What's new

$1800 Budget ** Pictures/Dimensions** included, need ur help for a Proj. System (1 Viewer)

JimmyJK

Agent
Hey Gurus

help a TOTAL newbie and computer geek out please, thx :)

I want to get my father a great birthday/christmas present and I think I need to get started ASAP.

I need a projection system, and a screen solution as well. I leave it up toyou as to how to divide the small budget for projector/screen.

Here are the dimensions of the room
Height 9 ft
width 18 ft
Length 40 ft

I can usually make it VERY dark even during the brightest time of day, dunno if thats important or not but I see others mentioning that.

I need to get a screen and projector. My DVD player has component out so something that can utilize that would be def. a BIG plus. And simple HDDB 15 computer hookup would be an interesting bonus for me :)

My basement is a MESS! dont pass judgement on me yet :)

JimmyJK

Agent
Still looking for help I can see the Sanyo z1 is popular but so is the X1 and I have also seen the panny300 recommended. ALso a couple others as well, I just cant tell which one would be ideal for my situation.

Plus are "long throw" projectors better then the short ones?

and the biggest problem for is what type of screen? and screen material should I use? there is so much variety ot types and prices on ebay

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Short throw cs long throw does not matter so long as tour room is big enough to accomodate a longer throw projector and at 18'x40' I see no worries there.

A lot has to do with budget. There are a rgeat many options from crt, dlp and lcd, and even some lcos/dila projectors popping up now but I suspect that they may be out of your price-range.

Just to give you an idea, some of the more popular digital projectors right now are

- Sony HS10, HS20
- Panasonic L200, L300, L500
- Infocus X1
- Sanyo Z1, Z2

that range in price from about $1K to $3K. Personally, I like the native 16x9 projectors paired up with a 16x9 screen as I watch 99% widescreen material and 1% 4x3. I also gravitate to the WXGA (1366x768 or 1280x720) projectors but the 1/4 HDef (960x540) projectors (are certainly good performers too.

JimmyJK

Agent
I just got some great advice/information I decided to go with the Sanyo Z2.

thx guys

this forum is really quite aamzing.

-Jimmy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks