What's new

16:9 -vs- 4:3 screen format re-visited (1 Viewer)

John S

Senior HTF Member
I came to a realization last night. That if you own a 48" 4:3 TV, and purchase as a size upragde a 60" or even a 65" widescreen tv, you gain very little size upgrade on your 4:3 media/video sources, if any at all even. I am glad I realized this before I ordered as I would have been very dissapointed if I had ordered a 60" widescreen format tv, and found this out after the fact. I feel it is an important thing for others to consider if you already own a large 4:3 big screen and are thinking of upgrading to a widescreen setup.

Today I placed an order to upgrade to HDTV. I chose a Philips 4:3 60" model 60PP9202. $1150 plus $100 delivery $1250 total. Comments welcome on my choice.

I am not sure I will be able to put my center channel speakers on top this set, any suggestion on that as well would be most welcome. Can I put them on the sides and maybe point them in quite a bit or something?

Thanks in advance,
John S.

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
You are overlooking the fact that all the higher quality and higher resolution media that looks good blown up to large size is widescreen like DVD and HDTV. Only old low quality and low resolution analog video is 4:3, that looks terrible blown up large! So widescreen is better, you get the high quality widescreen video at the largest size and the lower quality 4:3 video looks better a little smaller.

John S

Senior HTF Member
That is true, but I totalled my media, and I am about half and half, including a ton of laserdiscs that have most excellent video on them. Keep in mind also, that if your an old movie buff as I am, all the movies before 1950 were 4:3.....

At least a 60" 4:3 is capable of providing a 52" widescreen pciture. In other words, this way I get a foot upgrade in size on both formats, with the widescreen I would of gotten more on widescreen sources, but very little on 4:3 source.

Just a thought that I had not considered is all. I mean if your comming from a 32" 4:3, no problemo, large upgrade on both formats, but a 46" or above and you gain nothing in size on the 4:3 source is all.

David Guido

Auditioning
There's an appropriate article that talks about this issue in detail. Go to ProjectorCentral.com in the "Commentary" section, click "Your Biggest Decision: 4:3 or 16:9?"

I haven't bought mine yet, but I'm leaning towards 16:9 (both projector and screen). Most of my DVD collection is pretty recent.

~D

John S

Senior HTF Member
Great article!!! Thanks for the tip...

I am even more inclined that for myself, I made the right choice. Plus at the deal I found, I can still eat and pay most of my bills.. lol

I never ordered a TV online before, the wait is killing me, but of course.

Any body got any links to information on Comcast HD??
I did some searches last night, and did not come up with much??

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
This is why I haven't yet upgraded my 4-yr-old 60-inch RPTV, which I bought before the 16:9 explosion. Even though I'm not taking full advantage of anamorphic DVDs, they still look great (and big) when viewed in the widescreen mode.

When I upgrade, it will be to a non-RPTV technology. I have a projector which I use for business, and I've tried it at home for movies, but it doesn't cut it for TV during the day, IMHO.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Great additional thoughts on it all.....

I guess, until I get my new HDTV and start using it, I won't be able to have much more opinion on it.

It seems the 4:3 set I chose, does have some sort of way to make sure you get full resolution still out of widescreen content at least.

No native 720p support though, so that will also remain to be seen, so to speak.

DonDavis

Auditioning
John S, I am probably going to buy this same TV. I look forward to hearing how you like it. Please post with info when you get yours. Also, where did you get it online?

John S

Senior HTF Member
My scheduled delivery date is this Thursday....

I will probably wait til after the weekend, once I have had the chance to watch a bunch of various sources on it, before I post much back here about it.

I can't remember when an HT purchase has had me so excited though!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks