175W speakers with 100W receiver

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ScottHannen, Dec 16, 2001.

1. ScottHannen

ScottHannen Extra

Can anyone tell me if my Kenwood VR-407 (100w supposedly per channel) is likely to adequately drive a pair of JBL N38s, rated 175w, 90db sensitivity, along with a much smaller center and surrounds? I'm sorry for the lazy question. I read as much as I could on older threads but couldn't draw a specific conclusion. I'd hate to buy something then destroy it. My room is only about 16x12, I have a subwoofer, and I don't play at deafening levels.

Thanks,

Scott

2. Alex Prosak

Alex Prosak Supporting Actor

Shouldn't be any problem at all. Most speakers require a minimum of 10-30 W. If you get a wild hair and start cranking your amplifier, be careful. You're more likely to fry tweeters with an underpowered amp than an overpowered amp due to the amplifier clipping.

3. Russell _T

Russell _T Supporting Actor

Also keep in mind that if you were to go from a 100W amp to a 200W amp, you only gain 3 Db. However as the previous poster pointed out, it is the peaks you have to worry about. An under powered amp driven to extreme levels is likely to distort causing possible damage to the high frequency drivers. A good rule of thumb is to not turn the receiver volume knob past the 12 o'clock position.

Russ

4. ScottHannen

ScottHannen Extra

I don't use a knob for volume. I typically play TV in the -30 to -40db range. -30 is rare, louder than that only if the movie is unusually quiet. How does that equate to 12 o'clock?

Underpowering the speaker is exactly what I'm concerned with.

Thanks,

Scott

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    175w rating on the speaker is not a requirement, but a MAXIMUM recommended power. I think it will be fine.