Qts:0.40
Xmax:7mm
Qms:12.06
Qes:.41
Le:1.88Mh
Spl:98dB !!!!!!!!
Sd:180.8 sq. In.
All For $75.88
Well, there it is. I welcome any and all opinions!
To me it doesnt look too bad. The Fs could be lower.
The Xmax Could be more.But It Is 18" of subwoofer!
Thanks, Mike

Kyle Richardson

Screenwriter
What is it's price? Take a look at the Adire Maelstrom too for another efficient 18" subwoofer.
Are you sure your SD figure is correct? I think not :) Probably square inches.

Mike boettner

Stunt Coordinator
Kyle,

I fixed it. It is sq. in. Not feet! silly me!

I put the price on there too. Sometimes I try to post too fast!

Mike

Mike boettner

Stunt Coordinator
Dustin,

It will be used for Music 60% and HT 40%.

The size of the box is of no concern, so if I have to go bigger to go lower, I will. I have a question for anyone to answer. How can you tell if it is for sealed or ported? I like the sound of sealed best, but can live with ported.

This will be my "in between" sub. Better than what I have now, but not my final "perfect" sub.

DanWiggins

Second Unit
Mike,

What's the Vas of that driver? To reach the rated efficiency, it would need to be up around 890 liters - around 31 cubic feet. You'd need around 14.5 cubic feet for a Qtc=0.707 sealed box (f3 = 47 Hz), compared to 3.2 cubic feet for the same alignment for Maelstrom (F3 = 50 Hz). And with the Xmax difference, you'd need two of the PE units to have the same swept volume, and about 10 times the cabinet size, to have the same basic extension and SPL.

Just something to keep in mind - high efficiency with a mid-level Qes, and mid-low Fs means a HUGE Vas, which means mondo huge boxes.

Dan Wiggins

Adire Audio

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
Yeah, I think the specs they have don't look so bad but when you consider the practical application, that driver doesn't look so good. If you're looking to save money you can buy someone's old SVS driver, or a Blueprint 1201 or something... or save money for a real 15-18" driver.

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
Yeah, if you were looking for a high efficiency driver for a low power amp Id go with the Adire Maelstrom. Its efficiency is very high, 96db if Im not mistaken. It has an Fs of 20hz, so you can be sure to go low. It also has an Xmax of 13mm. Not great but for an 18"er, thats pretty decent.

Its only $300 so you could buy a really cheap amp to use with it. Unless you go with a sealed alignment. Maybe enough for you (I personally would need more power if it was sealed).

Eh, just my $.02

Mike boettner

Stunt Coordinator
ok Dan here you go...
VAS=15 Cu. Ft.
My heart wasnt set on this driver but, it did look like an ok driver for under a $100. That is why I started this thread. I'm poor!! And cheap!!
OK, next question about this driver: would it work well as an Ib into an attic or crawl space? with the VAS that big it should work ok like as an Ib?
I didnt want to start yet another "tell me all the good, cheap drivers" thread, So lets make this "Is this a good driver for $75" thread :)
Thanks for all your help guys!
Mike

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
There are better drivers for IBs. That has an Fs of 26.6Hz and maybe 1.5-1.7L of displacement. A good 12" driver would be better. Maybe a Blueprint 1201 if you were looking to save money.

Personally, I'd save up a bit more money and just buy a better sub like a Tempest.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks