What's new

1930s: What Titles Did You Vote For? (2 Viewers)

revgen

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dan
I submitted write-In votes for Cavalcade (1933) Goldie (1931) Looking For Trouble (1934) Dante's Inferno (1935) Broadway Bad (1933) Me and My Gal (1932) Call Me Savage (1932) Hoop-La (1933) Hot Pepper (1933) The Bowery (1933) Berkley Square (1933) Arizona to Broadway (1933) Delicious (1931) A Passport to Hell (1932) Zoo in Budapest (1933) After Tomorrow (1932) Young America (1932) Yellow Ticket, The (1931) Common Clay (1930) Girls Demand Excitement (1931) East Lynne (1931) Disorderly Conduct (1932) Blood Money (1933) Born to be Bad (1934) Moulin Rouge (1934)

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
PODER said:
Yet another write-in vote for CAVALCADE!! I truly do NOT understand why this lone Best Picture Oscar Winner has been all but kicked off the rear of a moving train. Having a character or two go down on the Titanic is pretty much a cliche these days (yes you, DOWNTON ABBEY), but when this first came out the audience would gasp when the two characters parted to reveal the Titanic life-saver hanging on the railing.
Ditto everything you've said, PODER. Cavalcade long overdue for BD. Fox's lack of speed on this issue is inexcusable.:f

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Keep putting in your write-ins every day. Its the best way for Fox to gauge interest in the titles you want to see in the future. I went back to Little Princess today.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
and to add to Adams statement remember that Mr. Finn has his own thread on here, post a question and you might get surprised, (Ahem) Laura along with a few others along the way. Cavalcade seems to be my one write in choice, because ther is no way to trim it down to just one of the Chans, i want them all including the MGM/Fox (Monagram films)

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
PODER said:
Yet another write-in vote for CAVALCADE!! I truly do NOT understand why this lone Best Picture Oscar Winner has been all but kicked off the rear of a moving train. Having a character or two go down on the Titanic is pretty much a cliche these days (yes you, DOWNTON ABBEY), but when this first came out the audience would gasp when the two characters parted to reveal the Titanic life-saver hanging on the railing.
We all need to rally in support of Cavalcade to get it released!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
The Little Princess is such a beautiful production. It's obvious that Fox wanted this to be Shirley's paramount production for them since they used expensive Technicolor, staged a lavish dream sequence featuring her, etc.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
MattH. said:
The Little Princess is such a beautiful production. It's obvious that Fox wanted this to be Shirley's paramount production for them since they used expensive Technicolor, staged a lavish dream sequence featuring her, etc.
The Little Princess is wonderful. I am glad that Fox decided that its public domain status would not prevent them from giving it a proper release. Other than Swanee River, I would definitely want any of the titles in the voting. I do hope that Fox will do something about Poor Little Rich Girl. I wonder if there are rights complications with that one.

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
JoeDoakes said:
The Little Princess is wonderful. I am glad that Fox decided that its public domain status would not prevent them from giving it a proper release. Other than Swanee River, I would definitely want any of the titles in the voting. I do hope that Fox will do something about Poor Little Rich Girl. I wonder if there are rights complications with that one.
I say do a boxed set of all the Temple titles. That way the fans can just get them in one fell swoop.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by Lromero1396
I say do a boxed set of all the Temple titles. That way the fans can just get them in one fell swoop.
Judging by the DVDs, some of them are in really sad shape and aren't Blu-ray ready. I, too, would love to see Poor Little Rich Girl, the only one of Shirley's films from her superstar era not on DVD, handled properly for fans.

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
MattH. said:
Judging by the DVDs, some of them are in really sad shape and aren't Blu-ray ready. I, too, would love to see Poor Little Rich Girl, the only one of Shirley's films from her superstar era not on DVD, handled properly for fans.
Aren't Blu-ready yet. No film should be kept from BD simply due to poor elements. Plus, with today's tech and a little TLC they could still look great.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
I WANT STORMY WEATHER! It's probably the greatest musical ever made, with the best performers. How can you do better than Fats Waller and Cab Calloway?

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
I'd love for all of these to beg blu-ray treatment, especially Swanee River since the DVD is quite bad.
MattH. said:
I've only ever seen Poor Little Rich Girl colorized. Who colorized it? Because I've been under the impression the movie is or was public domain at one point. I'd love to wee a B&W transfer of this.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
JoHud said:
I'd love for all of these to beg blu-ray treatment, especially Swanee River since the DVD is quite bad. I've only ever seen Poor Little Rich Girl colorized. Who colorized it? Because I've been under the impression the movie is or was public domain at one point. I'd love to wee a B&W transfer of this.
Only Little Princess is PD, as far as I know--But Fox had Legend(?) colorize the B/W VHS releases the first time around, to boost the mainstream family sales. Princess and Blue Bird were Technicolor to begin with, but Princess, like most poor little neglected PD's, could badly use the studio restoration.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by JoHud
I'd love for all of these to beg blu-ray treatment, especially Swanee River since the DVD is quite bad.
I've only ever seen Poor Little Rich Girl colorized. Who colorized it? Because I've been under the impression the movie is or was public domain at one point. I'd love to wee a B&W transfer of this.
I think Fox colorized all of Shirley's B&W films to sell them on DVD offering both color and B&W versions on the same disc. And if you want to see something truly ugly, watch the last sequence of The Little Colonel. It was filmed in real Technicolor, but Fox took the real Technicolor out of the scene and then colorized it themselves. Everyone is wearing heavier Technicolor-approved makeup, and by laying on fake color on top of that, everyone looks truly hideous.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
MattH. said:
I think Fox colorized all of Shirley's B&W films to sell them on DVD offering both color and B&W versions on the same disc. And if you want to see something truly ugly, watch the last sequence of The Little Colonel. It was filmed in real Technicolor, but Fox took the real Technicolor out of the scene and then colorized it themselves. Everyone is wearing heavier Technicolor-approved makeup, and by laying on fake color on top of that, everyone looks truly hideous.
Fox released all of Shirley's films on VHS, but Poor Little Rich Girl and Our Little Girl have never been released on DVD. The lack of Poor Little Rich Girl on anything but VHS is particularly vexing as it is one of her best films, has some of her best musical numbers (Oh My Goodness, You Gotta Eat Your Spinich, Baby, But Definitely), and features great support from Alice Faye, Jack Haley, and Gloria Stuart). I think Leonard Maltin gives it 3 1/2 stars.

PatW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Patricia
I voted for Call of the Wild. I forgot though how much I enjoyed The Little Princess when I was young. My vote will probably change tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks