190 pound sub: what if it needs repair?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Arthur S, Jan 20, 2004.

1. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

There are a lot of new, great subs around. Some of the best of these weigh 190 pounds. Does anyone know what they would do if the sub needed to be repaired? These monsters are delivered by truck. I know that well designed subs rarely need repair, but it was only a few years ago that JBL released several models in which the digital amp went bad.

I can't imagine trying to take a 190 pounder anywhere to get it fixed. Anyone care to comment?

Thanks

Artie

2. Robb Roy

Robb Roy Supporting Actor

Artie,

I can only think of 5 things that could go bad with a sub:

1. The enclosure.
    2. The amp.
    3. The internal wiring.
    4. The driver(s).
    5. The power cord.

Getting any of these things fixed depends on the sub. If it's the enclosure, it's either going to come damaged or it's not. As to the other items, it depends on how user serviceable the sub is. If you're looking at an SVS sub, for instance, you can replace the drivers, amp, internal wiring, and power cord yourself easily enough (you probably have enough stamps in your desk drawer right now to ship back a faulty power cord).

-Robb

3. JohnnyN

JohnnyN Stunt Coordinator

yeah and your back will probably need repair trying to move it. but ditto robb's post.

4. Robert Cowan

Robert Cowan Supporting Actor

mine weighs in at around 120 pounds. its a PAIN to move, but its possible.

but quite frankly, any sub that weighs that much will probably have in home service.

5. Mike Wilk

Mike Wilk Stunt Coordinator

You get the same friends who help you move your 300lb Sony 40" XBR TV.

6. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

JBL Pro tells people to pull the faulty part and ship that. I know SVS doesn't mind people pulling a driver.

However, a damaged cabinet is the hard one.

7. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

Usually with a product like that, and especially an expensive product companies just ask you to ship back the part instead of the whole thing.

8. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Thanks to all for your comments. Any other comments are welcome.

I would prefer not to "open the box". Some companies actually tell you that the warranty will be voided if you go inside the box.

Also, I am not a handyman. Unless all the connections inside are of the pull-off, push-on type I would not want to try disconnecting the amp, or mess with any of the other wiring.

The direction this is taking me is towards the HSU 1220 and perhaps their 500 watt amp. The 1220s weigh only 32 pounds, and the amp only 36 pounds. The dual 1220 package with 2 1220s and the 500 watt amp is $1700 delivered.

This system will best most of what is out there with output of 107 db at 12.5 HZ. The amp is also custom tuned such that output of the amp and sub is only 3 db down at 15 HZ.

Of course there are many fine subs out there, with SVS a clear and robust competitor.

Thanks

Artie

9. Robb Roy

Robb Roy Supporting Actor

Artie,

I would be surprised, with most subs, if you needed anything more technical than a screwdriver. Also, I would hope any decent manufacturer would not void the warranty because you needed to pull a bad part. Of course, it's a somewhat moot point -- subwoofers rarely need repair, except when driven waaay too hard, and that would be hard to do with any sub in the neighborhood of 200 pounds!

-Robb

10. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

If something were to go wrong, just find a handyman-type friend to come over and assist you with taking out the defective part. If a company directs you to remove the part, it will not void the warranty - especially if they directed you to perform the task.