16 Gauge High strand count, enough for 8ft or less speaker run?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Geoff L, Jan 9, 2002.

1. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Hi all,
    Being that Im able to by at cost threw a Audio Distributor in Ohio, my nieghbor has upgradeed hi Mains and Center. His speaker runs are 8', 10', 6', all set to small...Sad situation, has 24 gauge wire right now. Oh, how sad!!! [​IMG]
    His cash flows like most of us is extremley limited and trying to help out with his wire upgrade. Yes 12g, or 14g, would be the better choice, BUT, I can pick up an extremly high quality wire for him for next to nothing threw my supplier.
    The wire is sold carrying the name of American Bass, it's 16-gauge OFC, has an extremley flexible purple PVC covering and a very nice high strand count per wire. Strand Count on the 16-gauge, per wire is 180 x 2 and it's PVC covering is Translucent Purple with positive and foot markings on the wire. I can purchase this at ~{$18.90}~ per ~{150 ft roll}~. List on this stuff is $52.95 per 150ft roll.
    I have used and do currently use the 12-gauge in my own system and it is very impressive stuff. Very *felxible*,, though an extremly thick jacket. Strand count on the 12-gauge, is 325 per wire x two....!
    So given the price with his short runs and the infomation that I've provided do you guys think this would be good enough for his short runs? His system is High-Low end or Low-Mid end. Guess it depends on whos looking at it and makeing that decision.
    Receiver ~ Pioneer VSX-d709S
    Front Speaks ~ AR-226PS
    Center ~ C-225PS (I think thats the model#)
    So What do ya think, ok with the 16 or should he spring for the 14 or 12?
    The Key here is he must buy a whole spool ~{150ft}~ and the price incress quite a bit when going to 12 gauge.
    (12Gauge~150ft) my price ~{$59.90}~
    Oh, please dont recommend the usuall, as the Big city is a 2 hour ride to be able to purchase it.... These prices are delivered to his front door!
    Any input would be apreciated...
    I belive this would be fine and a major upgrade from what he's useing now, oh the pain! [​IMG]
    But certainly would like to hear what others have to say...?
    Thanxs
    Geoff

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

go for it, but you can buy soundking at partsexpress.com for 0.30/ft...the 16 gauge will be quite adequate.

3. RicP

RicP Screenwriter

Look Here. for a great deal on Speaker Wire.

4. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Thanks guys:
    Though the Sound King is a good deal most definitly, [​IMG] still the wire Im looking at for him is higher higher in quailty and cheaper ~{for me to buy}~ when looking to 12 gauge...
    The wire ideas offered are good routes and very well priced for sure, but the 16 gauge is all he can afford now, and he is also looking to run rears later! So the 150ft spool will let him wire now the fronts, center, and when the rears arrive, he has the wire for them too! The runs to the rears are 15 to 17ft and I belive given his situation this is his best price to preformance value also allowing him to compelty wire all speaks when the time comes.
    I thank you for your input, and Chu's responce tends to agree with my in home inexperiences, that the 16 gauge will be fine with his length wire runs. Aside from the translusent (sp) super flex purple jacket, whick looks pretty neat, (though some might prefer a clear flexi jacket), it's a very high quailty wire and incrediably cheap for me to buy for him. So for now, think we will go with that... When his budget and equipment upgrades come, then will move to the 12 gauge super wire!
    Thanxs again guys
    Geoff

5. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Yes, 16 ga is fine for those lengths of runs. Some speaker sites recommend:

1-10 feet: 16 ga

10-20 feet: 14 ga

20 feet +: 12 ga