18" subwoofer use in Home Theater

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kyle, Mar 5, 2001.

1. Kyle

Kyle Stunt Coordinator

I am quite new to designing HomeTheaters but I have years of experience installing car audio systems so please bear with me. I have just traded 2 of my 4 12" in Kicker speakers for 1 18" sub even up. I was thinking of putting this into my home theater some how. I currently have an 100 watt 8" for a sub, does the job but doesn't get very low. I have an old Carver amp (300 watt) that I could use for the power for the 18". My question basically is: Will an 18" be too muddy for use in a home theater? I will use a sealed box as with all of Kicker speakers.
    ------------------
    Kyle

2. Harold A

Harold A Stunt Coordinator

Kyle,
    First, do you have any specs on the driver? It will help a lot in designing the box. There are many software packages that you can download that will help you in designing the box but you need the driver parameters. You just can not throw into into a box and have it sound good. What size box do you plan to use? I am not an expert here I am relativley new to DIY subs only built 2 so others will chime in with more help.

3. Kyle

Kyle Stunt Coordinator

I don't have the specs on it right now. (I am at work) but I do know Stillwater designs recommends a 3 1/2 to 4 cubic foot box. The problem is not box design (I have built many) Rather, with such a big driver has anyone had any issues with "sloppy or muddy" bass. I know it was designed to hit the lowest of frequencies but just wondering if anyone has experience with using such a driver in a home theater?
    ------------------
    Kyle

4. Greg Monfort

Greg Monfort Supporting Actor

'Sloppy', or 'muddy' is a function of cab alignment, so you can design it out/in as you choose, unless the driver has a Qts > ~.577, then this sets the best alignment possible.
    GM
    ------------------
    Loud is beautiful, if it's clean

5. Chris Hoppe

Chris Hoppe Stunt Coordinator

It sounds to me that you are talking about a Kicker Competition series 18".
    Sorry to be negative, but in my experience, those particular drivers do have that typical sloppy loose bass that people associate with 18" drivers.
    Mind you, there is nothing wrong with the concept of an 18" driver, it's just that few of them have a strong enough motor behind them to control the cone properly.
    For best results with that driver, try a sealed enclosure. They are designed for that application.

6. Kyle

Kyle Stunt Coordinator

Yes, its a Competition 18 and you are correct about the sealed enclosure, I would only use a sealed enclosure with a "Kicker" speaker. I have heard these in Vans and Big rigs but not in a house so it will be interesting to find out how it sounds in an open environment.
    ------------------
    Kyle

7. Chris J R

Chris J R Extra

Do any of you guys remember not too long ago the guy that built a coffee table with a sub in it. If memory serves-and it should I am still young [​IMG]-it was a kicker 18. I don't have the link for the life of me, but someone else may know what I am talking about. I will look for it later as it will give you an idea of alignments and sounds etc. Laters!!
    ------------------
    Laters!!
    Rollo

8. Michael Robbins

Michael Robbins Auditioning

9. Kyle

Kyle Stunt Coordinator

Oh man, you didn't have to show me this...ha ha!
    Well at least I know it can be done and hopefully it sounds good! Thanks everyone for the input
    ------------------
    Kyle