16:9 TV's under 45" wide?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by SteveB, Jul 13, 2001.

1. SteveB

SteveB Auditioning

hey everyone, Im looking to buy a 16:9 widescreen tv, however, it cant be wider that 45 inches or so because its going in a custom space. Does anyone know of any besides the Panasonic PT-47WX51 and the Toshiba 40H80?
    Thanks

2. Eric M L

Eric M L Extra

You can get 34" direct view HDTVs from Panasonic, Sony, and a few others I think. Of course, they're all in the $3000+ range. [​IMG]

3. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    You may wish to look atwww.samsungusa.com if the LCD projectors interest you. I have the 40 inch widescreen in the bedroom which is a table top model. I believe Mitsubishi 46 inch model would also meed that criteria.

4. Greg S

Greg S Supporting Actor

I do believe the mits 46807 is 42" Wide. You can detail specs and measurements from Mits' site. I have a 46807 sitting on a 48" stand and it leaves a few inches on each side.
    Greg

5. SteveB

SteveB Auditioning

That mitsubishi looks nice....it does come with that built in stand though right? I need one with a built in cabinet.
    I have a 4:3 Panasonic HDTV and i want to bring it back and get a widescreen so I can watch my dvd's in 16:9....will they look noticeably better?

6. Steven Simon

Steven Simon Producer

Steven Simon
    Moved to Tv and Projector Area....
    ------------------
    Thanks,
    Steven R. Simon
    HTF Administrator
    Theater Pics Updated 6-11-2001
    Send Email: [email protected]

7. Greg S

Greg S Supporting Actor

Steve,
    The cabinet does not come with it. You have to purchase that separately, I think its about $250. There are lots of alternatives as well + you could always make your own stand.
    If you chose the Mits, get the 46807(last years model) as it is lower priced and easier to tweak than the new 46809 which has no new appreciable features added to it + several of the service menus are now locked out. For more info on the mits tvs check out the Mitsubishi section at
    www.hometheaterspot.com
    Also look around here for a member by the name of Ron-P as he and I both have the 46807 and love it. He has done more tweaking with his than I have so he would be a better source for the tweak info.
    BTW while I think the Toshiba set is very nice I would go with the Mits as it is a larger set and is highly tweakable(this is personal opinion only).
    Good Luck with your decision.
    Greg

8. SteveB

SteveB Auditioning

Hey Greg, thanks for all the help...I have a couple more questions though...
    First of all, will DVD's look noticeably better on a 16:9 tv as opposed to my Panasonic 4:3 HDTV?
    Pretty much the only reason I want a widescreen is because I think the dvd's are supposed to look a lot better.
    Also, how is regular tv programming? Is it all weird because of the odd shape of the tv?
    In other words, Im trying to figure out if its worth returning mine to get a 16:9 widescreen.

9. Greg S

Greg S Supporting Actor

On the DVD ??
    IMHO Yes they look exactly like they should. I personally hate watching my DVDs on a 4:3 set now. DVDs look awesome on my 46807 (I do have the Panasonic RP-91 Progressive scan which that helps).
    The stretched/expanded whatever you want to call it looks odd for about 15 minutes and then I haven't noticed it all since then. I remotely notice it when I stop watching the 16x9 and go upstairs and look at the 4:3 but otherwise its no biggie.
    Best suggestion I have for ya is take a look at it and decide for yourself.
    Besides if you are going to have a liberal return policy than bring it home and try it for a week and then decide.
    Greg

10. GilS

GilS Auditioning

Don't forget the upcoming Toshiba 42H81. This 16:9 set (42 inches wide) should be available late september/early october.

11. Marc Alexander

Marc Alexander Stunt Coordinator

Regarding the Mits 46809, I do not believe there is much difference between this and the 46807. Everything I have read indicates that all the same service menu lockouts apply to both sets. The 46805 is the only model that is not locked out and is fully tweakable.
    I have a 65807 and I would definitely recommend Mits. However, checkout the hometheaterspot like my friend above states.