16:9 vs 4:3 Picture Quality?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by WaltL, Aug 20, 2001.

1. WaltL

WaltL Extra

As I am new to this and want to educate myself as much as I can before I purchase my HDTV, is there any difference in picture quality between a 16:9 tv and a 4:3 tv? I know the widescreen dvd's would be "squeezed" on a 4:3 set, but is there really any difference in picture quality between the 2 ratios as long as they are both HDTV's?
    Thanks for your help!

2. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

If you opt for a 4x3 HDTV, make sure the set has aspect ratio control (aka "the squeeze") for 480p signals as well as 1080i. The current Toshiba 4x3 HDTV's do not support this feature for a 480p signal (I believe the new models out this fall will correct the problem).
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection
    AFI 100 Films to watch: 40 -> 5

3. Dzung Pham

Dzung Pham Second Unit

I think the differences are what you would expect them to be. At the same diagonal size, a 16:9 display gives you a larger and higher resolution picture when viewing widescreen material. You are also utilizing the display more efficiently in terms of light output. On the other hand, if you view mostly 4:3 material, then all those properties move in favor of 4:3 display.

4. Abdul Jalib

Abdul Jalib Stunt Coordinator

If you're talking about comparing widescreen content on a 4:3 RPTV that does the squeeze (e.g., Sony HS10, Philips 60PP9601) to widescreen content on an equivalent 16:9 RPTV, they are identical in most cases. The chief exception is 4:3 Hitachi sets, which fake a squeeze by dropping out one of every four lines. For direct view sets, the shadow mask cannot be simultaneously optimized for every aspect ratio and resolution, so it's different for them.
    4:3 content on a 16:9 set often suffers, even when shown in OAR. The Pioneer Elites do a good job, but Mitsubishis don't.
    ------------------
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Philips_HDTV/joinClick to subscribe to Philips_HDTV discussion group
    [Edited last by Abdul Jalib on August 21, 2001 at 09:51 AM]