What's new

$177 for Eagles tickets? (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I couldn't believe the $177 ticket prices for the Eagles concert in May in Atlanta. (This is for seats on the lower section on the box seats side). This is getting insane.

Jason_H

Second Unit
No offense to your musical tastes, but I am sure glad I'm not into any of the old-timer rock bands like the Rolling Stones (well, I like their 60's and 70's stuff!!!), Eagles, Billy Joel, Elton John, etc. Everytime I see they are coming to town, the ticket prices are just unbelievable. I guess they figure they have an older audience who can afford it, but it still doesn't seem very thoughtful of them to super-gouge their fans like that.

On the flipside, I choose to see many wonderful bands from OVERSEAS that charge between $12-$20 for a two-hour show, and you don't have to sit in some massive amphitheater.

Brajesh Upadhyay

Supporting Actor
I was looking into Eagles tickets for Philly & was shocked by the prices too. They cost almost as much as scalped Bruce Springsteen tickets.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
I paid $48.00/ticket for Elton John/Billy Joel 2 years ago at San Jose Arena. Surprisingly, the seats were to the sides of the stage on the upper deck. Excellent view of the stage and performers. And those 2 guys rocked big time.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I think my days of attending live concerts for musical artists I like are pretty much over. As much as I'd like to see some of these acts, I can't justify the cost expenditure for the overly priced tickets.

KrisM

Second Unit
Some local radio guys here were surprised that Springsteen hasn't sold out yet, while he apparently has sold out numerous shows in places like New York, but the tickets are over $120CDN!
That kind of money for one show is ridiculous. I know there are many people that need to make a profit on each show, but the revenue coming in is close to $2 million, not including concessions, t-shirts etc.
It is a free country and if I don't like it, I don't have to pay, which is why I won't.
And not to bash Springsteen because I like his music and would love to see him, but for about $80 I can to go our blues festival and hear 3 days of fantastic music. Likewise our folk festival is about $100 for 4 days of music.

Regards
KrisM

Jason_H

Second Unit
I think my days of attending live concerts for musical artists I like are pretty much over. As much as I'd like to see some of these acts, I can't justify the cost expenditure for the overly priced tickets.
Well, it's good that you are willing to take a stand and refuse to perpetuate the madness. Many people are not doing so, and keep shrugging their shoulders and blindly handing money over as the prices go up and up.

Personally, I have to take a reality check when tickets hit a certain level. I think the most I paid for a concert was $40 to see the Smashing Pumpkins, but this was on their charity tour and the entire markup on the ticket went to a local Houston children's charity...a whole lot easier to justify than padding some super-rich old rocker's pockets.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
yeah, i'm so done with high ticket prices.

the last one i did was for U2. i think i dropped about three bills on that one. while it was a great show, i'm not sure if it was 300 dollars great.

i can promise you all, here and now, that i will never pay that much for a concert again.

well, maybe front and center for depeche mode, but that's about it... :b

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Patrick,

I have been thinking about cheap seats at the Atlanta show. What are these going for - $80 ???

$177 is insane - does Joe Walsh's Maserati need work?

:) Life's Been Good reference for you non-Walsh fans...

Jeff Brooks

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff Brooks
I know that is high, but I like the Eagles. I even joined that Yahoo club for another $60, and got great seats pre-sale, before the first show sold-out. Pre-sale seats are available through tomorrow for the second show, before they go on sale to the general public on Saturday. They are absolutely the best seats I've gotten for any concert at Philips-I'll tell you that. They were $87 plus all those extra charges they like to add (like another $10.50 per ticket, I think). At one point, I had 5th-row floor for $177, but I don't like to stand! To me, roughly $100 per ticket is worth it for the Eagles, but not $200!

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
the last one i did was for U2. i think i dropped about three bills on that one. while it was a great show, i'm not sure if it was 300 dollars great.
You obviously went to a scalper. This thread's not about scalped ticket prices - it's about expensive face value tickets. U2's top ticket in 2001 was $130, not $300...

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
:rolleyes

hey colin -

no offense, but don't be so quick to judge. i would NEVER buy scalped tickets. i never have and i never will.

let's do some math okay?

130 x 2 = 260
fees @ 10 bucks per ticket = 20

so, we're lookin about about 280 (give or take). is that close enough to 300 for you?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
At Philips, the super cheap seats are anywhere from $47-$87 for the Eagles concerts (2 play dates)!

Richard Gilmore

Stunt Coordinator
I'm with you guys - my days of live concerts for the oldies are over as long as they want blood along with the money. I can sit at home, crank up the sound, and watch it live on my projector while sipping a brew with the Mrs. If the prices ever get back down to a sane level, I'll return, but until then, they can sell that ticket to someone else.

Ken_WI

Stunt Coordinator
There are still some artists who play a great show and don't gouge you on tickets. I recently saw the Pretenders, and they totally rocked. Awesome show, tickets were like $26 and we were right down in front.

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
Ticket prices for shows of any size are outrageous. From the Zoo TV, Popmart, and Elevation tours, ticket prices went from approx. $30 to $60 to $85 (didn't go for the most expensive seats for Elevation, which were over $100). So from 1992 to 2001, the price tripled more or less.

I don't go to many arena/stadium shows anymore, in part because I can't justify paying the price. I'm not as interested anymore in seeing bands/artists that are enormously popular, especially when I can see other favorites in venues where I can be within twenty feet of the stage and not drop a hundred bucks. Saw Guided By Voices and Neko Case on the same night at two different clubs and spent less than thirty dollars.

Service fees are insane these days, though. Got a ticket over the web to see The Flaming Lips. The ticket was $18 face value, plus $5.50 in "convenience" charge and $3.75 in processing/handling charge. So an $18 ticket gets $9.25 tacked on.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
so, we're lookin about about 280 (give or take). is that close enough to 300 for you?
You didn't indicate that you were discussing a PAIR of tickets. Every other item here relates to the cost of a SINGLE ticket. By your reasoning, I could bitch about any show - hey, that $20 I spent to see Neil Finn comes out to $300 if I buy 15 tickets!

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
colin -

my issue isn't even with the ticket prices, it was with your blatant statement that i did something illegal.

You obviously went to a scalper. This thread's not about scalped ticket prices...
emphasis mine...

i think that's why i flew off the handle. tbh, today, i don't even care. perhaps you could have posted your comment in a less accusatory manner? i dunno....whatever. it's not that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things.

let's agree to drop this and move on. we're all friends here, so the next beer's on me okay? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks