1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

1917 (2019)

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Reggie W, Aug 1, 2019.

1. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    Sure, when diagnosing an illness or looking for motive for a crime but in this instance it sort of shows a lack of critical thinking.

2. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    So, what you are saying is Saving Private Ryan and 1917 are basically just different takes on Where Eagles Dare because that film is about a group of soldiers going to rescue General Carnaby...is that what you mean to say?

3. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Lead Actor

I did it less as the movie progressed. It's pretty obvious - "hey, let's shoot behind this tree for a split-second!" :D

TravisR likes this.
  4. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Lead Actor

Never saw that film so I can't say.

Some of us think "1917" echoes "SPR" - live with it!

5. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    Ha, well I don't live with that because I find it absurd, particularly when Saving Private Ryan could be said to be "borrowing an idea" from a bunch of films made before it...so for you guys that want to just claim that 1917 is using a bit from SPR are you now saying that only because you have not seen films like Where Eagles Dare or say 1983's Uncommon Valor?

You don't get that this is a fairly ridiculous way to evaluate pictures?

It's basically like saying every band that plays a riff on a guitar is just doing a version of Led Zeppelin...

6. Jason_V

Jason_V Lead Actor

Jason
    So...you're saying the "simplest explanation is correct" idea for things with life and death consequences like diagnosing and illness or solving a crime works...but not for something recreational like a movie?

7. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Let me intercede here as some of us need to stop criticizing somebody else's thought process regarding movie evaluations. Just stop the personal comments! If you don't like another person's film evaluation or analogy then state your disagreement and move on. A person shouldn't have to defend their film opinion from condescension which I've witnessed in the last couple of pages. Enough already!

8. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    Well, no actually. I am saying when evaluating a film or story the parts to understand why it is doing what it is doing are all there, intentionally, presented to you. So, what you are doing in the case of comparing the two films is not finding the "simplest explanation" because nothing is explained by identifying two elements and then saying "Look, the same!"

For example, if we looked at a cat and a dog and you identified that each had 4 legs and a tail, hence they are the same animal, then someone else points out all you did was identify two elements and in fact there are many differences this would not be applying Occam's razor.

Here's exactly what I am saying, a film is a creation so somebody put all those parts together to assemble it just so. So, there is intent to tell a story and tell it in a specific way. If you watch 1917 and Ryan it is quite apparent that the pictures are not at all alike. Other than they are stories where soldiers are given an assignment to complete during a war...which was something that happened all the time during a war. It would seem because we have soldiers on a mission some people feel that means the films are telling a version of the same story...it makes no sense. Particularly when the stories are built around different ideas.

The missions are not the same, in one film they are going to retrieve a fellow soldier because all his brothers were killed and so it is basically a PR mission. In the other film two soldiers are assigned as runners to deliver a message to a colonel that's about to lead his soldiers into an ambush...how is this the same? The two soldiers in 1917 are not sent to retrieve anybody, not asked to save one man, not on a mission to bring anybody back with them alive at all. Their task is to survive themselves and deliver a vital message to the colonel.

The reason I made a point of this was not, despite what Robert says above, to insult anybody nor to call anybody names...I was frankly just surprised that somebody that has seen the two films would say they are somehow telling a similar tale.

So, I am not criticizing anybody's thought process I am basically asking how can we look at the same things and come up with an entirely different set of facts? I am fine if people don't like the picture or if they want to criticize it. That's all fair game but the two films do not use the same device nor purpose for the missions that basically set each story in motion. To say they do is a simple falsehood.

Mr. Spielberg, the director of Ryan, does not think the pictures are similar but this is specifically because he is evaluating them for everything that make them up not just saying "well the word brother is in both films and in both films soldiers go on a mission so, this picture is just a version of my picture."

All I would say is evaluate a film for what it is, not what it is not and not to pull random elements out to then make a comparison.

Tino likes this.
  9. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Lead Actor
    Supporter

I begvto differ that the mission given in SPR was a "PR" mission. Nowhere in that film was there any evidence that it was being done for public relations. There is no reporting of the mission to the Public by any means of media. In fact, the Public have zero idea that the mission even exists.

It is a rescue mission pure and simple. The squad assigned may think the mission is asinine but the mission itself is to rescue one man not gain publicity or the public's favour.

1917 is, at it's core, also a rescue mission. In 1917, two men are dispatched to save the many by delivering a message. One man's motivation is mainly to save his brother. The other man's motive is because he is ordered to. In SPR, every man is the second man in 1017. In SPR, the mission is to rescue one man and in 1917 the many.

However, no matter how the ham is cut the crux of the matter is that both films are about a rescue mission being performed by people who don't really want to be there. It stands to reason that the two films will be compared due to a core similarity: a rescue mission being performed by the reluctant.

Colin Jacobson likes this.
  10. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    I agree. As is the case with thousands of other films. Similarities to other films is the basis of practically every film ever made. Some more than others. In the case of 1917, those similarities are imo minor. And does not diminish the tremendous power of the film.

MartinP. likes this.
  11. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
  12. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Lead Actor
    Supporter

I was going to go see it yesterday night. A friend of mine came into town last night and said he wanted to see it, so we will be going to it tonight,

TravisR and Tino like this.
  13. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    People look at the same pieces of art all the time and come away with different interpretations of said art. It's not facts that drives those interpretations, it's the subjectivity as to how a movie is received by each and every one of us. We observe things differently even if we're looking at the same thing like a movie for instance. It's the reason why police gather more forensic evidence than just eyewitness accounts as you can have ten such witnesses and still get different accounts of the same crime. Our brains simply process information/movies differently. Anyhow, that's all I have to say on this matter except to say let's remember that written communication is a two way street. Even more so than interpersonal communication because we can't see each other's faces nor hear the tone of each of our voices. We only have written words which can be interpreted differently than what we intended them to be. I'm done.:)

Tino and Reggie W like this.
  14. Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic Edge of Glory?

Wayne
    If you really want to argue about a film with a similar premise, go watch Gallipoli. It takes place in 1916 during WWI and is about two men ultimately tasked with delivering a crucial message through the trenches and across enemy lines. A fantastic film by Australian director Peter Weir, and starring a very young Mel Gibson.

15. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    Well, I hope you guys enjoy it and have a good time. I'll hold off making any further comment on this until you have seen it. I really enjoyed it but I mean I am a big fan of war movies and so, I would have to allow for that bias to be there in how I felt about it.

I do think if people have seen Gallipoli they would make that comparison. My guess would be a lot of people here have not seen it.

Tino likes this.
  16. ptb2017fr

ptb2017fr Stunt Coordinator

Paul Bale
    1917. In a word Masterpiece.
    More words. Technically brilliant, totally immersive, emotionally involving, deeply moving. Superb performance from George Mackay.
    Unforgettable.
    Going again tomorrow.

Tino, MartinP. and Reggie W like this.
  17. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Lead Actor
    Supporter

Well, I ended up seeing it alone as my friend said he would not be able to make it.

I think the most impressive thing in it was the score. There was a twist that I didn't see coming though. I felt like the biggest thing I got out of it was that
    trying to be a humanitarian in a war gets you killed.

I found it weird how the film felt like it switched gears and started to feel like something right out of "Apocalypse Now" with the

Starshell scene
    . From that point on the whole thing started to feel surreal whereas everything up to that point was pretty straight forward. The scene with the

French woman and the baby felt tacked on.
    . it just slowed the story down and did nothing to move the story forward. It reminded me of the dinner scene in "Fury" with the women.

I think it is a good film but i certainly think it has been overhyped as a cinematic masterpiece. I felt more emotional involvement with the characters in SPR than in 1917 which kind of makes 1917 a bit of a failure, since it was supposedly meant to be more of a character study than SPR was.

GlennF and Colin Jacobson like this.
  18. moviepas

moviepas Supporting Actor

Australia a good few years ago did a color TV mini called 1915. The two women in the Sydney scenes as the girlfriends are still working in the industry.

19. Message #199 of 260 Jan 19, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
    Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    I loved that scene in this film and how it tied in with the
    Milk scene from the farm.

20. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    Meant by whom? I don’t think 1917 was ever envisioned as a character study, and certainly not more than SPR.