16:9 TV or 4:3 with widescreen mode?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Barry S, Nov 14, 2001.

1. Barry S

Barry S Stunt Coordinator

I'm in the market for a new TV and DVD player. The player I'm looking at is the Toshiba SD3750 which is the cheapest progressive scan player I've seen yet ($199.99 at Amazon).
    I really want to get a 16:9 TV to take advantage of the wider aspect ratio and higher resolution on anamorphic DVDs. But now I hear about 4:3 TVs that have widescreen mode to give the same resolution without actually being 16:9 AR. So, I'm a bit confused. Should I go for a 16:9 or just get a 4:3 with widescreen mode? What's the difference, other than the obvious shape? I want one that is between 35 and 50 inches, but I don't really care if it's HDTV compatible or not, I just want the 16:9 aspect ratio. Do any 4:3 TVs accept progressive scan signals? Any help will be appreciated.
    Thanks

2. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

If the 4:3 can "squeeze" the anamorphic signal and give you full resolution it really doesn't matter much which you get. Although the 4:3 one will give you a bigger 4:3 picture than the 16:9 one will.
    Since all the viewing I care about is 16:9 or 2.35:1 I prefer the 16:9 shape on a TV. Also looks better to me (the TV itself, that is; I find large 4:3 TV's to look far too boxy. Obviously that is a personal preference. [​IMG] )
    ------------------
    /Kimmo

3. Barry S

Barry S Stunt Coordinator

Yes, I know what you mean about 4:3 TVs looking boxy. I love the shape of 16:9 TVs. How do you go about watching non-anamorphic DVDs on your set?

4. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer