Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Title: 1917

Tagline: Time is the enemy

Genre: War, Drama, History

Director: Sam Mendes

Cast: George MacKay, Dean-Charles Chapman, Mark Strong, Richard Madden, Andrew Scott, Benedict Cumberbatch, Colin Firth, Daniel Mays, Adrian Scarborough, Chris Walley, Nabhaan Rizwan, Jamie Parker, Tommy French

Release: 2019-12-25

Plot: 1917 takes place during World War I. The full plot is unknown at this time.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Plot: 1917 takes place during World War I. The full plot is unknown at this time.

Well from the trailer it seems the film is about two soldiers, one of whom is trying to save his brother, on a mission to stop an attack to avoid a massacre.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Sounds a bit like Saving Private Ryan in WW I.
I'll watch it anyway.
A bit perhaps.

SPR was about a mission to save one man. This is about a mission to save 1,600.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Looks terrific. Definitely a Dunkirk vibe which is a good thing. We need more films about the “forgotten war”.

I really like Sam Mendes and am happy to see him helm another interesting picture. I agree it will be good to see a film about the first world war. Looks like a solid cast and this will be one to go to the theater to see.

On the info in the opening post here, I think that Movie Database site where that info is pulled from lags behind a bit in information and also as info is updated there, it does not automatically update through the link we use to post here.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I had to sign a lengthy NDA before seeing 1917 so I don’t know how much I can say.

I think I can say I was stunned by it. It’s a technical and emotional masterpiece and my favorite film of the year so far. I can’t imagine any film replacing it.

Amazingly, regarding its technical brilliance, and I’ll put this in spoilers just in case.

The entire film is ONE take!

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
It stinks that I have to wait three months to discuss this tremendous film with you guys!:emoji_angry:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
This was my screening last night.

Beware. Spoilers.

https://www.worldofreel.com/blog/2019/9/1917

This part is funny. It was I who led the applause mentioned below. In fact, a Universal rep came up to me afterwards and thanked me for it. ;)

‘1917' Secretly Screens to Enthusiastic Reactions

Regardless, “1917” was test-screened tonight to positive reaction. In fact, an instantaneous, multiple minute applause greeted the end of the film at Wednesday night’s screening.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
@Tino: I hope you can answer this without breaking your NDA. If you think you can't, then don't, and that's fine.

How frequent are there sudden loud noises (lie, say, bomb explosions or out-of-nowhere gunshots or something else that could be considered a jump scare?) I know it's a war movie so I expect some of that but hope it's not so extreme that I can't handle the movie. I want to see it because Sam Mendes, but as we've discussed in other threads, I have a startle reflex and do really badly with movies that have tons and tons of jump scares. A few I can usually shrug off, but if it's a lot I tend to stay away, and that does affect war films sometimes too, although not as much as with horror, but still.

For reference, I made it through American Sniper and Dunkirk by plugging my ears at multiple points throughout, but was unable to finish The Hurt Locker and had to leave it.

Thanks.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks