18" subs

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Dave_Gib, Apr 15, 2005.

1. Dave_Gib

Dave_Gib Stunt Coordinator

I'm looking for an 18" supersub or maybe a couple of desent ones for my HT. The 4 12" Dayton DVC's just aren't doing it for me anymore, I need to move some more air. I have been looking at an RE 18" XXX, or maybe a couple of the SX 18's, I will probably go with one of those choices if you guys can't suggest something better

2. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

RE, nice stuff. You might also look into the Ascendant Audio line of divers.

The 18" sweeps over 6.5lts, carries a low FS-16Hz, along with using XBL..

NOT knowing what your looking to build as far as an alignment, this 18" (might/could) be something for you to look into further.

Check it out **HERE** if you like..

Chad also has 15's and 12's in the Avalanche line, along with the Atlas variable Q line.

Regards
    Geoff ¥

3. Brad E

Brad E Second Unit

I'll second what Geoff said. Even though I've never heard the Avalanche 18, I've heard nothing but good things about it.
    I myself am ordering 2 Atlas 15's very soon. Can't wait.

4. Dave_Gib

it all looked good until I saw the Pnom, I guess that's thermal. I'll be driving the sub with a QSC 1450 RMX @ 4 ohms mono, might smoke it after a while. Espeacially with some of the parties around here[​IMG]

I think I will go ported tuned to ~30Hz, right now those daytons are tuned to about 16 Hz, great for movies but gawdawful with music, and I was thinking of tuning more for music, but having a sub that wont bottom out down in the teens with 1400 rms for movies

any feedback [​IMG] , I'm just here for ideas

5. stephanX

stephanX Stunt Coordinator

what you need my friend, is a couple of plugggable ports, so you can open all the ports, get a BUNCH of port area and tune to 25hz for music, then drop her down to 16hz for movies. 4 dayton dvcs is pretty much the same diplacement as one avvy 18.

6. Dave_Gib

right, but a XXX 18 has 34% more displacement, for ~$30 more, which I think would put me right where I want to be, for now......

pluggable ports does sound like a good idea, I guess I could use plumber's fittings on the end, like a 4" pvc pipe with a screw on cap......maybe paint it black, but it might whistle

any better ways?

7. Seth_L

Seth_L Screenwriter

I wouldn't worry about the Pnom. The fact is they take less power to get loud than some other subs. So, you could run one of them one off each side of your QSC amp and get 450W to each and sweep even more air than a XXX 18.

I looked at the RE XXX 18 before, and determined it wasn't very suited to any box config I wanted to use at the time in a house enviroment. Coupled with the unavalability of the Le value of the driver I lost interest rather quickly.

8. JimPeitersen

JimPeitersen Second Unit

Have you seen the ones James has for sale in the FS section? The 1804 driver is quite impressive, and you can get two of his for $400. I have two of the Blueprint 1803's (basically the same driver) in LT sonotubes. They are being powered by 1,200 watts per sub from a pro amp, and have survived a couple of years. Chad's AV subs are quite a bargain, and he is a wonderful guy to do business with. Good luck in your "bass" hunting.
    JP

9. Bryan Michael

Bryan Michael Supporting Actor

i have 4 of the avalanch 18 and they ate awsome i have them in a ib and with the ultra low fs they shake the house down.

10. Mark Seaton

Mark Seaton Supporting Actor

Mark Seaton

A better question is what you mean when you say they don't do it for music? You mean at party volumes or in general? Also, how crazy are you willing to go with the box size? When you limit the box size, you will often find that multiple, smaller woofers will often give you more capability than one larger one. For party use I would tend towards wanting to use multiple woofers. Maybe a few 15s in big vented boxes. The pluggable port is a very good idea for this. Design the system to be flat to a good 18-22Hz and then probably double the port area where you get a tune that gives you a nice ~2-3dB bump at the bottom end. Of course adding a high pass filter for the high output mode would be preferred.

11. Dave_Gib

yeah, I just looked into that, great deal, but at 4 ohm stereo with my amp it's barely a step up

I feel like I am wasting too much time on this, I think I will just build a new box for the daytons and spend the money on a new center channel

12. JimPeitersen

JimPeitersen Second Unit

Dave,
    I beg to differ about the two 1804's being about equal to your four 12's. The two 1804's will displace roughly 13 liters of air each stroke, which is significantly more than the four daytons. With enough power, they should sound roughly twice as loud as your set up. Put them in large ported boxes, and your entire neighborhood will enjoy your parties.
    JP

13. Dave_Gib

Not with the amount of power I can give them, even with a 15 cu.ft. box. And I really doubt my neighbors can hear me

14. Chris Brock

Chris Brock Second Unit

I suppose I will put my suggestion in. I would pick up the two 1804's in the for sale section and (assumming you have this option) would put them in an IB setup. I have the same drivers in an IB and woudl highly recommend that setup.

Also as far as the Avalance 18 vs. the XXX18, the XXX18 is much less efficient and therefor needs more power to match the output of the AVA 18 at lower power levels. If you want a less efficient driver just for the sake of being able to pump more wattage for the same output then the XXX would make sense[​IMG]

15. Mike Keith

Mike Keith Second Unit

The RE XXX is more tuned for auto use, a Fs of 29Hz is terrible for a home sub. IMO the Avalanche would do much better and more efficent and it should go much lower.