16:9 recommendations for up to 37"

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Walter Rowe, Jan 27, 2003.

1. Walter Rowe

Walter Rowe Auditioning

I am replacing my old 27" analog 4:3 set. I have limited space to work with (23" deep and 38" wide cabinet) and want to buy a 16:9 set. Given these constraints, it appears that the largest set I can fit in that space are 32", 34" and 37" screens, depending on whether they put speakers on the sides of the monitor (which I don't need). I want the highest resolution possible in this size.

Any recommendations? Any brands to stay away from?

2. anthony.b

anthony.b Auditioning

I recently bought a Samsung txm3096whf its 16:9 30" in diameter, out of the box it doesnt look that great, you will need to calibrate it (of course) to get a great looking picture. Im using it primarily for watching dvd's and eventually I will get a hd decoder. The dvds look very very very nice on this box. I was skeptical at first, but I am very impressed by the product samsung has put out, its too bad the factory settings are poor. You will need to turn of VM and adjust the convergence a bit to centre your image. it has 2 wide modes, one is "wide" the other "panoramic" and 2 zoom modes, and of course a 4:3 mode. the main reason for choosing this set was the price point 1799 canadian, the other ones are nice also, the panasonic 30" and 34" and the toshiba and sonys of course, but the price is out of my reach for 1799, hd compatible, the price is right, and image is fantastic once its tweaked. hope that helps.

3. dan fritzen

dan fritzen Second Unit

Walter I just got the 34" 16x9 Sony and it has a DVI input plus 2 HD component inputs and 2 s video inputs. very nice set. Just like the Samsung I had to disable the. that VM makes satellite signals look horrible.

4. Walter Rowe

Walter Rowe Auditioning

Two sets I have considered are the Sony 32" plasma (KE-32TS2) and the Philips 34" direct view (34PW9818). Philips also makes the 34PW9847. I cannot tell the difference between that and the 9818 other than one has a silver chasis and the other has a charcoal chasis.

The Sony costs about $3900, has reverse 3:2 pull-down, advertises a 1000:1 contrast ratio, and only weighs 60 pounds.

The Philips costs about $2300, does not contain pull-down technology, does not advertise their contrast ratio, and weights 175 pounds.

Both sets fit the space I have. Most other sets do not fit the space I have, or do not support full resolution HDTV.

For example, the Panasonic 37" fits the space, but only supports 852x480 resolution.