16:9 squishing on SONY 27" FS100 Tv

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Randyp, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Randyp

Randyp Auditioning

I'm sure someone out there has seen this and may have the answer. When I put my tv into the 16:9 mode to watch widescreen DVD's the picture looks like Godzilla stepped (or sat) on it. I read some posting on an individual's website on how to tweak the set using a setup DVD by Sound & Vision. Any feedback if you have seen this happen and what fixed it?

2. nick_rh

nick_rh Stunt Coordinator

OK...two things. First of all, to take advantage of the 16x9 feature, you need to set your DVD player to output a widescreen picture. Go into your DVD setup menu and find the section that lets you select widescreen/4x3/letterbox format, and pick widescreen.

Second thing...not all DVDs are 16x9 enhanced. Some of them are just letterboxed. It's easy enough to tell; just start playing the movie, and if the picture looks vertically stretched out, you'll know it's 16x9 enhanced and you can enable the 16x9 mode on the TV. If the picture looks normal, just leave it as is.

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

To further emphasize what Nick says, simply adjust your DVD player's setup menu to let the player output a 16:9 signal and be done with it. You'll never have to go into the player's setup menu again (as long as you have a display that can do 16:9).

4. Randyp

Randyp Auditioning

I appreciate all the feedback but don't think the player I have now, Denon 2500, has an option to do 16:9 output. Do you have some models you know of or own that I may consider purchasing?

5. James Zos

James Zos Supporting Actor

"I appreciate all the feedback but don't think the player I have now, Denon 2500, has an option to do 16:9 output. Do you have some models you know of or own that I may consider purchasing?"

Most DVD players out now, except for the very cheap ones, should do 16:9, so asking people to recommend a player based solely on that is like asking people to recommend a player based soley on whether it has S-video output or not. There are too many other features you might want to look out for: You might want to expand your criteria before asking for a recommendation, price, picture quality, features, etc.

Are you sure the 2500 doesn't have a 16:9 output option? If not, do a search for recommended players and you should get a lot of hits. I'd be happy to recommend my player, the Panasonic CP72, but then again, I have no idea if it is what you're looking for. I think a lot of people would be willing to offer advice, but you might want to elaborate a little more.

I forgot to add, this should probably go into the DVD player forum...

6. Jason GT

Jason GT Second Unit

Look harder [​IMG]

That Denon is a pretty solid unit (most Denons, afaik, are!). From the old specsheet it has component video out. It would make little sense to provide a component out for something that could only display pan 'n scan stuff.

Try your setup menu, and do make sure that your DVD is 16:9 enhanced (which disc is it)?

7. Randyp

Randyp Auditioning

Yes! You know I never had a TV before that had a 16:9 mode so I never played with the setup on my Denon 2500 DVD player. It DOES have a 16:9 setting and works great with the Sony TV. I do need to get some good Monster THX component cables and I'll be set for now.