192kHz/24-bit Capability on a DVD Player

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Arnel, Nov 7, 2001.

1. Arnel

Arnel Agent

I just bought a Pioneer DVD Player Model DV-533K which has a 192kHz/24-bit Audio D/A Converter for Highest Sound Performance audio feature. I am aware that this rate was being implemented on DVD-Audio on MLP. The player, which might be the same with Model DV-444, can pass the 96kHz/24bit digitally and I’ve tested it with my Chesky records. My question is what is this 192kHz/24-bit capability of this player? I am not aware that there is such available record encoded at 192kHz/24-bit in PCM. Does it mean that It can play and decode a DVD-Audio in analog form but I thought DVD-Audio is in MLP? Please help.
    Below are some links, for your reference:
    http://www.pioneer.com.sg/products/v_index.htm
    http://www.pioneer.com.sg/products/p...ad_DV_533K.htm
    The Pioneer DVD Player DV-533K is designed to be the ultimate choice for perfect Home Entertainment. The DV-533K offers, at its best, a wider range of sampling frequency at 192kHz and a 24-bit audio D/A converter, providing exceptional audio performance. This presents users the absolute enjoyment of immaculate theatre-quality sound with every visual treat the DV-533K offers. Another new feature is the MP3 playback that this beauty boasts.
    http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/Pi...9,2295,00.html

2. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

I noticed the same thing on some other Toshiba players also. I think you could play DVD-A type music but only in stereo mode at that bit rate,since it does not perform or have the capabilities of multichannel playback with 5.1 analog outputs.....this is just a guess, I'm very interested in this also...

3. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

DVD-Audio is in PCM but compressed using MLP. Some DVD-Audio discs will have 192/24 audio stereo tracks on them. I'm not sure if any are available yet. You need DVD-Audio capability to decompress the MLP, then the resulting PCM tracks are sent to your DACs. If you play a DAD disc, it bypasses the decompression stage and sends it straight to the DAC.

4. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

There are a handful of DVD-A discs with 24bit/192K encoding, I have one of them from Audionet in Germany -- they were kind enough to send me a demo [​IMG]
    If your player doesn't explicitly state it can play back DVD-A discs (it'll have a Digital Audio/Video logo on it somewhere) it can't.
    The use of 24bit/192K DACs is by necessity, as the DAC manufacturers are moving new production up to these higher sampling frequencies, to accomodate DVD-A. The acknowledgement that it has DACs capable of operating at this sampling rate, with no way to actually playback this samplin rate is the marketing dept being in a game of specsmanship.
    Having heard 24bit/192K on my system, it's an awfully good level of reproduction.
    Regards,
    ------------------
    John Kotches
    Contributing Writer
    Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

5. Arnel

Arnel Agent

6. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

In a non-DVD-Audio player, the 24/192 spec. has no meaning with regards to high-resolution audio (i.e., DVD-Audio). The significance of having the 24/192 DAC lies in knowing that your player is utilizing the most recent DAC technology, which may offer some benefit in the playback of CDs relative to comparably priced older DVD players that use 24/96 or even older DACs.
    The only format offering 24/192 PCM is DVD-Audio, and as was said here, playback of such discs requires an MLP decoder, which the Pioneer DV-533K does not possess. As a result, the '533K will only be able to play the Dolby Digital and DTS tracks on DVD-Audio discs. These tracks are inferior sonically to DVD-Audio tracks.
    In short, the 24/192 DAC in the '533K is not going to allow the playback of DVD-Audio or SACD. It will allow you to play 24/96 stereo DADs at full resolution via the analog outputs, however.
    ------------------
    My:
    HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
    KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime
    [Edited last by KeithH on November 07, 2001 at 07:29 PM]