What's new

17x12 space - two rows of seats? (1 Viewer)

peter_van

Grip
Looking for some ideas. At present, I have 56" Samsung DLP which I will likely swap for a projector when my room is finished, but for now am modelling around it (not sure if I will have any cash left ;-)

My room is 17 deep. Assuming I put in some chairs which recline, I'm expecting I'll need 4 1/2 feet or so per row, putting my first row at 11 feet off the front wall give or take. If my screen is 2 feet off the wall, this leaves me a little close in the front row based upon my current set (and 2xwidth distance modelling) but really close if I try and stick up an 8' diagonal screen.

Do my numbers sound off? Has anyone built two rows in a project at this depth and found the front row to remain at a reasonable distance?

Its clearly lots of room for one row, but I'm challenged by width to do more than 3 seats wide, and would like at least 4. Not sure if my room is just too small.

Thanks,

P

ChadLB

Screenwriter
You might be safer to go with maybe recliners in the front row and a nice couch in the second row. Probably not what you wanted to hear but sometimes you have to compromise to get what you want.

chad

Thomas_A

Second Unit
The HT room we are building right now is exactly the same size as what your doing. We will have 8ft ceilings to go with it. Ive got an LCD yamaha FP...and will be doing @ 92" screen...I may go a tad smaller...depending on once its setup. I was thinking about doing the above. I have 3 recliners for the front row (will be tight)...and thinking about adding a loveseat or such for a back row...on about a 6"-8" riser so the rear can see clearly over the front.

Alot will be determined once the room is done and I can get the FP in there and shoot an image.

Good luck
Thomas.

David Noll

Stunt Coordinator
When you put your screen in, will you place it on the wall and gain the 2' back?

My front row (eye position)is about 11'6" from the screen and my second row (eye position) is 16' from screen. With recliners you do need more space between rows because if front row has seat back reclined and rear row has leg rest up, the seats may touch. I actually sat 9'6" away from the screen which is a Stewart FireHawk 96"x54" when I was auditioning. Very watchable at that distance except the large image was bigger than field of view making for tired eyes from the constant scanning of image. Projector is a Runco VX-1000ci.

I think it will work, especially when (if) you get a projector.

David

Thomas_A

Second Unit
One reason I mainly with with an FP was too gain the extra footage from the screen...and of course..a larger screen size. Everything looks good on paper...its once you start to set it up...that you find out whats real? hehe.

thomas.

peter_van

Grip
I am just doing the final budgetting with the builder on the basement finish, and expect I'm into 30k or so anyway, so an extra 3-4 on a decent low end projector makes a lot of sense. Have to ease the wife into this type of thinking though ;-)

Lets her keep the Samsung pedestal in the living room however which it is a pretty thing to look at.

Thanks for the tips!

P

Thomas_A

Second Unit
I got away with an FP when the wife was actually in a room with a projector that was just about our size. Was playing Shark Tales....she got hooked after that. Might help in your WAF.

Andrew Stoakley

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andrew Stoakley
Hi Peter,

My home theatre is approx. 17 x 11, give or take a few inches and I went with 2 couches, although I could have easily put in one row of recliners in the front and couch in the back. I have a 57" widescreen and have no trouble with viewing. If I had decided to put in a FP with screen I could easily put in two rows of recliners with the gained space. I have pics of my setup in the members galleries, just follow the link.

Cheers,
Andrew

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks