe that it's getting so neglected inthe voting. Heck, it's even being bested by The Blue Bird which can't even hold a candle to one of Joe Mankewicz' greatest. Letter to Three wives also needs a lot of work done to its audio since the DVD was plagued by buzzing, fluttering, and excessive crackles and pops. Plus, Letter to Three wives was nominated for 3 Oscars including Best Picture and it won Best Director and Best Writing, Screenplay For Mankewicz. How does The Blue Bird stack up against that?
A film with an Oscar and famous-director pedigree is more likely to be revived without anybody's help (TCM Oscar fests, for ex.) Blue Bird, in addition to being one of the better (if not perfect) versions of the almost never-told story on film, tends to be overlooked for being Fox's last major star vehicle for now-tween Shirley, and put at the bottom of their franchise list. Aside from it being a paean to 1940 pre-war isolationism (and you thought Oz's "No place like home" was an unsubtle hint... :rolleyes: ), it's rare Technicolor, and the very definition of an "undiscovered gem". (Although I'm biased: I remember coming home from school on the day of Christmas vacation, discovering a local station playing their vintage family films that I'd never heard of, and as a children's author, I've tried to do a proper retelling ever since. Shirley's version isn't bad, but cuts out one entire act and literally half the characters.) But, that's academic, as they're BOTH likely to be scuttled by that blasted Captain Gregg. :f (Which should also make the Mankewicz fans happy.) Right now, we're fighting over third place and a possible '14 second-string spot. My Rex Harrison urges would have had me write in votes for "Unfaithfully Yours", but think Criterion's still got the lock on that.

PatW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Patricia
Ghost and Mrs. Muir. One of my all time favourites from that period along with the Uninvited.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by Lromero1396
I keep trying to prop it up. It keeps getting my vote....not that its doing any good...

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Another vote for a Letter to Three Wives. I actually need to watch it again, will try to pop in the DVD this week between Drudge and Homeland Season 1...

KellyVO

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kelly
I had to go with Mother Wore Tights even if it's a long shot, it's my favorite Grable film and I always thought it deserved a DVD release. So how long does voting go on for and when do we learn the winners?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by KellyVO
I had to go with Mother Wore Tights even if it's a long shot, it's my favorite Grable film and I always thought it deserved a DVD release.
So how long does voting go on for and when do we learn the winners?
I voted for it a bunch during the first week of voting, but when I saw how poorly it was doing, I switched to other choices. It's my favorite Grable film, too.

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
I'm surprised that nobody has been discussing Keys of the Kingdom starring Gregory Peck. It's Peck's first great film and definitely deserves a BD from Fox just as much as Gentleman's Agreement.

warnerbro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Darrell
I agree on LEAVE HER TO HEAVEN. What a dynamite film! And, of course, GENE TIERNEY IN COLOR! And I love JESSE JAMES. A beautiful early Technicolor and an awesome film.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Originally Posted by warnerbro
I agree on LEAVE HER TO HEAVEN. What a dynamite film! And, of course, GENE TIERNEY IN COLOR! And I love JESSE JAMES. A beautiful early Technicolor and an awesome film.
Don't waste a write-in vote on for LEAVE HER TO HEAVEN, though. It's already coming from Twlight Time in May (and I couldn't be happier!)

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Last night I watched the 1946 version of The Razor's Edge in the HD version available free at Amazon Prime. PQ seemed mostly fairly good, although it's a challenge to tell with streaming. But the movie itself, slow and melodramatic and contrived though it may be, still impressed me. I saw it once before decades ago, and I liked it just as much now as I did then. What an unusual film for Hollywood to make at that time. I'm surprised this one isn't part of the poll. It won an Oscar for Anne Baxter, and was nominated for Best Picture, Best Art Direction, and Best supporting Actor for Clifton Webb's Uncle Elliott. Tyron Power and Gene Tierney are quite good in this adaptation of the W. Somerset Maugham bestseller. The film was a big hit at the time of release.
49384f1b_edge.jpeg
5ee2bdc3_edge2.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks