16:9 problem with Sharp 32C231 32 inch TV....

Discussion in 'Displays' started by TommyWMedford, Mar 17, 2004.

1. TommyWMedford

TommyWMedford Stunt Coordinator

Hi all. I just got this set at Best Buy a few days ago. I think it's a very decent set for the money. It has all the inputs I need and more. The picture is pretty good in 4:3 mode with DVD's using a component cable. In 16:9, however, the picture is stunning. I could swear I was viewing a progressive scan signal. But there seems to be a little problem. The image seems to be stretched, with everything looking taller than they should be. I've checked all of the settings with the DVD player, and everything is in order. I used to have a Sony 27 inch that had the same problem in 16:9 mode, but it was easily fixed by accessing the service menu. Do Sharp TV's have a service menu? I'm hoping they do, and that this is something that can be fixed by simply adjusting a few settings. Can anyone help me out on this? I hate to return this TV. It weighs over 100 lbs lol. Thanks...

Thomas

2. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

With a TV in that price range there would certainly be some overscan and geometry settings that you could adjust.

Unknowns:

WHether the settings are screwdriver adjustments in the back as opposed to service menu items,

Whether there is just one set of settings for both 4:3 and 16:9 (not so good) so fixing 16:9 will mess up 4:3.

How badly changing the picture dimensions will throw off convergence and geometry and straightness of lines.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Tommy, you say your settings are correct, but what you describe makes it sound as if your player is outputting in "4:3 letterbox" mode. Make sure your setup menu is set to output a 16:9 signal.

4. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

I am going to assume that the TV is not a 16x9 widescreen set and is 4:3, correct. If your DVD player is set to 16x9 mode and you play a 16x9 movie on your 4:3 TV, yes, you will see the whole image, no black bars, but it will be stretched like you noticed. You need to set your DVD player to 4:3 Letterbox mode in order for the film to be displayed correctly on your 4:3 TV. I had the same issue when I first bought my Panasonic DVD player.

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

No, his Sharp does have a 16:9 mode. And, as I said, it sounds like his player is set to "4:3 letterbox" when it should be set at "16:9."

6. TommyWMedford

TommyWMedford Stunt Coordinator

The DVD Player is set to 16:9. I don't know what the problem is. I called Sharp, and they told me they didn't know what was wrong, either. I guess I can call Best Buy tomorrow, see what they say, or I can even call a service technician, see if there's a service menu to get in to, and go ahead and get them to calibrate it if they can fix the problem. Anyways, thanks for all the replies.