16-Year-Old Dies From Allergic Reaction

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Joined
Dec 13, 1998
Messages
12,674
Location
Central Arkansas
Real Name
Johnny Angell
When you were 16, was every decision you made smart? I was not a reckless kid, but there were a couple of times I took a chance I shouldn't have.

It's amazing how many teenage boys make it to adulthood.
 

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Joined
Nov 4, 2000
Messages
8,967
Because they know the box where the individually wrapped bars came from. The bars were away from the box. The kid never saw the original box. Also, are there no candies you can recognize even without a label?

No one is arguying the fact that the kid should have been more careful. But when one is allergic to something as mundane as nuts, such oversights are bound to happen. The kid's reaction suggest that not only he is no stranger to such occurences, he underestimated the severity of the situation.

In their grief, the parents simply wish there were a label on the candy wrapper.

This is an unfortunate and tragic accident.

--
H
 

Jassen M. West

Supporting Actor
Joined
Jun 22, 2000
Messages
526
Not every decision, but I knew I was allergic to bee's so I stayed away. Plus nutty bars smell like peanut butter and almost taste like it. This isn't a choice if he should jump his bike off "the awesome jump" we just made out of plywood and duct tape over sharp rocks. This is open the package and smell the nuts, maybe take a bite. I'm not making fun of the kid or his family but nut allergies are one of the worst I just think he could have been more cautious. Also nut allergies can get worse over time making the reaction get worse over time as well. I knew a 9 year old that had diabetes and she could administer her own shots and knew how to read her blood sugar. Age should have nothing to do with how well you know your own body or how quickly you can dial 911.
 

D. Scott MacDonald

Supporting Actor
Joined
Oct 10, 1999
Messages
545
OK, but that is entirely different point than your first point. In your first post, you said that he knowingly ate a bar that was clearly labelled "Nutty Bar". Now you are saying that he's an idiot even if it wasn't labelled.
 

Joe D

Supporting Actor
Joined
May 21, 1999
Messages
838
Here is a rule if you are allergic to something:

If you don't know what you are eating, don't eat it.
 

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Joined
Nov 4, 2000
Messages
8,967
Yes. We know. The parents know. The kid probably did too. Yet he fucked up and died. It's his fault. We know. The parents know. No one said, or implied otherwise. So I have to ask... what exactly is your point?

--
H
 

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2003
Messages
12,013
It's sad because he only took one bite. Maybe if he ate the whole thing, I'd be thinking: "Didn't he realize he was eating a peanut product?" but he took one bite and realized his mistake. Definitely one of those "Damn, that was stupid" moments that we all have made. This (unfortunately) was a deadly mistake.While I have no problem with this, it always bugs me when we have to create warnings upon warnings on every product. Sure this isn't as bad as the f**in "Caution: Contents Inside are VERY HOT!" warning on McDonald's coffe cups, but it's this whole idea of making sure that manufacturers have to warn us to ensure our safety that makes me wonder...

Or maybe I'm just upset because of all of the press I've been hearing about "Anti-Bacterial" stuff that is supposedly causing these recent peanut allergy deaths. The idea that people are SO freaked out about germs that they are creating a generation of children that can't even handle peanut dust.
 

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Joined
Mar 28, 2003
Messages
2,525
Location
Atlanta
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
Is there a study anywhere that suggests that people are more allergic to things than in the past? I just seem to hear about people being (deathly) allergic to nuts and other things but I don't remember hearing that much about it when I was younger and I was someone who read the papers and kept up with the news all the time.
 

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2003
Messages
12,013
Kevin, do some research into Anti-Bacterial studies. From what I've read, a lot of studies say that these products are making things so clean that our bodies are trying to find SOMETHING to be allergic to. They say that this is the reason for all of the peanut allergies in kids.

I would assume that these kids immune systems haven't had the chance to work enough, so they are more susceptible to allergies like peanuts.
 

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Joined
Apr 24, 1999
Messages
4,875
Damn- I like those things too, though I've always wondered why they were called "Nutty Bars" when there's no actual nuts in them besides peanut butter.
 

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
Joined
Apr 21, 1999
Messages
3,215
> If you don't know what you are eating, don't eat it.

My thoughts exactly, when you are so allergic to something so common.
 

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
Joined
Mar 8, 2001
Messages
2,504


Isn't that what he did? He took a bite, realized it wasn't something he should have eaten, threw the rest away, and tried to save himself. Did you read the same original-post that I did?
 

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Joined
May 6, 2002
Messages
3,597
Real Name
CJ
true, how about NOT taking a chance? sad for all involved, and everyone has the right answers after the fact, but a strong peanut allergy is not something you fuck around with.

CJ
 

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2002
Messages
4,463
Location
"on a little street in Singapore"
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
It was a tragic combination -- he did the usual that would deal with the coming allergic reaction (take Benadryl), but for some reason this reaction was particularly strong, and it sadly killed him.

In hindsight, as someone allergic to peanuts, he should have stayed away from any cookie unless he knew for certain it was nut-free. But that's in hindsight, which is always 20/20 -- at the time who would've known?

I do find it odd, I read lots of reports of peanut allergies in the US etc, but I have never heard of anyone being allergic to peanuts here.
 

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Joined
Nov 4, 2000
Messages
8,967

...again... the point?...

--
H - COMPLETELY disgusted by the overwhelming of stench of the smugness in some of these reactions to the preventable, yet distressingly EASY (one mistake!) death of a teenager. Bleeeeech
 

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Joined
May 6, 2002
Messages
3,597
Real Name
CJ
so why do i have to explain my point? a nutty bar reeks of peanut butter, as soon as you take it out of the package, whether it is marked or not. it's also extremely easy to open it up and find layers of peanut butter. i dont think anyone was calling the kid a moron, most of us were just saying he could have used more caution. but it's in the past, so there's no point talking about it? i dont get why you reply to everyone who doesnt have a "point".

and what you do you expect in a thread like this? it surely isn't going to only be "what a tragedy, i feel for the family" posts, which i'm sure we all do. the kid made a mistake, and in any other AHL thread where someone makes a stupid mistake resulting in severe injury or death, their decisions are questioned. but we can't talk about this one?

CJ
 

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
344,882
Messages
4,723,557
Members
141,350
Latest member
conradfan