1803 Question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Richard A, Oct 28, 2002.

1. Richard A

Richard A Auditioning

I was just wondering if someone who has the 1803 can tell me if there is an on-screnn display, and if not, how hard it is to set up. The remote looks much more promising than the 2802.

Thanks
    Richard

2. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

I'm pretty sure there's no OSD, but i could be wrong. If there is, i haven't found it yet.

Setting the 1803 up w/ the remote and display panel isn't very difficult, but actually using the remote for normal operation of all your components is not at all user friendly. Why they would use slider switches for component selecting, use 2 sliders in conjunction w/ each other differentiating between audio and video is beyond me. Also, there isn't even a slider position to control the receiver it's self... you have to have the first slider set to Audio and the second slider set to CD. This really makes no sense to me, and the Denon remote control engineers should be shot. I'm sorry if you're a denon remote engineer and you read/post on this board, but it's true)

Other than the remote, i love the 1803. It's built like a tank, sounds great, and has all the features i was looking for. the 80Hz crossover is something you don't find in most lower end receivers.

Hope this helps.

3. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Actually, that depends on the receiver. I believe Yamaha has a crossover point of 90 Hz. The Denon 1802 has a default crossover point @ 80 Hz. The 1803 actually has 3 crossover points - 80/100/120 Hz. Having these additional settings opens up the use of many more satellite speakers because you could pick some that roll-off higher.

Unfortunately, the 1803 doesn't include a method for on-screen display. However, setting the receiver up with your remote control in one hand and the manual in the other isn't so bad. Once you get the receiver set-up, 90% of the settings you'll probably never touch.

4. Richard A

Richard A Auditioning

Thanks for your help....

I've worked with other receivers that have not had OSD before and it's never been that difficult. I jsut figured with all the video switching capabilities in the receiver, that it would have had it.... Oh well... that definitely will not sway my decision. :)

Richard

5. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Richard,
    The Denon site has a .PDF manual that you can download for the 1803. It's actually quite full of good information regarding the 1803. If you're going to purchase the 1803, you might want to get the manual in advance and briefly read through it. When your 1803 arrives, you'll be ready to tackle the setup process with ease. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Jeff Ery

Jeff Ery Stunt Coordinator

Actually, I don't expect too much out of a remote in this price range, in fact if the remote is too good it's ussually at the expense of something else. I do think the sliders may take some getting used to for many though. The lack of on-screen also does not surprise me at $400 for the same reason. What I do find annoying is that a unit that seems to be targeting sattelite speaker applications (looking at the higher crossover settings) seems to have difficulty driving better sattelites, make sure you pair these little amps with an efficiant speaker package.