What's new

192 khz DAC vs. 96 khz DAC? (1 Viewer)

Frank_S

Supporting Actor
One of the things that upsampling does (and oversampling doesn't) is "extend" the word length to 24 bits by adding eight bits of random dither, aka noise. One might argue that this fuzzes up the sound, compromising clarity.
It sounds like upsampling is trying to copy what many have said about tube gear, adding noise/distortion.
Fortunately I have'nt bought into either upsampling or oversampling, digital does'nt really do it for me in any form, although I do enjoy some of my concert DVD's. I'm quite happy listening to good old vinyl and tubes. :)
BTW, I'm not trying to start a vinyl vs. digital war, vinyl is just my personal preference, peace! :)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Frank, I agree with you in the sense that upsampling is used to try to remove the hardness or edge that is often observed with CDs (16/44.1 PCM). I try not to get caught up in the whole debate about distortion in vinyl, tubes, or upsampling. The sound is most important to me. :)

Ferran Mazzanti

Stunt Coordinator
Hi guys,

this is gettting tough... specially because of technicalities. Put it simple: do you think a good

listener can discern any improvemente in 192/24 compared to 96/24? For me that's the only think that really matters...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks