1803 sonotube

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike.D.K, Dec 7, 2001.

1. Mike.D.K

Mike.D.K Stunt Coordinator

Hi guys, This is my first post so I'll try to keep it short. I am building a sonotube sub using the 1803. I am using 24' sontube 48' tall. 8'sonotube 36' long for the port. Three endcaps each end 3/4 inch MDF. I want the most I can get from the sub, do I need to make it bigger or will this do? I will be feeding it with 1000 watts. Thanks for your help. Mike

2. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

Hi Mike. 1803, huh? Cool.
    I'd guess about 320 liters to be available in that tube once you account for endplugs, driver, and port. You could tune that to 18Hz with an 8"W,30"L port. Looks like it would be good for 116db @ 18Hz with your 1000 watts, anechoic. Sounds like fun. [​IMG]
    If it's possible to go bigger, I like 400 liters tuned to 18Hz, for a true EBS alignment. Realistically, though, it's only about 2db more efficient at tuning...no big deal when you'd probably be above reference levels in-room anyway with your design. I like the three endcaps, this driver will likely need them. What is your desired tuning?

3. Mike.D.K

Mike.D.K Stunt Coordinator

18hz tuning will be fine, by the way I will have two of these. I just don't want to short change the 1803 and wish I had used a bigger enclosure. I have already cut my sonotube to 48' but would be willing to buy more if you guys thought it would be better. If the difference would only be minimal then I'll keep what I have. MIKE

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Just go build it, and when your eyesight clears up from all that rumbling, come back and tell us how it was... [​IMG]

5. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

It sounds great the way it is, Mike, any anechoic rolloff may well be flattened by room gain, or you could use a little eq (with that much excursion and power, the sky (or permanent deafness) is the limit. Keep an eye on your port lengths as you finalize, as the driver intrudes pretty far into the enclosure, and you do want some clearance between the motor and the port end.
    Two of them? Might want to keep a supply of diapers, as well as earplugs, handy. [​IMG]

6. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer