What's new

17 in lcd $299 (1 Viewer)

Rich Milak

Agent
Best Buy has the KOGi 17.1" TFT-LCD Flat-Panel Monitor with Integrated Speakers (Black)
Model: L7EH-BL These are made by GVision and are rated very good:
http://www.4kogi.com/index.htm

http://www.gvision-usa.com/about.html

i just got one and its' great for the price
Customer Reviews
Avg. Customer Review:
Write an online review and share your thoughts with other customers.
1 of 1 people found the following review helpful:

Good buy for everyday use. Get it now. Linux users note.., January 22, 2003
Reviewer: mikehawaii (see more about me) from Honolulu, HI United States
This monitor is a good buy, and picked mine up this weekend. There are no software drivers with this monitor like you'd get with the expensive monitors to use to access special video modes, and to further clean up the image on the screen. It uses basic drivers included with the operating system.

When I first hooked it up, the image was really fuzzy, and I had my doubts. When I changed my resolution to the maximum screen size, the monitor instantly cleared up. After doing this, now I can change screen sizes with very little loss in resolution.

It even plugged into my Redhat 8 system and was picked up with no problem, except one. The Xwindow mode is extra sharp on the screen, but during bootup/shutdown, the native Linux black screen was very fuzzy, as if it had a hard time switching video modes. I don't know how it would do if you just booted into command line mode, but I use GUI exclusively in Linux. You might have to rebuild the kernel to get it to work clearly in that situation.

Was this review helpful to you?

See it to believe it., January 20, 2003
Reviewer: John Lee from ANAHEIM, California United States
I researched a lot of flat panels until I settled on this one. It worked perfectly right out of the box, no dead pixels, and the text, which I work extensively with, was crisp and clear. So much better than my 19 inch CRT. I also reclaimed all the desk space. Though the screen is only 17 inches, it actually looks as big as my 19 inch CRT.

I also play America's Army and find no problems with the response time at all. No perceivable blurring.

Great monitor.

11 of 11 people found the following review helpful:

Best deal on a 17" LCD, December 17, 2002
Reviewer: An electronics fan from Los Angeles, CA USA
My main goal in buying an LCD monitor was to reclaim all the desk space my CRT was taking up. After looking at a number of models, I decided that value was more important to me than anything else. The GVision is among the cheapest, if not the most cost-effective 17" LCD on the market. The price point of this model is lower than many 15" LCDs, and it offers additional features like built-in speakers.

Sure, you can get a better monitor, for example a Sony or a Viewsonic, but it will cost you 1 1/2 to 2 times more. And despite the price, this unit doesn't compromise quality. No dead pixels, good viewing angles all around, and a crisp, bright screen at the native 1280x1024 resolution.

This monitor also has a superbly small desktop footprint. Sure, all LCD monitors will save space over a CRT, but the GVision's oval base gains a couple inches of footprint savings over comparable monitors.

The built-in speakers don't produce a lot of sound, and they are a bit tinny. But if computer sound is important to you, you'll probably want to invest in a separate amplified speaker system anyway. For me, I just wanted to get rid of my ugly accessory speakers and clear some desk space. These built-in speakers did the trick.

1 of 3 people found the following review helpful:

Easy Setup, December 7, 2002
Reviewer: An electronics fan from San Francisco, CA United States
Easy set-up, however, from photo I thought it was a grey/silver finish but in actuality it is putty. Speaker quality lacks what I would have liked. Fairly good resolution.

;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Masood Ali

Supporting Actor
FYI, Best Buy is now selling another 17" LCD (a rebadged Samsung) for $250 after MIR.

Much better deal because Samsung LCDs are quality, while the Kogi one is not a name brand.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
I was about to buy a 15" Kogi from BB for $199. Although that was a killer price I looked at the monitor and it had a very cheap look to it and something told me the build quality would be about the same. I spent $100 more and got a 15" Viewsonic on sale and love its quality. Just some more input for those sitting on the fence.

Chazz_S

Supporting Actor
I took a look at these, but decided off it after my brother told me he got a brand new dell 19in UltraSharp LCD (from dell, still don't know how/why they were selling brand new 19 incher LCDs for so cheap) for around $550 shipped. That insane deal is over unfortunately, but makes the 17in kogi look less attractive now.

-Chuck

Masood Ali

Supporting Actor
VPR Matrix; I believe one of the rebates already expired on it, so the price for it is around $300 after MIR.

Link

BTW, after reading info from other sites, it seems that you should have a CSR do a SKU lookup if you want to find this monitor. Many BB's keep these in the back and not on the sales floor. And DON'T let them substitute the Kogi 17" LCD for this one, because there are significant differences in the technical specifications of each LCD.

The SKU and model number are:

SKU# 5206877 vprMatrix Model 1760

This is a rebadged Samsung 171. It has DVI & Analog inputs.

And if you go online to the rebates page, you'll see an expired rebate for $50 dollars. Some people are having luck bringing the expired rebate in and getting the store manager to honor it as an "instant rebate". YMMV though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks