1800PetMeds

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Thi Them, Apr 10, 2003.

1. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

Has anyone purchased from this website? I'd like to get Frontline or Advantage (which one is better?) for my dog's fleas.

~T

2. JayV

JayV Supporting Actor

No, but I've been wondering about them.

Do you have a PetSmart near you? Mine has a vet come by to fill prescriptions. They say its cheaper than other sources, but I haven't tried them either.

-j

3. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    Advantage is certified as "good stuff" by none other than the one and only Fluffy Pumpkin. [​IMG]

4. Carl Miller

Carl Miller Screenwriter

I used Petmeds last year one time to purchase Frontline. The order was wrong and a couple of days late in arriving. They were good about making it right, but I ended up finding a place in New Jersey called Wedgewood Pharmacy which I've been using for about a year to fill my dogs precriptions. Excellent service at about 40% of the cost of the same meds from my vet.

5. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

Both Advantage and Frontline Plus work well; neither should require a prescription as the FDA has classified them as pesticides rather than pharmaceuticals. The parent companies (Bayer & Merial) have use warranties that say they are only valid if purchased through your veterinarian; who's to say.

Too bad none of you live near here; I take great joy in checking the PetMed website and undercutting their prices, as I hate their[rant]smarmy commercials[/rant] .
    There, I said it and I feel better. [​IMG] "It's the same products as I get from my vet, only cheaper ".
    God, make me puke.

I feel like yelling at the screen: "Next time your dog gets hit by a car, call PetMed, you stupid cow, not me!!" But I don't because, it's not good to raise my blood pressure like that. Besides, these are actors, who probably can't put 3 words together unless someone has written them down for them.

Anyway, before blindly buying from PetMed, I recommend checking your vets' prices, they probably aren't as high as you think.

J. Reville, DVM

6. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

I used Petmeds last year, and will again this year, for heartworm/flea control meds. I had no problem with the order and found the price significantly cheaper than my vet (I think it was something like 30% lower).

I don't understand the remark about calling Petmeds for an injured dog; they don't portray themselves as anything other than what they are: an online veterinary pharmacy that can offer substantial savings on marked-up pet medicine.

Oh wait, I see a DVM after your name, Julian. Now I understand. [​IMG]

Jon

7. Luis S

Luis S Supporting Actor

I just had an order arrive from them yesterday. No problems at all and fast delivery too. In my case the savings were enough to justify going through them. Id recomend them if your local vets prices are to high. But please do check around for Julian's sake! [​IMG]

Luis S

8. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

Yeah, I meant my previous post to be somewhat humerus (sic)(vet joke), but there was a grain of truth in it. There are details about PetMed that I do not want to post on an open forum, as I have no desire to be sued. However, a Google search on the topic may turn up something concerning Pharmacy Boards and violations.

Nevertheless, as long as they play by the rules, they are entitled to do business, smarmy commercials and all.

Now a word about supporting your local vet hospital: historically (the last 50 years or so), sales of medicines, flea/tick products, etc, have subsidized the other things that animal hospitals do, like treat injured animals (hit-by-cars), including many that have no known owners (strays brought in by Good Samaritans, where the hospital eats the entire cost).

A stupid way to do business, totally violating every known management practice, I agree, and some of us are trying a more modern approach, such as being competitive on shopped items (such as Advantage, etc)., and charging a more realistic (i.e. higher) price for medical/surgical stuff. So don't be too surprised if Fluffy's ovariohysterectomy (spay) is quoted at several hundred dollars in the near future, because that is actually what it should cost, if done properly. Similar fees for hospitaliztion for parvoviral enteritis, fixation of broken legs, all that good doctor stuff.

99.9999% of all animal hospitals receive no funding other than what they generate (no guvment funds, no inshawrence) so if it don't pay, don't expect it to stay. [​IMG]

9. Lee L

Lee L Supporting Actor

Julian, if only more vets would think this way. Mine charges double what 1800PetMeds does for Frontline and a few bucks more for my heartworm pills. I take my 2 Basenjis to Day camp one day every 2 weeks and occaisionally kennel them when we go out and the kennel will only take your dog if you get your medicine from a vet so I'm screwed. They claim that the meds might be counterfeit if not bought from a vet but that seems pretty lame to me. It is worth it as the dogs sleep for hours after they get back from camp and they are definitely familiar with the place when we do have to leave them for a few days.

10. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

Point taken, Julian.

Jon

11. LDfan

LDfan Supporting Actor

Thi,

My wife and I use Omaha Vaccine Company for all our pet medicines. They are awesome! Great prices and service. Never had a problem with them.

Both Advantage and Frontline are great products. We use Frontline Plus on our dogs since it controls Fleas and various life cycle stages and Ticks.
    Advantage only kills adult fleas so if you go with Advantage you may want to use a heartworm pill that also kills fleas in the younger stages such as Sentinel or Program.

http://www.omahavaccine.com/

Jeff

12. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

Omaha Vaccine has great prices. I think I'll buy Frontline Plus from them. Should I get a 3-pack or 6-pack for my dog?

~T

13. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

hehe.
    ask your vet.

sorry, couldn't resist. [​IMG]

14. LDfan

LDfan Supporting Actor

Thi,

It's kinda up to you how much you want to spend at the moment. Depending on where you live I would treat your dog year-round with the Frontline Plus.
    Fleas can be a major pain once they infect your house so it's best to not let them hang out on your dog in the first place.
    Good Luck

Jeff

15. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

One more thing: I weighed my dog at 23 lbs, and Front Plus has it for 11-22 lbs and 23-44 lbs. Since my scale may not be accurate (I tried to weigh my scale with a known weight and adjusted it accordingly), should I get the one for dogs 11-22 lbs just to be safe or will it not matter much?

~T

16. LDfan

LDfan Supporting Actor

Thi,

Our vet always told us if our dogs were right on the borderline to go up to the higher dosage. That way you'll be sure to get proper protection.

Jeff

17. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

Omaha Vaccine delivered my order in 5 days and saved me some money. [​IMG] Thanks Jeff.

I just finished applying Frontline to my dog inbetween the shoulder blades. It said to apply it in one spot on the skin, but I had some spillage out onto the hair. Should I have waited for some to completely soak into the skin before applying more? I hope I got enough so that it's effective.

~T