What's new

16G Bi-wired or 10GA for speaker hookup (1 Viewer)

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
Just came across a local clearance center that has some AR Master Series 10G speaker wire for cheap. THe AR speakers cable features:

AdaptaTip: AR® exclusive, precision-machined 24k gold-plated AdaptaTip™ banana ends ensure the tightest connection possible

Solder-free: termination for maximum unimpeded signal transfer and accuracy
24kt gold-plated: Corrosion-free 24k gold-plated surfaces maximize audio signal transfer

10 gauge: separate alternating fine-stranded roped layers of oxygen-free copper and precious silver-coated oxygen-free copper for accurate reproduction of all frequencies.
6 mm cable signal separator: controls magnetic fields, allowing accurate sound reproduction.

My speaker setup consits of Paradigm Studio 40/20/570(v3) powered by a Rotel RMB-1095.

Kevin

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Well, I don't know what 'for cheap' means. Biwiring, as I'm sure you're aware, involves running two sets of wires to each of your speaker's terminals and then removing the plate the jumper or plate that connects those terminals. While there may be minor electrical differences between leaving those jumpers in place or removing them, the differences are such that they are inaudibile. The net effect of biwiring is that your effective gauge is increased. In the 2-16 gauge scenario, you'll have an effective gauge of 13.
Personally, I see this as a bit sloppy considering that one could simply run 12 gauge and get essentially the same effect.
The fact that those AR's are preterminated is nice as it means you don't have to do it yourself and incur additional expenses of time and money. As to whether you like the idea of your wires being terminated in pins as opposed to spades or bananas or some combination of the two is a matter of personal preference.
What your speakers are or what your amp is has no bearing on whatever wire you're considering. It simply must be of a sufficient gauge to transmit the signal faithfully and without audible degradation. If your distances are short, quite small gauges suffice (16 for instance). Nonetheless, some people feel this is not manly looking. Generally you'll find that a multistranded (improves flexibility) 12 gauge works for all scenarios that you're likely to encounter. Alternatives to what you're considering would be SoundKing over at partsexpress.com or knukonceptz (attractive blue sheath) which may be more cost effective if bought in bulk. However, then you'd need to spend a bit more to get the terminations you prefer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks