16x9 or the letterbox on my tv, tell me difference on teh setting its on

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by kirtis_mcleskey, Dec 28, 2003.

1. kirtis_mcleskey

kirtis_mcleskey Stunt Coordinator

i know pan and scan and all

but i have a perfect square screen
    i can watch letterbox movies
    or I can also watch 16 by 9 , and it seems when i switch it to 16 by 9 , on some movies it maeks it taller letterbox and it looks bigger and yet It doesnt look like i loose anything

2. Lanny_B

Lanny_B Second Unit

I don't have a TV like yours to compare it too. The thing is (and you'll get sick of this term), putting it to anything other than it's Original Aspect Ratio will do something wrong. Pan and Scan chops things off, but if you put it to 16x9 when it's supposed to be slimmer, you'll be stretching the picture. So all their heads would look a little too long. Or, it could possibly be blowing it up a little and losing some of the sides. Those are my best guesses without seeing any screenshots of what you're seeing. But either way, you'll be distorting the picture if you set it to anything other than it's real OAR (original aspect ratio).

3. Tim K

Tim K Second Unit

you want to use letterbox since you have a 4:3 screen. If you use 16:9 some films will look right, some will be stretched. The stretched films were shot in what is called "anamorphic widescreen". For more info on this, see the Primer.

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Kirtis, tell us what make and model of TV you're using. If it has a true 16:9 "squeeze" mode, then you need to set your DVD player's output to 16:9 and be done with it. No further adjustments needed. But if your TV has no such mode, then you need to select "4:3 letterbox" in the DVD player's picture-setup menu.

5. kirtis_mcleskey

kirtis_mcleskey Stunt Coordinator

i think its the anamophic widescreen, it makes it larger than 4 x 3 , but it still has the black bars on top and bottom , it doenst look stretched although I have done this on films i have that make them look stretched

thanks guys