What's new

16x9 enhanced, 6.1 ES-discrete STARGATE?? (1 Viewer)

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
It must be what you say. The original Ultimate Edition had 2 discs, and the theatrical version was on disc 2, director's on disc 1.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Should have known $6.99 was too good a price. You get what you pay for. I got this at Fry's, and I think I might have seen the 2-disc set at another area Fry's: this one was in a plain keepcase, and I believe the other one had a cardboard sleeve.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Yes, the original has a sleeve that just duplicates the underlying keepcase cover insert...presume they changed that insert for the 1 disc version.

Artisan has a history of repackaging stuff over and over. Seems at best dubious to strip an Ultimate Edition and still call it "ultimate".

But you did get a pretty good version of the movie, though IIRC the 2-disc was very cheap too.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
If my memory is correct, the other version was only $9.95. I think the insert is probably the same on the one I got, because the chapter list says something about "Prologue (Director's Cut Only)." It's a booklet with several pages.

Anyway, thanks for clearing that up. I'll probably get the other version soon and perhaps give this copy to my brother-in-law or somebody.

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
But you did get a pretty good version of the movie, though IIRC the 2-disc was very cheap too.
For $7, I guess you can't complain, but the theatrical cut on disc 2 sported a much better transfer than the director's cut had, and I'm not just talking about where scenes were different. There was considerable edge enhancement and halos on the director's cut throughout the whole film that are completely absent on the pristine looking theatrical cut on disc 2.

-Lyle J.P.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
That'll be a concern down the road when I get a better TV, so I may still plan to get the 2-disc set. Based on the movie alone, I probably would just stick with what I've got. I haven't seen the film since it was in the theater, so I couldn't even tell you what's different.

As far as video quality, the only noticeable issue I saw on my screen was when Daniel was feeding the beast (why does that look funny in print?), and there was some noticeable print damage.

GregK

Screenwriter
I'm not at home to double check this, but I seem to recall each disc also had it's own set of supplemental features. In that case, some of the original extra features on a single disc set may now be missing as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks