17" CRT vs 15" LCD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kraig Lang, Aug 30, 2002.

1. Kraig Lang

Kraig Lang Stunt Coordinator

Okay, I've started looking at LCD monitors and see that the prices jump pretty dramatically from the 15" to the 17" monitors. Currently I have a 17" CRT and am wondering if I'm going to be happy dropping to the 15" LCD.

The use is mostly for gaming and DVD playback. Is this a good way to go?

Thanks for any feedback.

Kraig

2. JustinW

JustinW Extra

Not to sure about the gaming and DVD aspect but from what I understand a 17inch CRT generally has only about a 15inch viewable area whereas a 15inch LCD has a 15inch viewable area, 17 has 17 etc.

3. Christian Behrens

Christian Behrens Supporting Actor

Christian Behrens
    Kraig,

CRTs are still the display of choice for gamers, as LCDs blur fast animation and movement on screen in general, due to the fact that the pixels have a longer "afterglow" (for lack of a better term).

Consider that you have a rock steady picture on an LCD with a refresh rate of just 60 Hz.

Thus, you might not want to buy something sight unseen.

Cheers,

-Christian

4. Mark Hsieh

Mark Hsieh Agent

Stick with a CRT. I use my laptop now mainly for gaming, and while its fine, I sometimes start to strain my eyes.

5. Kraig Lang

Good Points, I've been reading on line over at gamespot, tomstechnews, and a few other sites and they pretty much agree.

I've got to get my Dad a new monitor, he's still working on a 13" compaq screen and that bugs the crap out of me. I figured I could give him mine and buy a new one for myself.

I've seen that some LCDs are getting better, but it would run me $700 for a decent one. I'll look at some of the newer CRTs for a while and figure it out.

Thanks,
    Kraig

6. Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton Screenwriter

Many games force a change of resolution (i.e., to 1024 x 768 or 800 x 600 or 640 x 480). Unlike CRTs, LCDs have one native resolution.

If the selected resolution and the LCD's native resolution don't match, platforms have two ways to deal with it. One is scaling. If the scaling's not exact, you get artifacts that are especially noticeable when displaying text.

The other is downsizing the viewable area. If the game selects 640 x 480 mode, the platform can show the pixels in a 640 x 480 area in the center of the screen, with black borders around the visible area.

On a large enough screen, one might combine the approaches (e.g., to show 640 x 480 on a 1600 x 1200 screen, use a centered 1280 x 960 rectangle).

7. Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton Screenwriter

8. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

Actually, gaming on a 15 inch LCD is fine, if the LCD is of a newer type. It is even possible to run games with resolutions at 640x480 on it, the panel scales the image. Granted, it looks worse than on a CRT and noticeably so, but it's entirely doable (and enjoyable). Most games today allow you to set your own resolution, and when run at the panels native resolution (usually 1024x768) they look just fine.

Still, when I bought a new monitor I went with a 19 inch CRT instead. For normal everyday use of the computer, 1024x768 isn't enough for me, and since the 17 inch or higher LCD's cost ridiculous amounts of money I went with a CRT instead.

9. Kraig Lang

Well, I decided to buy my Dad a 17" Samsung CRT. It was around $170. I'm pretty happy with my HP for now. I'll give the LCD a few years to see how the technology goes. I think I've got at least 1 maybe 2 more years in this system.
    Thanks for all the input. Eventually, when all is said and done, the ATI 9700 and the 19" LCD will be mine, oh yes, they will be mine.[​IMG]