What's new

16X9 TV owners worried about TWIN PEAKS burning their sets? (1 Viewer)

Matt_Stevens

Supporting Actor
After all, the TV series is addictive and I worry about them side black bars burning into my 47" Panny HDTV.
crazy.gif
I truly wish a technology could be invented to give us 40" to 75" TV's that will never suffer burn-in, but at current RPTV prices.
This boxed set is really something I must have, of course. I could always watch it in the bedroom on my 27 inch Sony, but that would really suck. Oh, the choices we must make with our obsession, I mean addiction, I mean hobby!
------------------
www.deceptions.net/superman
[Edited last by Matt_Stevens on October 08, 2001 at 01:26 PM]

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Ha!
Tell that to somebody like me.
An addict of:
Twin Peaks
The X-Files
Star Trek (all series except Voyager)
The Prisoner
The Avengers
The Prisoner
Secret Agent / Danger Man
...and several other high-quality 4:3 shows
And an even bigger fan of:
Looney Tunes / Merry Melodies
MGM cartoons
Betty Boop cartoons
Popeye cartoons
...and many other classics
And of course I can't live without 4:3 classic films like:
Snow White
Citizen Kane
King Kong (1933)
It's a Wonderful Life
The Red Shoes
all of the Marx Bros films
early Alfred Hitchcock
...and a few hundred other films
And on the weekend I have to watch some baseball and open wheel racing, both of which are on Fox Sports and ESPN, both of which have no interest in doing 16:9 HD in the next few years.
And don't forget IMAX!
And most of the rest of the movies I watch are 2.35:1, which are going to have black bars on any set! I bet 15% of the movies I watch are 1.85:1 or 1.77:1.
But even mention getting a 4:3 HD set that has a proper 16:9 squeeze mode, and people treat you like you are a war criminal. They'll tell you that you are supposed to get used to stretching, cropping, and otherwise mutilating the image of your 4:3 material. They'll tell you that you are stupid, that you just don't understand or 'get it', that 4:3 sets should not be made, and that you are buying an 'antique'.
Nah, better to buy a 16:9 set so you can spend the next 5 years watching Family Law and the New York Lacrosse league without any black bars around the picture.
rolleyes.gif

Brajesh Upadhyay

Supporting Actor
I worry about burn-in by 4x3 material too.
My Malata N996 DVD player allows me to scale the 4x3 picture up (in progressive mode w/TV set to Full) to a point where I can zoom into the picture w/o side black bars. Yes, I lose some of the top & bottom of the 4x3 picture, but this is better than burn-in.

JakeR

Stunt Coordinator
I fail to see the sin in watching 4x3 material stretched. My Toshiba 40H80 does a magnificent job in pulling only the outer edges, leaving the center (where most of the source's action takes place) relatively untouched. Cartoon material like Clerks and the Simpsons looks flawless. Live-action will exhibit some grain, but heck, so will a lot of sources on a projection TV.
I dare say that tugging at the outer edges even looks appealing, as it gives 4x3 material the illusion of having scope. All depends on what you're working with. I've seen the same stuff on a Mitsubishi, and, hoo boy...wasn't pretty. Looked like an MPEG file.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Jake,
If it looks good to you, more power to you. To many of us it looks like crap.
Some people don't notice MPEG artifacts, or cue dots, or many other things that some of us do.
When I see somebody's head get fatter because they walked closer to the edge of the screen, it is anathema.
Can you accept that what looks fine to you may look awful to some other people? I can.

Nathan_R

Supporting Actor
I hate doing it, but I stretch all my 4x3 material. I have the dreaded Panasonic PT-56WFX95, and as I have raster ringing and the "white streak" problem, I really don't want to add burn-in to the list.
It breaks my heart to have to stretch the Simpsons to 16x9, but it makes Homer's booty rather entertaining.
But yes, I would be worried about burn-in on my set with the Twin Peaks disc.
frown.gif

~~Nathan
[Edited last by Nathan_R on October 08, 2001 at 03:43 PM]

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
I own a widescreen television and don't worry in the slightest about watching any number of films and supplements in the 4:3 ratio.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Could someone please clarify "burn in"
Unequal wear and aging of the elements that light up to create a TV picture. It's the reason why many 16:9 sets use grey bars at the side instead of black bars; the gray is supposed to approximate the average brightness of a standard image, so that the sides age equally with the 4:3 center of the screen. If the sidebars are "burned in", their outline remains visible even when a picture is projected across the entire width of the screen.
M.

Matt_Stevens

Supporting Actor
I have been using my Malata N996 to push the image up or down on 2.35:1 films. This way, sometime the top of the screen has a black bar and sometimes the bottom. I am hoping that this helps get rid of any chance of burn-in from 2.35:1 material.
With 1.33:1 material on the Malata, I move the image from left to right to left.
With news broadcasts, I use the stretch mode and the Zoom mode.
------------------

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
So, Matt, let me get this straight...
You've just spent a huge amount on a widescreen television, and are too frightened to watch material in it's proper aspect ratio in case of burn-in??
That's mad! It's like worrying about watching widescreen images on a 4:3 set because of the constantly present black bars!
Shifting 2.35:1 films up and down and 1.33:1 left to right cannot help your viewing or your sanity!
I hope this isn't taken the wrong way, but it seems a remarkable thing to be concerned over.

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
I didn't see it in this thread, but Matt sounds like he has a projection set, in which case burn-in is a genuine issue.
Jon, you're in the UK and so have a direct view set, correct? Understand that there are very few direct view 16:9 ratio TVs currently available in the US right now.
Bleddyn
------------------

Matt_Stevens

Supporting Actor
That's correct. It's a 16x9 Rear Projection HDTV. 47".
You've just spent a huge amount on a widescreen television, and are too frightened to watch material in it's proper aspect ratio in case of burn-in??
I DO watch the material in the original aspect ratio. I just simply move the image up or down, left or right with each flick. The other day I watched some ROBOTECH on one side of the screen. But with each episode, I'd move the image to the opposite side.
Burn-in IS a risk with RPTV's and I won't allow it to happen to mine. The MALATA makes XY scaling and moving the image around easy, thank the Lord.
------------------

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
But with each episode, I'd move the image to the opposite side.
Of course, when you do that with the Malata you reduce the 720x480 resolution of the 4:3 DVD to 540x480.
However, it's a good tip and may be the best way to watch 4:3 DVDs on a 16:9 set so far.
I certainly never advocate that a single passive ratio is correct for anyone; just that 4:3 HD sets are a valid choice for many people.

Matt_Stevens

Supporting Actor
I cannot see any degradation in picture quality in moving the image. None.
icon14.gif

I watch too much 16x9 material to have a 4:3 set in my living room. The bedroom has a 27" Sony, but when I move I plan on buying a 36" Flat screen 1080i capable. This will allow me to view my laserdisc collection (the ones with subtitles that get cut off on a 16x9 screen) and receive HDTV in two rooms.
Too bad Letterman doesn't do HDTV because I prefer him to Leno.
------------------
[Edited last by Matt_Stevens on October 09, 2001 at 11:52 AM]

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I caught the title of this thread and am wondering whether there's something about the TWIN PEAKS set that makes it more problematic for burn-in than, say, Grand Illusion, The Wizard of Oz, Citizen Kane, or any other film shot with Academy aperture?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks