16X9 TV owners worried about TWIN PEAKS burning their sets?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt_Stevens, Oct 8, 2001.

1. Matt_Stevens

Matt_Stevens Supporting Actor

After all, the TV series is addictive and I worry about them side black bars burning into my 47" Panny HDTV. [​IMG] I truly wish a technology could be invented to give us 40" to 75" TV's that will never suffer burn-in, but at current RPTV prices.
    This boxed set is really something I must have, of course. I could always watch it in the bedroom on my 27 inch Sony, but that would really suck. Oh, the choices we must make with our obsession, I mean addiction, I mean hobby!
    ------------------
    www.deceptions.net/superman
    [Edited last by Matt_Stevens on October 08, 2001 at 01:26 PM]

2. Michael St. Clair

Ha!
    Tell that to somebody like me.
    An addict of:
    Twin Peaks
    The X-Files
    Star Trek (all series except Voyager)
    The Prisoner
    The Avengers
    The Prisoner
    Secret Agent / Danger Man
    ...and several other high-quality 4:3 shows
    And an even bigger fan of:
    Looney Tunes / Merry Melodies
    MGM cartoons
    Betty Boop cartoons
    Popeye cartoons
    ...and many other classics
    And of course I can't live without 4:3 classic films like:
    Snow White
    Citizen Kane
    King Kong (1933)
    It's a Wonderful Life
    The Red Shoes
    all of the Marx Bros films
    early Alfred Hitchcock
    ...and a few hundred other films
    And on the weekend I have to watch some baseball and open wheel racing, both of which are on Fox Sports and ESPN, both of which have no interest in doing 16:9 HD in the next few years.
    And don't forget IMAX!
    And most of the rest of the movies I watch are 2.35:1, which are going to have black bars on any set! I bet 15% of the movies I watch are 1.85:1 or 1.77:1.
    But even mention getting a 4:3 HD set that has a proper 16:9 squeeze mode, and people treat you like you are a war criminal. They'll tell you that you are supposed to get used to stretching, cropping, and otherwise mutilating the image of your 4:3 material. They'll tell you that you are stupid, that you just don't understand or 'get it', that 4:3 sets should not be made, and that you are buying an 'antique'.
    Nah, better to buy a 16:9 set so you can spend the next 5 years watching Family Law and the New York Lacrosse league without any black bars around the picture.
    [​IMG]

3. Brajesh Upadhyay

Brajesh Upadhyay Supporting Actor

I worry about burn-in by 4x3 material too.
    My Malata N996 DVD player allows me to scale the 4x3 picture up (in progressive mode w/TV set to Full) to a point where I can zoom into the picture w/o side black bars. Yes, I lose some of the top & bottom of the 4x3 picture, but this is better than burn-in.

4. JakeR

JakeR Stunt Coordinator

I fail to see the sin in watching 4x3 material stretched. My Toshiba 40H80 does a magnificent job in pulling only the outer edges, leaving the center (where most of the source's action takes place) relatively untouched. Cartoon material like Clerks and the Simpsons looks flawless. Live-action will exhibit some grain, but heck, so will a lot of sources on a projection TV.
    I dare say that tugging at the outer edges even looks appealing, as it gives 4x3 material the illusion of having scope. All depends on what you're working with. I've seen the same stuff on a Mitsubishi, and, hoo boy...wasn't pretty. Looked like an MPEG file.

5. Michael St. Clair

Jake,
    If it looks good to you, more power to you. To many of us it looks like crap.
    Some people don't notice MPEG artifacts, or cue dots, or many other things that some of us do.
    When I see somebody's head get fatter because they walked closer to the edge of the screen, it is anathema.
    Can you accept that what looks fine to you may look awful to some other people? I can.

6. Nathan_R

Nathan_R Supporting Actor

I hate doing it, but I stretch all my 4x3 material. I have the dreaded Panasonic PT-56WFX95, and as I have raster ringing and the "white streak" problem, I really don't want to add burn-in to the list.
    It breaks my heart to have to stretch the Simpsons to 16x9, but it makes Homer's booty rather entertaining.
    But yes, I would be worried about burn-in on my set with the Twin Peaks disc. [​IMG]
    ~~Nathan
    [Edited last by Nathan_R on October 08, 2001 at 03:43 PM]

7. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

I own a widescreen television and don't worry in the slightest about watching any number of films and supplements in the 4:3 ratio.

8. Roland G

Roland G Stunt Coordinator

Could someone please clarify "burn in"
    thanks

9. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

10. Matt_Stevens

I have been using my Malata N996 to push the image up or down on 2.35:1 films. This way, sometime the top of the screen has a black bar and sometimes the bottom. I am hoping that this helps get rid of any chance of burn-in from 2.35:1 material.
    With 1.33:1 material on the Malata, I move the image from left to right to left.
    With news broadcasts, I use the stretch mode and the Zoom mode.
    ------------------

11. Jon Robertson

So, Matt, let me get this straight...
    You've just spent a huge amount on a widescreen television, and are too frightened to watch material in it's proper aspect ratio in case of burn-in??
    That's mad! It's like worrying about watching widescreen images on a 4:3 set because of the constantly present black bars!
    Shifting 2.35:1 films up and down and 1.33:1 left to right cannot help your viewing or your sanity!
    I hope this isn't taken the wrong way, but it seems a remarkable thing to be concerned over.

12. Bleddyn Williams

Bleddyn Williams Supporting Actor

Bleddyn Williams
    I didn't see it in this thread, but Matt sounds like he has a projection set, in which case burn-in is a genuine issue.
    Jon, you're in the UK and so have a direct view set, correct? Understand that there are very few direct view 16:9 ratio TVs currently available in the US right now.
    Bleddyn
    ------------------

13. Matt_Stevens

That's correct. It's a 16x9 Rear Projection HDTV. 47".

14. Michael St. Clair

15. Matt_Stevens

I cannot see any degradation in picture quality in moving the image. None. [​IMG]
    I watch too much 16x9 material to have a 4:3 set in my living room. The bedroom has a 27" Sony, but when I move I plan on buying a 36" Flat screen 1080i capable. This will allow me to view my laserdisc collection (the ones with subtitles that get cut off on a 16x9 screen) and receive HDTV in two rooms.
    Too bad Letterman doesn't do HDTV because I prefer him to Leno.
    ------------------
    [Edited last by Matt_Stevens on October 09, 2001 at 11:52 AM]

16. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

I caught the title of this thread and am wondering whether there's something about the TWIN PEAKS set that makes it more problematic for burn-in than, say, Grand Illusion, The Wizard of Oz, Citizen Kane, or any other film shot with Academy aperture?

17. Jon Robertson

Ohhh...gotcha! Beg your pardon, but from my perspective it seemed utterly bizarre.

18. Matt_Stevens

Al, any 4:3 material applies to this.
    ------------------
    [Edited last by Matt_Stevens on October 09, 2001 at 05:06 PM]

19. David Susilo

David Susilo Screenwriter

From the spec, isn't it suppsed to be 16:9 enhanced? [​IMG]

20. Michael St. Clair