What's new

1776 - Director's Cut coming on July 2nd. (1 Viewer)

Gerard Priori

Stunt Coordinator
Each time I find my opinion of Hunt softening and I reconsider purchase of this disc when it's released, the "deal" gets more and more sour. With the complete exclusion of the deleted scenes even as a supplement, I definitely will not buy this DVD. Hunt can keep his director's cut; I no longer care. I wonder for whom all this effort has been made. Surely not the fans of the film who have been vocal, yet ignored. This seems to be solely a vanity project for Hunt who has complete disregard for his core audience.

-Jerry

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I think some of you have incorrect ideas when it comes to how much influence a director has on the final contents of a dvd. Yes, Hunt was given the go-ahead to re-edit the film as he saw proper. That's it. He has no say whatsoever regarding supplements on the dvd. That's all up to the home video arm of Columbia. He can voice his opinion, but in the end, it has very little weight. That the deleted scenes won't be included is sad. I'd much rather have them than screen tests. Alas, I feel that what is left will be worth seeing.

Dharmesh C

Supporting Actor
DVDFILE have a review, I've never seen it, so I can't wait to pick it up :) Despite the controversy surrounding this release amongst the fans, will u lot be buying it anyway?

Steven_J_H

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven
I have the ld and will buy the dvd because I love the film. To see it in what hopefully will be a great transfer is worth every cent. I saw this film in Radio City when it opened and it remains a great memory of my youth.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
My friend tells me he should be getting his copy any day now, and I look forward to seeing this version most anxiously - I also look forward to reading what Ron has to say about the disc.

We've waited this long, a couple days wont matter now (and less than a month til I can buy my own copy!)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Sure, Peter Hunt has every right to butcher

the film to what he feels is his liking. It

is the fans like myself, however, that not

only made this film a success but campaigned

to Columbia to get it out as a Special Edition.

That fanbase has been totally ignored.

I thought the entire point was to get the film back into the original cut (before Jack L. Warner had it sliced and diced) instead of making a fan-made version. If it's the director's cut, what does that make the laserdisc version?

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
The laserdisc has everything shot (essentially) the movie is 172 minutes (Overture and Intermission run 7-8 minutes, making the 180 listed on the LD jacket)

The director's cut is 166 minutes, with basically three trims, and one scene added that wasn't found for the laserdisc.

The Warner theatrical cut is 141 minutes.

So the directors cut adds 25 minutes to the theatrical version, where the laserdisc adds 31 minutes.

The trims from the laserdisc are:

- Two verses and a chorus of "Piddle Twiddle and Resolve"

- The reprise of "The Lees of Old Virginia"

- A 45 second scene containing a quote from Tom Paine

about 35 minutes into the film.

So these add up to about six minutes difference. Important changes, sure - but the Directors cut is 95% the Laserdisc cut.

I count the moments until this disc arrives...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks