What's new

1930s: What Titles Did You Vote For? (1 Viewer)

kingofthejungle

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Heath
Voted for Jesse James yesterday. I think I might vote Steamboat Round The Bend today. I really want both of them on BD.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
The only problem with Jesse James is that it's a Technicolor film. Back in the 1970s Fox put all of their original 3-strip Technicolor negatives in the trash. They made copies first, but these copies have inferior pq compared to films (like Wizard of Oz, GWTW, etc.) where the original negatives exist. In other words, they can make a blu-ray out of it, but the pq is only going to be at best good enough no matter what they do....

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by benbess
The only problem with Jesse James is that it's a Technicolor film. Back in the 1970s Fox put all of their original 3-strip Technicolor negatives in the trash. They made copies first, but these copies have inferior pq compared to films (like Wizard of Oz, GWTW, etc.) where the original negatives exist. In other words, they can make a blu-ray out of it, but the pq is only going at best good enough no matter what they do....
With today's technology advances they can still make the blu-ray PQ quite good without the original negatives.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Ejanss said:
Well, as long as it's not Judge Priest, where Rogers plays against Stepin Fetchit (and all that that implies), or A Connecticut Yankee, which should have been all-time made-to-order, but was so 30's-Hollywood off-book in places, it was....just plain weird :confused: I'd like to see Rogers' film career, but don't know which good ones to start with.
Stepin Fetchit (Lincoln Perry) comes off pretty well in Judge Priest. There''s a great scene where Judge Priest is watching his nephew court a pretty but poor girl next door. Perry's character keeps trying to tell him that a goat has gotten into his mint julep bed, but Priest is completely oblivious. Will Rogers thought a lot of Perry's ability and named a track of land for him giving the reason that Perry's talent helped him buy it. Perry is also in Steamboat Round the Bend, but his character is more subdued.

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
Today's 30s Write-In Candidate: CAVALCADE (the only Best Picture Oscar Winner never released as a stand-alone DVD or Blu-Ray) Tomorrow's 30s Write-In Candidate: Noel Coward's THE SCOUNDREL (Best Original Screenplay Oscar Winner) In my dreams, of course, there'd be a Double Noel Coward set with BOTH the above. Ah well, I can only hope ...

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
Disappointed that Cavalcade, Leave Her to Heaven, and John Ford seem to have gotten the shaft.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Originally Posted by David Weicker
not a lot of 30's choices. Went with Shirley (Little Princess).
You can type in a movie name in the box below the titles to tell them to add a movie title. I did this for Cavalcade.

revgen

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dan
None. All of the titles listed aren't ones that I'd spend my money on. I'm primarily interested in pre-code film. A prime example would be Goldie (1931) with Jean Harlow and Spencer Tracy. Other examples would be Hoop-La (1933) and Call Her Savage (1932) with Clara Bow. EDIT Saw the "write in" vote. Voted for Goldie (1931).

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
I WANTED to finally give in and do a write-in vote, but I went back through IMDB and couldn't find a 40's-60's title I knew that wasn't already on disk or on voting. Still, I'm determined to get some write-ins into the 30's category: I'll start with the Basil Rathbone "Hound of the Baskervilles", then onto "Charlie Chan at the Circus". :)

jonmayo15

Auditioning
Real Name
Jon
Ejanss said:
I WANTED to finally give in and do a write-in vote, but I went back through IMDB and couldn't find a 40's-60's title I knew that wasn't already on disk or on voting. Still, I'm determined to get some write-ins into the 30's category: I'll start with the Basil Rathbone "Hound of the Baskervilles", then onto "Charlie Chan at the Circus". :)
The Basil Rathbone "The Hound Of The Baskervilles" is already on Blu-ray from MPI along with the 13 other films from the series in a great set, although the A/V quality of the two Fox films is slightly below most of the restored Universal titles. I don't think Fox owns the rights to that title anymore. http://www.amazon.com/Sherlock-Holmes-Complete-Collection-Blu-ray/dp/B004GSVXDA/ref=sr_1_20?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1358452695&sr=1-20&keywords=sherlock+holmes

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
I put in a write-in vote for Les Misérables (1935). Nominated for Best Picture Fredric March and Charles Laughton are both wonderful and all of this makes it a real winner. In addition, the recent film adaptation has spurred interest in the story. The only problem I can potentially see is the elements, which would require significant restoration. But, most Fox films of Les Mis' vintage probably need just as much attention.

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
Just realized that THE SCOUNDREL isn't a FOX film, so I went with CAVALCADE again. It's the only Oscar winner for Best Picture that I don't have on DVD or Blu-Ray. PLEASE!!!!

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Ejanss said:
Fox doesn't own the Holmes films any more. You're better off sticking with Charlie.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by Ejanss
I WANTED to finally give in and do a write-in vote, but I went back through IMDB and couldn't find a 40's-60's title I knew that wasn't already on disk or on voting.
Still, I'm determined to get some write-ins into the 30's category: I'll start with the Basil Rathbone "Hound of the Baskervilles", then onto "Charlie Chan at the Circus".
But Rathbone's The Hound of the Baskervilles is already out on Blu-ray. But any Charlie Chan films would certainly be welcome.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
MattH. said:
But Rathbone's The Hound of the Baskervilles is already out on Blu-ray.
Darn, assumed that MPI box was all wartime-PD.
But any Charlie Chan films would certainly be welcome.
Well, GOTTA go with "Circus", where we see the whole family.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Originally Posted by Ejanss
I WANTED to finally give in and do a write-in vote, but I went back through IMDB and couldn't find a 40's-60's title I knew that wasn't already on disk or on voting.
Still, I'm determined to get some write-ins into the 30's category: I'll start with the Basil Rathbone "Hound of the Baskervilles", then onto "Charlie Chan at the Circus".
D'oh!!! Don't waste a vote on Hound of the Baskervilles because it's already on the MPI Sherlock Holmes set, but WOW how great would a Charlie Chan set be!! Today I did a write-in for THE RAINS CAME but also cast another standard vote for JESSE JAMES
Edit: oops! I just realized I missed the entire second page of this thread when I replied. Sorry about that!

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Lromero1396 said:
I put in a write-in vote for Les Misérables (1935). Nominated for Best Picture Fredric March and Charles Laughton are both wonderful and all of this makes it a real winner. In addition, the recent film adaptation has spurred interest in the story. The only problem I can potentially see is the elements, which would require significant restoration. But, most Fox films of Les Mis' vintage probably need just as much attention.
Recorded from TCM the other day but wouldn't mind a nice bluray.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I don't know how many votes have been cast but it seems that Jessie James has a lead that will be tough to overcome.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks