16:9 sets and scaling DVD players

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jerry Dreiss, Jan 26, 2003.

1. Jerry Dreiss

Jerry Dreiss Stunt Coordinator

I don't have my new TV yet, but I wanted to get "educated" anyway and ask this question: I've noticed that some folks here with 16:9 sets recommend DVD players that can "scale" non-anamorphic DVDs to fill their screens, eliminating gray or black bars on the sides. Such players mentioned are the Panny RP-91 and the JVC SA600.

Don't 16:9 sets offer such features built in? Is it an issue that they won't do it for a progressive input? Or is it an issue that DVD players do a better job then most sets?

I hope to be taking possession of a Loewe Aconda in the coming weeks, and after paying off THAT credit card bill will be shopping for a new DVD player.

2. Brent_H

Brent_H Second Unit

I have the Panasonic 53x42 RPTV and it locks into FULL mode when sent a 480p signal. I have a Denon 1600 player which doesn't have any scaling features that I know of, so I have to get up and push the PROGRESSIVE button on the player to put it into interlaced so use my TV's scaling......bleh.

3. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Even if your 16x9 TV does not "lock into full" mode with a 480p signal, the built-in scaler of the Panasonic RP-91 will provide a superior picture over the standard "zoom" feature of most widescreen TV's when viewing non-anamorphic widescreen DVDs. This is definitely the case when comparing the RP-91 with my Toshiba 56H80's TheaterWide 2 setting.

Doing the scaling in the player also has a convenience advantage over using the TV's viewing modes when watching supplemental material, which can alternate between anamorphic, non-anamorphic widescreen and full frame. Using the player's scaler, you just leave the TV in FULL mode and let the player automatically handle the different formats. If you use the TV's viewing modes, you will be constantly changing viewing modes when watching supplements.

4. Jerry Dreiss

Jerry Dreiss Stunt Coordinator

Interesting info Scott. Like I said, it'll be a couple of months before I buy the player. Hopefully the new Pannys will be shipping. If not I may go for the JVC SA600. It's more in my price range.

5. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Jerry, I would not count on the new Panasonic models having the built-in scaling feature of the current model RP-91. Early indications are that Panasonic is cheapening their 2003 DVD player line to lower the price. If this is true, it's too bad, because I would have considered replacing my RP-91 for a newer model that combined its scaling feature with the RP-82's superior performance with video-based material.

6. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Brent,

Are you sure your TV is the 53wx42, not 53wx41? I haven't bought a progressive player for mine yet, but all reports say the wx42 (this year's Panny's) do not lock into FULL mode w/ 480p inputs.

Anyway, another good thing about having scaling on the player is the handling of subtitles. TV zoom will force the subs off the screen.

_Man_

7. Brent_H

Brent_H Second Unit

Man-Fai:

I bought my Panny in September.....its a 53wx42....and yeah, it locks into Full....With my Pioneer 45-a it doesnt for some reason......the Denon 1600, it does.

8. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    That's pretty odd that it locks into FULL mode w/ the Denon, but not the Pioneer. Anyway, that's the very first time I've heard of a wx42 model locking into FULL mode across the various forum sites.

Maybe you should look into this more to find out why it's doing that w/ the Denon.

_Man_

9. FahnonB

FahnonB Extra

My Panny 53wx52 doesn't lock into full mode, but it does take away the "just" option when playing X-Box games in 480p...

10. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    The loss of Just mode on the wx42/52 models might be normal for 480p. I'm not sure, but the manual might actually say this (ie. exclude Just mode) in the section that lists the various modes available for each type of input.

_Man_

11. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

Jerry,

I believe as long as you alternate the viewing of material on your TV you shouldn't have to worry about those black bars and burn in. Also make sure you turn the contrast/picture down below 50%.

Kevin

12. Brent_H

Brent_H Second Unit

FahnonB hit the nail on the head.....I guess I use the term "lock" loosely. It only takes away the JUST mode in 480p....although I don't know why Panasonic chooses to do this. Shouldn't I be the one to decide which AR I want it in? bah....They need to understand that DVD players are all different and some force the 480p on you, while others automatically change to interlaced.....anyways, it makes me mad [​IMG]

13. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member

Doug
    Brent - DVD players don't change between progressive and interlaced output dynamically. You set the player to either mode and it stays there until you switch it.

14. Brent_H

Brent_H Second Unit

Doug--

The Pioneer dv-45a has an "auto progressive" feature you can turn on......16:9 formats are output as progressive while 4:3 are output as interlaced.

I just read it in the manual.

[​IMG]

15. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

Why wouldn't you want to output 4x3 material as progressive also? The only reason I could think to do this is if you had a widescreen set that locked into full mode in progressive when playing non-anamaphoric dvd or 4x3 aspect ratio dvd. Are there still many new widescreen sets that lock into full when fed a progressive signal?

16. Brent_H

Brent_H Second Unit

with my tv i would much rather output 4:3 as interlaced, i need the JUST mode on my Panny for 4:3 or I go insane.

17. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

My set up also has auto progressive, I can switch with the remote on the spot.

18. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member

Doug
    Brent - That's a first for me. I've never heard of a DVD player that does what the Pioneer does. Definitely the exception rather than the rule however, and it's an interesting solution to the lock in Full mode problem on some HDTVs. I'd rather have true scaling though.

Sean - Yep, my JVC allows switching between progressive and interlaced via the remote as well. A handy feature.