18" drivers for sonosub

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin Beck, Apr 4, 2002.

1. Kevin Beck

Kevin Beck Stunt Coordinator

Hello again,..

Was wondering,...I have seen more 15" and 12" subs being used for home theater than anything. Is there a reason 18's are not a choice? What are the thoughts on this?

Thanks guys,...GRCRY,...>>>--->

2. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

There wasn't much appropriate until recently. The Maelstrom and BP1803 are both excellent choices, and as time goes buy we are going to see more designs using both.

The big problem with the Maelstrom is it only has a 0.5L Vd advantage over a Tempest but costs twice as much. So the people around here would rather buy 2 Tempest than 1 Maelstrom. But for some where the cost isn't as much of an issue it is the best option.

We could also see two new 18" drivers from Adire in the near future. The Brahma 18" for sure, and hopefully one ideal for IB/huge ported/dipole use.

3. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

I'll be starting on my 1803 enclosure this weekend hopefully. But I'm not into the whole sonotube subs much so I'll be building it as an endtable to go next to my couch. Should make movie watching interesting!

Brian

4. Marv

Marv Stunt Coordinator

Kevin if your considering 18's the Audiobahn 1805x is a pretty good "bang for buck" with some good T/S's to. You can get one here for $239. I'm using one in an IB currently but they do model well in a vented and closed(little eq) box.

5. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

Marv

Do you have any photos of your IB?

If so I'd like to add them to the IB gallery

Thanks

Thomas

6. Pat K

Pat K Stunt Coordinator

18's generally are not as tight sounding as something smaller. Its hard to have your cake and eat it too. 15's and 18's can usually go lower than an 8, 10, or a 12. But there are alot of 15's and 18's that sound just as tight as smaller subs.

7. Marv

Marv Stunt Coordinator

Thomas I will borrow a digicam and take some picts. Is it ok to email them to you?

-Marv

8. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer