16:9 or Panorama? Which shows the OAR?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by BrentJ, Sep 27, 2004.

1. BrentJ

BrentJ Second Unit

I have a Samsung TXP3071WH set and it has a setting called Panorama. My question is when I watch a Widescreen movie it shows more of the movie (edges) in panorama mode than it does in 16:9 mode. Which mode is the correct mode to be watching the OAR? Thanks for any help that you may provide and I hope this question isn't too confusing.

Brent

2. BrentJ

BrentJ Second Unit

Anyone got any idea? thanks

3. Lev-S

Lev-S Second Unit

Player in 16:9 mode, TV in "Full" mode (or whatever default mode).

4. BrentJ

BrentJ Second Unit

Thanks. I just don't understand why when watching in the panorama mode I see more of the movie than I do in the 16:9 mode?

5. John S

John S Producer

I'm gonna say somehow, your panoramic mode, squeezes the picture in somehow so there is no overscan or something?

Overscan has it's purposes. If the geometry still looks good, I am just not sure at all what is going on with it.

6. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Some aspect ratio modes, the name may vary, stretch the sides more than the middle. This may give the illusion of showing slightly more or less of the sides of the picture.

Unfortunately not all TV sets have separate memories for each aspect ratio mode if you decide to go into the service mode to adjust the overscan.

Just use what looks best for each movie. As a hint, circles should not look oval-ish.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm