Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Todd Erwin submitted a new blog post

1917 UHD Review
1917-feat-1024x341.jpg

Continue reading the Original Blog Post.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Slight clarification. 1917 was released on December 25, 2019

It went wide on January 10, 2020.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Todd Said
The two Lance Corporals encounter British planes many times during their journey, so it seems rather odd the Erinmore couldn’t just drop the message from a plane.

Gotta disagree there Todd. The message had to be personally delivered, in front of witnesses, directly to the General. Dropping a note from a plane wouldn’t be logical imo.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
1917.jpg

1917 (2019) (US import) arrived this morning
Dolby AtmosPlusIIIx 26 channels / 156 JBL speakers / Lucasfilm Ltd THX Sound System, 21kw

Overhead surround is used sparingly chapter 5, 20:12 I have the Dolby AtmosPlusIIIx tuned through rehearsal listening to other channels otherwise most Atmos home cinemas I would bet would have a some audio masking difficulties and certain sounds may go unheard/unnoticed.

Bass and LFE.1 is deep and reverberate to create a tense feeling of walking around the ruins of houses and muddy waters.

Cinematography looks good clear and nicely camera focused with some nice camera crane shots and steadicam.

Update on the Dolby Atmos. Don't expect a lot of usage on the Heights 1 2 and 3 the biplane scene at chapter 5, 20:12 is about as much as you would hear. A few little derbies on Height 1 during the last battle scene that only lasts for few seconds. How did this win best sound?? No use of serious 100% directional dialogue panning. I think academy ampas members must be all hard of hearing when it comes to nomination voting.

KeithDA

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Keith
Just got this disc in a sale and watched it last night.

I saw the film in the theatre and was a bit distracted by the 'one take' idea, but this time, knowing what was going happen helped me relax into it. What really stood out for me though was the score - it's a master class in support, tension and sheer emotion. Richard Madden's impressive 'first take' tearful scene was good, but what brought the tears to my eyes was the ending against the tree. The music and emotional journey here just got to me and kept me seated and listening as a theme that Vaughn Williams could have written played through the credits.

I know the film won for sound editing, but missing out for the score was a shame....

Last edited:

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
The brief special feature on the score, as explained by Sam Mendes and Thomas Newman....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks