What's new

16:9 Vs. 4:3 and Question about Sony (1 Viewer)

I am very much ready to plunge into HDTV but I don't see a TV out there for me and perhaps someone knows of one I have missed. I believe I want 16:9 or am I wrong on that?
Should I settle for a 4:3 like the XBR40? IF I am only going to make one purchase in the next 10 yrs should I wait? The Toshiba 34HF81 seems like a TV I want but I am not impressed with the Demo at Best Buy. I really like the xbr40 but then again, it isn't 16:9. The only 16:9 that sony sells (direct view that is) has the built in tuner. Since I will be connecting to satellite, I find the built in tuner a waste. Anyone have any thoughts? Is sony going to release a 16:9 34inch or higher direct view TV w/o tuner?
Also, should I hold out for 720p? Every other set is 480p. I do not want to go projection.

Thanks,

Mike

Michael Lomker

Stunt Coordinator
You aren't going to see 720p in a direct view any time soon. Sony is releasing a set this fall without the tuner and it'll have a firewire input of some kind....a good choice to wait for if you insist on Sony. There are a lot of fine 34" sets from other manufacturers as well. I just bought the Panny a month ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks