16x9 vs 4x3 screen.......??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by TimoM, Dec 7, 2002.

1. TimoM

TimoM Auditioning

I have an older svga DLP projector that is 4x3 format. I'm building a 20x28 foot theater room and plan to use a 10 foot wide screen but I've become confused about the aspect ratio I should get. 16x9 or 4x3 ??

Is it best to go with the larger 4x3 screen and live with the letterboxing for dvd's? Is it better to go with the 16x9 screen and don't watch 4x3 stuff? Are there scalers or doublers that can deal with the formatting issues? The masking screens look ideal but are big $$. Is there a right choice?

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    If your projector is already a native 4x3 aspect ratio, then you need to pair it up with a 4x3 screen. When you watch 4x3 material, it will be blown up to the full size of the screen. When you watch widescreen material then you will get black bars to the top and bottom of the image according to its aspect ratio. If you decide to get a 16x9 screen then, first of all, many of your DVD menus will be 4x3 and spill over onto the wall to the top and bottom of the screen, then if you watch movies that are 1.66:1, the same phenomenon will occur (although to a lesser extent). etc.

A 16x9 screen is used with a projector that has native 16x9 resolution. In that case, 4x3 material is displayed with black bars to the left and right of the image.