What's new

180gsm vinyl worth the extra? (1 Viewer)

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
I noticed on Saturday that a couple of my favorite albums (mainly Portishead's Dummy, but one or two others as well) have had nice 180gsm reissues, and the new Bjork is available like that as well. Does anyone have any opinions on if its worth buying things again for it? I've already got CDs, and in one or two cases the original vinyl releases, so I'm in two minds. If anyone can either encourage me or reassure me that I can rest easy without them that would be great.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Unless you have a turntable worth $$$$ (sorry keyboard don't have the UKP sign, I would say it was a waste.
I recently bought a 'gold' MFL reissue of the Jam's All Mod Con's /Sound Affects on CD.
On the sound affects album and CD, which I both own; there was some really annoying shrill horn parts.
On the gold cd , they finally sounded like a real horn....that's when I was finally convinced they were worth the extra bucks.
I believe on 'All Mod Cons', I have the Japanese release, which always weighed more than US/UK releases. I'd take the CD over it any day of the week.
The one limitation vinyl has, which I have never get around is bass feedback into the source.
With audio systems increasing in quality and Subwoofers reproducing bass down to 20Hz, it is impossible to isolate a turntable which uses analog vibrations to play a recording at any type of semi-loud levels....
But that's just me...
good luck
Grant
------------------
Why?
Why do you keep hounding me and harassing me and hounding me?
It's not like I don't have anything better to do, you know.
It's not like the Phantom Cruiser is going to wax itself.
It's not like last night's burrito stain will just up and remove itself from my cape.
I am a superhero!
A very very busy superhero! Who does...things!
Now get out of here before I tell your mother.
AND DON'T TRAMPLE MY BEGONIAS!
-Space Ghost..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks